Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may be right. But there may be a chance that the fuse can be replaced later on "at a cost of course". The following link shows a brake down of the battery pack and displays that the fuse can be replaced:

Pics/Info: Inside the battery pack

That's exactly what I said. I would find it very odd that a fuse, which by design is used to protect the circuit would not be replaceable part. That's why I pointed out that it would be a matter of time with Tesla prioritizing on those already with the upgraded (higher current) fuse. Typically a fuse with a specific current rating is selected to blow (cutting off the circuit) at a current just below the rating the wires and other components are able to carry without excessive heat and ultimately melting and possibly catching on fire. It is a sacrificial component by design.

The only catch to this is if Tesla also upgraded the wires and other components in the power train as part of the fuse upgrade. Then it would be more than just the fuse that needs to be upgraded in order to delivery more current which I believe, is the primary contributor to this performance upgrade. I'm guessing this is not the case and Tesla purposely upgraded the fuse knowing the the rest of the components can handle more current. I keep using the word upgrade but it is just a fuse that handles more current, nothing specifically 'better" about it.

Usually parts are ordered and installed in batches. Likely if there are fuses that are the reason for some ineligibility, it can potentially be tracked to a specific batch/time when those fuses were installed...once we have enough data in the tracker XLS, based on manufacturing date, there could be rough estimations when the "cost-saving" fuses were installed (for lack of better naming, I am thinking the lower-amperage fuses would have lower costs).

More clarification from Corporate. I don't get the impression that any of the service centers outside of North America have been briefed yet.

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017 (clarified Tuesday, October 24, 2017)​
  • This software update is only applicable to 75D (dual motor). The powertrain in RWD 75 Model S before June 19, 2017 was not designed to support the torque and current draw required to deliver the enhanced performance.
  • This update is focused exclusively on 75D. 60D and 70D customers need to pay for the range upgrade to 75D to even be eligible for uncorking as the enhanced performance update.
  • This was a global change, so Service teams in UK and Canada will have access to the same eligible VIN list. We are still rolling out the communication but I expect all teams to be caught up soon.
  • This update is best managed through a hardwired connection in Service…encourage those that want it to follow our recommended process.

Last edited:
Just called and was put on hold for 30seconds and got the confirmation that my car is eliglble (160xxx, built 9/16, original 75D). Scheduled this Friday. Takes 2hrs to have a hardwire connection with car - hence needs service visit.

I asked him if he had any advice for 60D owners looking for performance upgrade: He said to visit my tesla page and look for bulletins for their car. Also consider the upgrade....he wasn't really hinting at anything, but my take on his line was that, Tesla is trying to provide the faster 4.2sec number for 75D cars only (per their original marketing release - S and X 75Ds get the performance bump). This is perhaps the lowest base model for this performance (even though 60Ds are actually 75Ds). For 60D owners, hang in there. If you are in the fence on spending the $2K, my guess is if you upgraded today, your VIN would be pushed into a queue into the corporate team that is evaluating eligibility (which h/w you have). Until you get a 75D, they are perhaps not looking into the parts detail of your car. This is my take, not official. Good luck folks. I will report back after Friday upgrade.

More clarification from Corporate

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017​
  • This software update is only applicable to 75D (dual motor). The powertrain in RWD 75 Model S and X built before June 19, 2017 was not designed to support the torque and current draw required to deliver the enhanced performance.​
  • This was a global change, so Service teams in UK and Canada will have access to the same eligible VIN list. We are still rolling out the communication but I expect all teams to be caught up soon.​
  • This update is best managed through a hardwired connection in Service…encourage those that want it to follow our recommended process.​

Thanks again Krash. My local SC hadn't quite gotten up to speed. Hopefully they will be in agreement to uncork my 174xxx VIN S75D by Nov 2 as we scheduled. They saw it said eligible but still believed that they could not do it per corporate's 7/1/17 temporal cutoff.

I asked him if he had any advice for 60D owners looking for performance upgrade: He said to visit my tesla page and look for bulletins for their car. Also consider the upgrade....

That said, I checked My tesla page for my car, and didn't see any bulletins about my car being eligible...but perhaps, this is something that Tesla is hoping to do to communicate with 75D owners? No idea, lots of guessing...

