Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re constantly belittling, moaning and object to anything positive about Tesla though. Literally every time I read your post, it’s always negative. You have to be a developer or in software of some sort, I’m sure of it!

So I’m not quite sure how you’ve ended up with 2 new cars from Tesla. 😂
I think he said before he is a developer so your on the money there 😆 Though why do you think all developers are negative?

Yeah I'm aware of that on cars with a LIM function and maybe this would be the same but how much acceleration does it then decide to give you? Full beans on a regular slow ICE vehicle is a little different to full throttle on a Model 3 Performance. Or if it doesn't give you full power, how much and how do you get more when it's fully floored?

I get if the user wants to turn it on and I know laws will no doubt force it on us but just saying I think it's stupid. I mean just today went to overtake a cyclist, he decided as I was overtaking him in a 30 to start to speed up a lot (Guessing an ebike). Overtake now taking much longer than expected, car comes into view on opposite side of the road. I have 3 choices:

1. Abort overtake but not possible because now another car has moved up behind the cyclist.
2. Move back left and knock the cyclist off his bike. Not a good idea because the Model 3 is easy to dent so not sure a cyclist will just buff out of the paint work.
3. Crash into the oncoming car, also not a great idea as I'd be at fault even though it was the idiot cyclists speeding up as I went to overtake that put me in this situation.
4. A small dab of the accelerator, speed up a bit and easily get past.

Seeing as I'd just read this topic before hand and how some of your really don't like speeding I had to go with option 2.
If you’ve never used such a system, it works fine. Takes almost no getting used to and I never felt like I was in any kind of danger when using it. The scenarios you describe just didn’t exist in the many years I was with 2 E350’s

Reactions: Simonsquiff
If you’ve never used such a system, it works fine. Takes almost no getting used to and I never felt like I was in any kind of danger when using it. The scenarios you describe just didn’t exist in the many years I was with 2 E350’s
I have used those systems but not for maybe 15 odd years because I’ve had radar based cruise which is better than a simple limiter.

Point is the cars I had back then were pretty powerful for the time but nothing like cars now. You’d have to hit kick-down normally to switch it off and accelerate in an emergency but that wouldn’t be too fast to be dangerous.

A M3P is going to shoot off very quickly, a Model 3 RWD on full throttle to turn off a limiter might be losing traction in the rear wheels in some weather conditions.

I’m fine with giving people the option but not fine with it being enforced. Doesn’t mean they won’t do it but I don’t think it’s needed. All the other active safety systems we have do a great job and road deaths have been dropping. You’ll always have some at least until the perfect AI driver comes along.

People in my village constantly demand average speed cameras, there’s a village road safety group that go out with a speed gun and then share the results. In like maybe 200 drivers they see over a period, maybe 7 are speeding with an average of around 5mph over the limit. The comments are normally then how it’s an epidemic of speeding and someone is going to die (No one has so far). And I think they should see Peterborough and then they won’t complain, people going 70 in 30’s, over 120 in 70’s, etc. They just have no idea in their sheltered little village life :)

I have used those systems but not for maybe 15 odd years because I’ve had radar based cruise which is better than a simple limiter.

Point is the cars I had back then were pretty powerful for the time but nothing like cars now. You’d have to hit kick-down normally to switch it off and accelerate in an emergency but that wouldn’t be too fast to be dangerous.

A M3P is going to shoot off very quickly, a Model 3 RWD on full throttle to turn off a limiter might be losing traction in the rear wheels in some weather conditions.

I’m fine with giving people the option but not fine with it being enforced. Doesn’t mean they won’t do it but I don’t think it’s needed. All the other active safety systems we have do a great job and road deaths have been dropping. You’ll always have some at least until the perfect AI driver comes along.

People in my village constantly demand average speed cameras, there’s a village road safety group that go out with a speed gun and then share the results. In like maybe 200 drivers they see over a period, maybe 7 are speeding with an average of around 5mph over the limit. The comments are normally then how it’s an epidemic of speeding and someone is going to die (No one has so far). And I think they should see Peterborough and then they won’t complain, people going 70 in 30’s, over 120 in 70’s, etc. They just have no idea in their sheltered little village life :)
Radar cruise control would be used in totally different scenarios to a speed limiter so they can’t be compared.

