Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Supercharger pronunciation guide?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere that Tess-la is the Serbian pronunciation, which seems to be confirmed by Wikipedia.
Correct. Tess-La is the correct pronunciation for Nikola Tesla. I asked when I visited his home in Belgrade.

As an aside, my Slovak in-laws have owned Tesla electronics for well over 30 years. Musk's legal team were in talks with the (now) Czech electronics company in the early days and came to a 'coexistence' agreement about joint use of the name.

Tesla (Czechoslovak company) - Wikipedia.

xrpdi8dhxyp41.jpg

I read somewhere that Tess-la is the Serbian pronunciation, which seems to be confirmed by Wikipedia.

Good, thats how I pronounce it.

I've been self conscious on pronouncing things ever since mis-pronouncing in a class the Latin of the white stemmed bramble exactly as I had been learning the spelling and not the correct pronunciation :oops: "I must pronounce this correctly, I must pronounce this correctly, 'rubus *************', oh *sugar*, did I really just say that out loud to the whole class"

Now the Wyboston, UK Supercharger is officially open, can I ask how it's pronounced? I'm not local and don't have any references to compare it with but as a native Brit I am wary enough to know that it could be anything from "Why-BOS-ton" to "WIB-stun" via "WIB-uzzun"...

Most of the UK site names are straight forward but while I'm here, can I check a couple more?:
Michaelwood - "MIKKLE-wood" (a bit like Michaelmas)?
Amesbury - "AHHms-burrie" (rather than AIMs-burrie)?

The other possible gotcha's that will be familiar to Brits but might catch out visitors:
Edinburgh, North Greenwich, Warwick

Any others?
Thanks for the informative answers (and entertaining chat), now I have

Wyboston - "Why-Bos-Ton"
Michaelwood - "MIKKLE-wood"
Amesbury - "AIMs-burrie" (could be live within days?)
Gordano - "Gore-Day-No" (I don't know if I've ever said it out loud but I had this wrong in my head!)

Plus this one which was familiar to me, a bit like not emphasising "ham" for somewhere like "Wokingham":
Maidstone - "Maid-stn"

I'm going to add Reading to the gotcha list for visitors:
Edinburgh, North Greenwich, Reading, Warwick

So I can set off on my travels confident I won't be committing a faux pas ("forks pass"?) should I engage in socially distanced conversation. All I need now is the CCS retrofit to make some of the above appear on my car's Nav map!

Thanks for the informative answers (and entertaining chat), now I have

Wyboston - "Why-Bos-Ton"
Michaelwood - "MIKKLE-wood"
Amesbury - "AIMs-burrie" (could be live within days?)
Gordano - "Gore-Day-No" (I don't know if I've ever said it out loud but I had this wrong in my head!)

Plus this one which was familiar to me, a bit like not emphasising "ham" for somewhere like "Wokingham":
Maidstone - "Maid-stn"

I'm going to add Reading to the gotcha list for visitors:
Edinburgh, North Greenwich, Reading, Warwick

So I can set off on my travels confident I won't be committing a faux pas ("forks pass"?) should I engage in socially distanced conversation. All I need now is the CCS retrofit to make some of the above appear on my car's Nav map!

Just wait until (if?) Lie-sez-starr Forest east goes live.