Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are configuring our Model X now and my wife and I are discussing seat cover options. I like the Ultra White, but she is concerned about stains, scuffs, and (most importantly) yellowing with age over the years. Obviously, no one has had their MX for years yet to know how the Ultra White seats will hold up, but any comments from owners with white seats would be helpful.

Does anyone know if this material has been used in other vehicles that have been out longer?

I saw yellowish discoloration in one of the test drive vehicles in Meet the Model X with ultrawhite seats.
It's funny you should say that as I think we saw the same vehicles (in Vancouver) and I was encouraged by how clean the white seats were after many hundreds (thousands?) of people crawling in and out. These vehicles are probably only a few months old so yellowish discoloration already would be pretty concerning. Clearly I'm not as observant but I was also encouraged by the fact that the service and sales people who were detailing the vehicles, said how easy it was to clean the white seats and how good they still looked. Maybe this is relative as I thought the tan seats looked pretty worn out.

Addendum: I'm going to order the white seats

We are configuring our Model X now and my wife and I are discussing seat cover options. I like the Ultra White, but she is concerned about stains, scuffs, and (most importantly) yellowing with age over the years. Obviously, no one has had their MX for years yet to know how the Ultra White seats will hold up, but any comments from owners with white seats would be helpful.

Does anyone know if this material has been used in other vehicles that have been out longer?
I have the Ultra White seats configured on my X and taking delivery soon. I had a BMW M5 that had similar color seats and dirt did show up more often as my kids were younger at that time. I found that using a good leather conditioner and cleaner prevented the seats from getting too dirty and made cleaning a lot easier. If you and your wife are the main occupants in the car, I wouldn't worry too much if that is the color that you really like.

I have a ultra white seats in my MX. Only been driving the car for a little under a week. So far so good but I am concerned about discoloration. Equally worrisome, the seats are super soft. Much softer than my wife's black leather seats on her MX. It will be interesting to see how well the softer white seats hold up over time...

I have the Ultra White seats configured on my X and taking delivery soon. I had a BMW M5 that had similar color seats and dirt did show up more often as my kids were younger at that time. I found that using a good leather conditioner and cleaner prevented the seats from getting too dirty and made cleaning a lot easier. If you and your wife are the main occupants in the car, I wouldn't worry too much if that is the color that you really like.
Obviously any dirt or stains will be more visible; however, my understanding is that they are synthetic leather with a stain resistant coating. Therefore they should be easier to clean than leather.

I'm also ordering in Ultra White, I think; but: I talked to the service-people when I test-drove; and they told me that the *same material* is used on the seating/furniture *in the stores*. I took a close look at a lot of that; there was no ‘yellowing’, but it was *definitely* showing every pair of black-jeans that had sat on it. (Lots of black'ing around the edges of the square seats; and the ‘grain’ of the leather was increasingly visible on the top, where black had set into the grooves, by comparison to the sides/bottom which were still pristine white.)

Wish I'd taken some photos, actually.

I'm banking on the ability to clean it up well, as Mclark mentions, but … I'm definitely worried.

My UW seats are one of my favorite parts of the car. I love them. Can't speak directly to the longevity, obviously - but I can say that there are a couple of potential problem areas - I believe if you have a 7-seat configuration, there is a felt-like material on the sides of the middle seat (I have a 6-seat so I don't have that). If so, I can imagine that getting dirty. That same material is between the folding 3rd row seats and in the cubby where the seat belt receptacles tuck away. I imagine that felt is going to also be dirty.

Maybe someone with leather can say if they have the same felt? Surely white will get dirtier than black or tan, but I'm genuinely curious.

My UW seats are one of my favorite parts of the car. I love them. Can't speak directly to the longevity, obviously - but I can say that there are a couple of potential problem areas - I believe if you have a 7-seat configuration, there is a felt-like material on the sides of the middle seat (I have a 6-seat so I don't have that). If so, I can imagine that getting dirty. That same material is between the folding 3rd row seats and in the cubby where the seat belt receptacles tuck away. I imagine that felt is going to also be dirty.

Maybe someone with leather can say if they have the same felt? Surely white will get dirtier than black or tan, but I'm genuinely curious.
I agree the white leather combined with the huge windshield creates a glowing cabin. The cream headliner adds to the brightness. When you open the FWD's you can watch the jaws drop. People have to touch the seats and comment how awesome they are. Cleaning and staining is TBT. I wonder how much it would be to proactively purchase a replacement set of leather front seats?

I agree the white leather combined with the huge windshield creates a glowing cabin. The cream headliner adds to the brightness. When you open the FWD's you can watch the jaws drop. People have to touch the seats and comment how awesome they are. Cleaning and staining is TBT. I wonder how much it would be to proactively purchase a replacement set of leather front seats?
Do you have the white seats and the light headliner?

I've only seen one other like this but I'm sure there are a few. Only available to some sigs as the black headliner was mandated for the white seats by Franz. ;)

Of the two sig X's I've seen (online) with white seats and white headliner, both owners commented that they wish they had the black headliner.

I think Tesla should have offered an actual white headliner and not the light tan/cream color that their current "white" one is. If they had a true white option to better match the ultra white seats, I think that would make a lot more sense. OTOH, I'm not sure I'd want a blinding white frame around my windshield. ...Of course, I don't like white bezels on my phones or tablets either, so maybe it's just me. Not a fan of the current white headliner in the X or S. I think it only looks good with the tan seats and even then, the black still always looks better. All subjective, of course.

Do you have the white seats and the light headliner?

I've only seen one other like this but I'm sure there are a few. Only available to some sigs as the black headliner was mandated for the white seats by Franz. ;)
Yes, I have cream HL with white seats. I understand the match issue but prefer it to the dark especially after driving it. I would order the same again.

Reactions: goneskiian
Not a fan of the current white headliner in the X or S. I think it only looks good with the tan seats and even then, the black still always looks better. All subjective, of course.
I have the tan/white headliner in my Model S with grey seats. Definitely a mismatch, and it has always kind of bothered me, but with the lower roofline, I appreciate the brightness it adds (along with my pano). I was apprehensive about the forced black headliner on my X, but I knew I didn't want the mismatch again with the white seats, so I probably would have picked it anyway. Turns out I like it a lot. The seats are bright enough that the interior space is still very light, and the dark frames the window nicely and sort of disappears.

And yeah, I'm also a "space grey" iPhone buyer because I don't like the white frame.

Reactions: Kacey Green and ssq
I saw yellowish discoloration in one of the test drive vehicles in Meet the Model X with ultrawhite seats.
I just test drove the X in Devon, PA. Had the yellow stains in the rear people are commenting about. Salesmen told me an employee put a spare tire a cross the second row seats without protection leaving the stain. I could see the tread lines in the stain, so I think it is true.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I just test drove the X in Devon, PA. Had the yellow stains in the rear people are commenting about. Salesmen told me an employee put a spare tire a cross the second row seats without protection leaving the stain. I could see the tread lines in the stain, so I think it is true.
He put a spare tire on a white seat???? [Donald Trump voice] You're Fired!

I really wanted to get the white but had some friends talk me out of it. Even a
Passenger's jeans could rub off on the seats.

Or if there are any smokers in the family, nicotine stains are a real concern. Or I guess resin build up, if you're not smoking cigarettes. ;)

I went with black in the end. You can't go wrong with black...
Although the white is sooo sexy! :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: MikeC
My previous car had near white synthetic material on the door -- it was robust, and stains were easily cleaned... but my jeans permanently tinted a small part of the door that my leg regularly rubbed up against. As such, with white seats... I'd definitely try to avoid similar friction.