As for acceleration, the car won’t (shouldn’t) speed up at some stupid rate if you put your foot down to the floor to exit the system. In normal circumstances you push to the floor to disengage, release the pressure and the car will coast past what you need to bypass.

The entire process could be controlled easily by software.

Radar cruise control would be used in totally different scenarios to a speed limiter so they can’t be compared.

As for acceleration, the car won’t (shouldn’t) speed up at some stupid rate if you put your foot down to the floor to exit the system. In normal circumstances you push to the floor to disengage, release the pressure and the car will coast past what you need to bypass.
I compare them because only time I’ve needed a limiter is in an average speed camera zone but cruise control works better for that.

In an emergency then you basically only have one level of acceleration which might be not enough or could be too much. Coming off pedal is then regen breaking where as if you needed to accelerate quickly is last thing you want.

It get that you probably want to set this in a village at 30. Slow down for junctions and roundabouts and then speed up but not beyond 30 so why cruise control doesn’t cover this. No issues if Tesla want to offer it though they are short of buttons they could use at this point to maybe fit it in and guessing demand is so low for it they just aren’t going to bother.

Just don’t enforce it and make us have it at all times.

I compare them because only time I’ve needed a limiter is in an average speed camera zone but cruise control works better for that.

In an emergency then you basically only have one level of acceleration which might be not enough or could be too much. Coming off pedal is then regen breaking where as if you needed to accelerate quickly is last thing you want.

It get that you probably want to set this in a village at 30. Slow down for junctions and roundabouts and then speed up but not beyond 30 so why cruise control doesn’t cover this. No issues if Tesla want to offer it though they are short of buttons they could use at this point to maybe fit it in and guessing demand is so low for it they just aren’t going to bother.

Just don’t enforce it and make us have it at all times.
Many will use the speed limiter when driving manually with no automatics engaged. It just stops you inadvertently driving faster than the speed you’ve set.

I think your villagers worry that if someone is hit the difference between 20 and 30 or 35 is literally life and death.
That's why there's a lot of twenty's plenty signs near me, and when it's school clearing out time and I drive past the primary in my mind a child is at the edge of each parked car ready to walk out. I crawl past.
I think my point is I don't need a sign to tell me that and those who do just ignore them anyway. Dangerous drivers are dangerous, I suppose they'd be limited by this initiative, depending on implementation. Perhaps it would make things worse the way people accelerate after speed cameras.

Last edited:
There are many 30 and 20 limits round here with cars parked to weave in and out of. A speed limiter is the perfect tool for the job. Cruise, and I’ve tried it, is a complete waste of time. It’s not designed for towns and villages. Teslavision is too scared of parked cars and pedestrians. Other cars may vary.
My Ioniq had lane keep, dumb cruise, smart cruise and a limiter. It could handle every situation. I’m sorry to say that Tesla’s cruise does a pretty poor job at the best of times.

There are many 30 and 20 limits round here with cars parked to weave in and out of. A speed limiter is the perfect tool for the job. Cruise, and I’ve tried it, is a complete waste of time. It’s not designed for towns and villages. Teslavision is too scared of parked cars and pedestrians. Other cars may vary.
My Ioniq had lane keep, dumb cruise, smart cruise and a limiter. It could handle every situation. I’m sorry to say that Tesla’s cruise does a pretty poor job at the best of times.
Yeah I guess I've just never felt the need for a limiter other than in average camera zones. I can keep the speed close enough that you'd not get into any trouble, it's more where in a strange place and you miss a sign or its not even there which can be an issue. Not too common but not all roads in this country are properly signed.

I've no issue if they offer an optional one for those that want it. How would you engage it though? One tap down for limiter, two for cruise control and 3 for autopilot and 4 still for rainbow road? Does maybe get a bit more complex, the don't really have enough physical controls for this.