Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] used value of their Tesla cars plummeting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorway will track for you. My advice is don’t!

3739EFB9-B319-48F1-B75A-C08EF238A500.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
When I bought my M3 SR+, I worked on the principle that the car would be worth 50% after 4 years, or about £20K. I nearly went for a petrol car at £32K, that would have deprecated to around £16K in the same peroid.
So getting a Tesla would have cost an additional £4K. Not so bad, to drive a leading edge EV, instead of a crappy slow ICE car!
However, when taking into account petrol savings, tax, etc. I'm looking at being £6K up, after 4 years. Hence I'm not worried about the current price drop.

Reactions: Dayreg
Bubble has burst in more ways than one. I wouldn’t expect things to improve in 2023 either.

On top of that I would be amazed if Tesla don’t drop the price of the 3 and Y in all configurations by £5000, to account for softening demand and interest rates. They have the margin to do it.

That would naturally have an effect on used car prices as well.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Wow. 45 MYPs in inventory this morning.

Supply and demand are certainly not matched.

Not really, there were none the other day and about 200 a week before that.

They will be gone by the end of next week and then they will make no sales until February until the next boat arrives.

It’s entirely normal for car manufacturers to have inventory. The shortages are easing up at many manufacturers now and outside of some niche vehicles, it’s expected there will be a glut of cars available on the market towards the end of 2023. Expect price drops across the board next year.

It’s also not surprising given when I bought my model 3 a year ago I paid £42k and the finance is at 4%. If you buy one now it’s £48.5k and the finance is 5% (I’m sure it was 6% at one point too) and we are going into or already in a recession.

I’d not be buying a Model 3 SR at nearly £50k (adding paint) in the current market. The car is nice, but it’s not £50k nice.

I find this a great source of info and a fascinating read to see what’s happening to prices. I think they’re the advertised prices, not necessarily what you can get for the car, but trends are trends. You can see the number of cars on the market climb and almost mirrors the average prices - more for sale, the lower the price, the classic supply/demand impact. The best thing that can happen for our prices is Tesla stop shipping so many to us for a while. I’ve even heard there’s new inventory MS and MX in Europe, that was damn quick given deliveries have only just started.

When I bought my M3 SR+, I worked on the principle that the car would be worth 50% after 4 years, or about £20K. I nearly went for a petrol car at £32K, that would have deprecated to around £16K in the same period.
So getting a Tesla would have cost an additional £4K. Not so bad, to drive a leading edge EV, instead of a crappy slow ICE car!
However, when taking into account petrol savings, tax, etc. I'm looking at being £6K up, after 4 years. Hence I'm not worried about the current price drop.
Just to add to my above comment, I have enjoyed the "Tesla journey" since owning my first M3. Yes, there have been some ups and downs but generally I have never enjoyed owning a car so much as my Tesla model 3 SR+!
Today, I drove to Cheltenham and enjoyed using autopilot, the sound system and the "new" auto cancel indicators. This car just gets better and better and I am wiling to put up with its intricacies like the wipers and AHB... Remembering that no car is perfect...

Mine's a Co car.
Forgive my mercenary approach but I'd be delighted if the value tanked....it would make a decent private purchase.
Forgiven...Some will win and some will lose. It's just the way it is. Ive been waiting for a few years for the credit bubble to burst and the recession to come in and interest rates shoot up sending property prices down.

Status
Not open for further replies.