Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to turn on climate from any app - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jdw

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver
Using Tesla app, Remote S or Teslafi, when I turn on climate, it stays on for 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. 90% charge, plugged in or not, makes no difference.

Wondering if this is local to me, or if anyone else is seeing this?

Using Tesla app, Remote S or Teslafi, when I turn on climate, it stays on for 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. 90% charge, plugged in or not, makes no difference.

Wondering if this is local to me, or if anyone else is seeing this?

This is happening to me also this morning. On car software 50.2 , and iphone app 3.2.3 .
I tried it both with the car plugged in, and unplugged. the climate turns on for 5-10 seconds, and turns off.
-Didn't reboot the mcu in the car yet, but it sounds like this is not car specific.

Mine resolved by itself as I mentioned, but it may be worth noting that when I turned the heat on manually after the app failed, the heat came on very slowly. I manually set the temp to Hi, and nothing happened for 2-3 minutes and then it ramped up slowly from there.

Worked fine from the app this morning.

I had this too, but totally turning off the app and then restarting it seems to fix it (actually stopping it, not just press the home button). (Needs a few more tests to insure that the workaround really works.) What I think happens is that because there are notifications, the App now thinks it's still connected and doesn't properly handshake with the car. I'd call this a programming error in the latest release.

I had this too, but totally turning off the app and then restarting it seems to fix it (actually stopping it, not just press the home button). (Needs a few more tests to insure that the workaround really works.) What I think happens is that because there are notifications, the App now thinks it's still connected and doesn't properly handshake with the car. I'd call this a programming error in the latest release.

That fixed me. Dumped the iOS app, restarted it, and it's turning climate on and off now without issue. Thanks.

My S recently returned from the SC with a new heater core. Techs tested using custom settings to force it to run in high. While I could turn it on/off from app I had between random and no control of temperature setting. Had control in the car on the console. Found custom settings were in effect. Reset to the auto default and app control has been fine ever since. Sadly didn’t note exactly what was set that caused the problem.

I was having this problem after the most recent upgrade (when the car wasnt plugged in or driving), my settings for power management were energy saving=on, always connected=true. When i turned off energy savings everything worked again. Worth whatever losses to be able to turn on heat from my office.

After working for the last week or so, this has been going on again for the past two days ... the app connects but climate will not turn on/ stay on. Plus, when I get into the car and turn the heat on manually, it takes about 5 minutes to "spool up" and actually start working normally.

After working for the last week or so, this has been going on again for the past two days ... the app connects but climate will not turn on/ stay on. Plus, when I get into the car and turn the heat on manually, it takes about 5 minutes to "spool up" and actually start working normally.
If you delete the Tesla app and only use Remote S to start the climate, does it work better?

Perhaps I missed it but did you clarify what firmware you are on? That may help find a pattern / grouping of affected users. Something seems very odd with the "spooling up" time like it is not related to the different methods you use since they all do the same thing (phone app, browser/server app, etc).

I am having intermittent problems. Sometimes I select heat and it will go to on but show the gray air lines (not heat) and will shutoff after 15 seconds. I can keep forcing it to try to remote heat but it will not work.

Sometimes it works just fine. I think its an app issue.

I'm on 50.3 and I have the latest app version (Android OS).