Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended Acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I was preparing to make a right turn. As I approached I took my foot off the brake as usual to slow down before I took the turn. The car seemed accelerated briefly before I stepped on the brake pedal. I did not have any driver assist features on.

The roads were wet so the only thing I can think of is maybe the car didn't accelerate, but the regen braking feature did not activate or something. It's hard to remember an event that was half a second, but If I had to say I think it did accelerate.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

No.

I have driven for 4 years and almost 85,000 on dry and wet roads and never experience acceleration when I take off my foot from the pedal.

When my state of charge is 100%, I can feel that the regen brake does not kick in to slow down the car and I could be unprepared for the unexpected speed but actually even without regen, the speed is slower without a foot on the accelerator.

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley888
This morning I was preparing to make a right turn. As I approached I took my foot off the brake as usual to slow down before I took the turn. The car seemed accelerated briefly before I stepped on the brake pedal. I did not have any driver assist features on.

The roads were wet so the only thing I can think of is maybe the car didn't accelerate, but the regen braking feature did not activate or something. It's hard to remember an event that was half a second, but If I had to say I think it did accelerate.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Yes, I have experienced the car seeming to accelerate when I took my foot off the accelerator while approaching an intersection, but it was my wife's Lexus and my perception of acceleration was really the lack of regen, to which I have become very accustomed.

It has been pretty cold in the past few days (cold by SoCal standards I mean) and if you were just starting out, regen may have been limited by low temperature. If you use the energy-use display on the instrument display panel, look for dashed lines on the regen indication arc, which show regen limitations. Recently when outside temp was 46ºF regen was initially limited to less than 20kW. Acceleration was also limited until the battery could warm up.

• Helpful
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Yes, I have experienced the car seeming to accelerate when I took my foot off the accelerator while approaching an intersection, but it was my wife's Lexus and my perception of acceleration was really the lack of regen, to which I have become very accustomed.

This. My Volt used to limit regeneration in poor traction conditions and it always felt like the car jetted forward when it happened.

It has been pretty cold in the past few days (cold by SoCal standards I mean) and if you were just starting out, regen may have been limited by low temperature. If you use the energy-use display on the instrument display panel, look for dashed lines on the regen indication arc, which show regen limitations.

It wasn't that cold this morning. I don't recall seeing the dashes turn on, and every other time I took my foot off the accelerator the car slowed down. Maybe I will contact Tesla but I don't think anything will come of it anyway.

Yes, this morning; first time ever...

I enjoy driving with the TACC engaged. Some of the pleasure comes from judging the exact point to slow using regen only. All was well in the decel phase for about 2 secs, slowing as expected, when a surge of acceleration was experienced. Even my wife commented on it. I did not hit the accelerator as I was hovering over the brake. Interesting to learn of other such experiences today.

Temperature not a factor; sweltering here today...

Happened to me today. Went to slow down into a turn, flicked the blinker to a right turn signal but maybe I accidentally put it in cruise control? I had to hit the brake quickly as the car was not slowing down.

I have done this too, but I have a classic with the cruise stalk above the blinker stalk. I haven't ever owned a car with that particular configuration, so it's causing me some muscle memory issues. I have even put the car in neutral accidentally once when I tried to turn on the wipers with the stalk on the right side :rolleyes: Luckily the car makes loud beeps when you do that.

Here we go again ... Tesla is being sued by a S.Korean celebrity claiming his Model X accelerated on its own into his garage, logs show user mistake

In the suit, Ji Chang Son claims that when pulling into his driveway in September, his Model X accelerated on its own into his garage. He wrote in the suite (via Reuters)

“The vehicle spontaneously began to accelerate at full power, jerking forward and crashing through the interior wall of the garage, destroying several wooden support beams in the wall and a steel sewer pipe, among other things, and coming to rest in Plaintiffs’ living room,” We reached out to Tesla for a comment. The company sent us the following statement based on the logs from the vehicle:

“We take the safety of our customers very seriously and conducted a thorough investigation following Mr. Son’s claims. The evidence, including data from the car, conclusively shows that the crash was the result of Mr. Son pressing the accelerator pedal all the way to 100%.” The accident happened in September and Son informed Tesla before he filed the suit, but the company is painting a picture of a hostile situation between the two parties before the suit:
“Before filing his class action lawsuit against Tesla, Mr. Son had threatened to use his celebrity status in Korea to hurt Tesla unless we agreed to make a financial payment and acknowledge that the vehicle accelerated on its own. However, the evidence clearly shows the vehicle was not at fault. Our policy is to stand by the evidence and not to give in to ultimatums.”