To all those that are wondering what criteria Tesla is using to qualify a car for uncorking vs not, I do believe that patience is
required.
When the 75's performance changed overnight on the Tesla website on July 1st, many people including myself called SC's, Fremont and many other customer service reps and started questioning. The difference and disparities with the answers from Tesla employees was almost a joke and completely not consistent.

This new uncorking event is only a few days old and many Tesla reps don't even know what the hell is going on...

Let this whole thing settle a bit and I am pretty sure more accurate answers will emerge as to which cars qualify, and so on.

-Fact- I just dropped off my car to get uncorked and the SA asked me if I had already paid for the upgrade?? When I told her that I thought
this was free when I made the appointment with the Service Manager, she said, "Oh, ok then"
Now imagine if she was the person picking up your call to answer questions you had about uncorking.

Just goes to prove that this whole thing is VERY , VERY new to all.

Hoping everyone is eligible to get Uncorked!

• Informative
Reactions: Windy City S
I couldn't agree more. This will only get easier over time. While I was willing to wait until Tesla has this process ironed out and well communicated, I figured it didn't hurt to shoot out an email. Even a phone call was considered too much effort by me at this point :)

I would like to give the Dallas Service Center props as their answer was pretty clear. They have been consistently fast to respond and I've had great experiences across the 3 service appointments I've had with my two Tesla's. I guess that's one of the benefits of being outside of Teslaland (California). And, no, I'm not a native Texan. I just moved here from San Diego.

My request email:

Hi Service Center,

I have heard the outstanding news that Tesla has decided to push the recent performance improvement to all "recent" Model S and Model X 75D's. This is being referred to as "uncorking" on the forums. I also understand that this is a two hour update that can only be done at the service center. Would you kindly confirm this information and that my VIN (in the subject) is eligible and let me know if this is something I can schedule in the near future?

Thank you,
Christopher

Less than 24 hours later, the response:

Good Morning Christopher,

Yes, as many have learned, Tesla is able to uncork the performance on 75D Model S and Model X, however there are limitations to the vehicles that can be uncorked. Some vehicles do not have the necessary hardware to perform the upgrade. Eligible vehicles have already been confirmed, and your vehicle is on that list! We would be happy to perform the service, and it does take a bit longer than 2 hours. Most of the time is spent installing a software update, and for that reason we would like for it to be in our hands for at least half a day, to ensure it is properly installed with no errors. Can you confirm your availability for next week? (most of next week is open in the morning and afternoon). Should you require alternate transportation during the upgrade, we will have either a Tesla Loaner or Premium Hertz/Enterprise rental available.

I have an 01/17 built 60D vin 176xxx. The part number on the battery is 1101082-00-A so some are clearly different. There might be something to the part number theory after all. I have yet to check if mine is upgrade-able as they seem to put all 60Ds in the NO category by default unless they are upgraded first. That being said if anyone has the same battery part number and is eligible for uncorking i'd love to know. Thanks!
they should be able to tell you if you ask them if you upgrade from 60>75 now today if its eligible?I mean unlocking the battery is all the upgrade is from 60>75 : a software unlock so they should be able to say yes or no if you upgrade if you are eligible right? Its not like your vin# will change.

I too have the same part number, 1101082-00-A, software locked 60D. Declined uncorking because it's still a 60D. 195XXX. April 2017 build.

What we need is for those went through the process of 60D to 75D to uncorking, please provide us your battery part number so we can deduce if this variation of the battery pack is uncorkable.

Similarly, those with 60D to 75D or original 75D and declined uncorking, what's your battery part number?
WINNIE.....shouldnt the SC be able to tell you on the spot if you update to a 75 if you are eligible? I mean its only a software battery unlock and it wont change the vin# or any part numbers??? seems they should be able to tell you if you have a 60d that you need to update to the 75d and then you will be eligible OR NOT....

they should be able to tell you if you ask them if you upgrade from 60>75 now today if its eligible?I mean unlocking the battery is all the upgrade is from 60>75 : a software unlock so they should be able to say yes or no if you upgrade if you are eligible right? Its not like your vin# will change.

I completely agree, in giving it more thought they'd probably make more money on 60D upgrades which would help cover all these SC visits if they would just tell 60D owners who are eligible and if they want it, to upgrade now to get in the queue. As many have said on here, it is early and time will tell... For those of us that are not eligible, I'd happily pay for the parts & labor for an upgraded fuse on top of the OTA upgrade if it meant I could have a 12 sec car :)

Reactions: Gur814