I had an un-intended acceleration event twice. The first time I didn't know why. The second time I realized I had engaged cruise control and it was set to a higher speed. It only happens for a split second as you automatically hit the brake and cruise is disengaged. I'm more careful now!

Yeah I've had the cruise control situation happen a bunch of times. But I didn't have it enabled.

Here we go again ...

I've seen all those stories but that's not what I claimed.

Here we go again ... Tesla is being sued by a S.Korean celebrity claiming his Model X accelerated on its own into his garage, logs show user mistake

In the suit, Ji Chang Son claims that when pulling into his driveway in September, his Model X accelerated on its own into his garage. He wrote in the suite (via Reuters)

“The vehicle spontaneously began to accelerate at full power, jerking forward and crashing through the interior wall of the garage, destroying several wooden support beams in the wall and a steel sewer pipe, among other things, and coming to rest in Plaintiffs’ living room,” We reached out to Tesla for a comment. The company sent us the following statement based on the logs from the vehicle:

“We take the safety of our customers very seriously and conducted a thorough investigation following Mr. Son’s claims. The evidence, including data from the car, conclusively shows that the crash was the result of Mr. Son pressing the accelerator pedal all the way to 100%.” The accident happened in September and Son informed Tesla before he filed the suit, but the company is painting a picture of a hostile situation between the two parties before the suit:
“Before filing his class action lawsuit against Tesla, Mr. Son had threatened to use his celebrity status in Korea to hurt Tesla unless we agreed to make a financial payment and acknowledge that the vehicle accelerated on its own. However, the evidence clearly shows the vehicle was not at fault. Our policy is to stand by the evidence and not to give in to ultimatums.”
I wonder if he just became confused. It can happen with a car that does not appear to be "on". With the "hold" I have at times forgot I was in drive. W/O an issue thankfully. I let a friend drive the other day and he parked in a lot with a brick wall in front. I was quick to remind him how to put the S in park. :) Now of course this sort of situation has happened for years with accidental acceleration, almost always driver error. IF Tesla is in the right , I like to see a company fight lawsuits even if it is easier to settle at times.

Just like the Toyota issue a few years back, i'm sure this will come down to driver error. The data already bears this out. unfortunately, in 2016, data apparently means very little in terms of public opinion.

keep in mind there is lots of incentive, conscious and unconscious, for a driver to insist an accident was the car's fault and not theirs. people are fundamentally reluctant to admit fault, even to themselves. even after proving through logs that the driver accidentally pressed the accelerator, drivers will go to their grave believing the car somehow pushed the pedal by itself.

the frustrating part is, as soon as one driver claiming this gets some press, other drivers inevitably start claiming the same thing any time they get into an accident, and suddenly it's a controversy. to this day there are lots of people who don't know that the Toyota thing was completely 100% bogus.

It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare - Feature

Reactions: ColBatGuano
Happened to me today. Went to slow down into a turn, flicked the blinker to a right turn signal but maybe I accidentally put it in cruise control? I had to hit the brake quickly as the car was not slowing down.
I have done this before at least twice. Grabbed the wrong stock. Its a bit unnerving for a split second until you realize what you have done. I could see this being an issue if you were delayed in your response when sick, distracted or otherwise without your normal reflexes.:eek:

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

There is an effort under way to convert this to a class action lawsuit. However, in the past, there have been such claims made against Toyota, Audi, and others; and despite vast amounts of work on trying to re-create the situation, the conclusion has always been that the driver hit the accelerator when they meant to hit the gas. (Toyota even made a series of accelerator linkage recall campaigns based on the possibility of a linkage problem, so maybe it is possible... but not really likely...) This is easy to do if you are distracted or otherwise being a bit careless.

There is an effort under way to convert this to a class action lawsuit. However, in the past, there have been such claims made against Toyota, Audi, and others; and despite vast amounts of work on trying to re-create the situation, the conclusion has always been that the driver hit the accelerator when they meant to hit the gas. (Toyota even made a series of accelerator linkage recall campaigns based on the possibility of a linkage problem, so maybe it is possible... but not really likely...) This is easy to do if you are distracted or otherwise being a bit careless.

Sounds like extortion to me ... :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV