Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a former Model S owner (purchased 2016). I previously had unlimited supercharging on my account. I had to purchase a bigger vehicle because we had a third child and sold my model S. If I purchase another Tesla (say a Model 3 or Y) do I still get unlimited supercharging because I am a former customer or did I lose this perk when I sold the vehicle and had no vehicles left on my account?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am a former Model S owner (purchased 2016). I previously had unlimited supercharging on my account. I had to purchase a bigger vehicle because we had a third child and sold my model S. If I purchase another Tesla (say a Model 3 or Y) do I still get unlimited supercharging because I am a former customer or did I lose this perk when I sold the vehicle and had no vehicles left on my account?

My presumption is the answer is "No," but I do not think I have seen this specific sequence addressed before. But I see no mechanism by which you would be entitled to it. Your supercharging perk went with your Model S to the next owner.

I believe supercharger status follows the car, not the owner.

Dan

well that is an easy one...unfortunately no. When the Model 3 came out it was briefly available with the performance version. Then they essentially bought it back for 5K (offered to give back 5k to performance 3 buyers after abruptly lowering the price but owners had to give up the free SC). When we complained that we only paid 2k with our model S's, he stated it would never be offered again and that he believed it was worth 5K.

However...with Tesla ...who the heck knows? I have gotten dizzy with all of the recent changes.I thought it was an inner ear problem but Meclazine did not help

Is it ordered or delivered by that date?
It had to be ordered by that date. Originally, it was scheduled to end 12/31/2016 but they extended it two weeks. They then tried to deliver most of those cars by the end of the Q1 2017 but I've seen cars delivered as late as September 2017 which still have free transferable Supercharging since they were ordered before the deadline.

Last edited:
  • Informative
well that is an easy one...unfortunately no. When the Model 3 came out it was briefly available with the performance version. Then they essentially bought it back for 5K (offered to give back 5k to performance 3 buyers after abruptly lowering the price but owners had to give up the free SC). When we complained that we only paid 2k with our model S's, he stated it would never be offered again and that he believed it was worth 5K.

However...with Tesla ...who the heck knows? I have gotten dizzy with all of the recent changes.I thought it was an inner ear problem but Meclazine did not help
oh and SC older model S and X does not transfer with the owner...Just the car. With model 3's that kept it instead of the 5K rebate...it does not even transfer with the car

It had to be ordered by that date. Originally, it was scheduled to end 12/31/2016 but they extended it two weeks. They then tried to deliver most of those cars by the end of the Q1 2017 but I've seen cars delivered as late as September 2017 which still have free transferable Supercharging since they were ordered before the deadline.
Thanks. I’m on the lookout for a X 100D that has a AP2 and free unlimited supercharging. Apparently that combination was only produced for a few months

You must really use supercharging a lot. Or else you live near a supercharger and don't want to spend money on putting in an outlet. I use supercharging maybe twice a year, and it's just not worth it trying to get "free" supercharging. It's only a few dollars a trip. If someone can afford a hundred thousand dollar car, one wonders why they are sweating paying for charging.

If you charge at home in your garage, which is where 99% of charging happens, paying for charging on a trip is peanuts.

• Love
You must really use supercharging a lot. Or else you live near a supercharger and don't want to spend money on putting in an outlet. I use supercharging maybe twice a year, and it's just not worth it trying to get "free" supercharging. It's only a few dollars a trip. If someone can afford a hundred thousand dollar car, one wonders why they are sweating paying for charging.

If you charge at home in your garage, which is where 99% of charging happens, paying for charging on a trip is peanuts.

Can’t speak for him but my only good option is supercharging. The building I live in is working on installing outlets in the garage but who knows when it will finally happen

Can’t speak for him but my only good option is supercharging. The building I live in is working on installing outlets in the garage but who knows when it will finally happen

why in the world would you buy a car in which your only option to refuel it takes over 60 minutes at a remote charger?? don't you value your time?

Last edited:
Thanks. I’m on the lookout for a X 100D that has a AP2 and free unlimited supercharging. Apparently that combination was only produced for a few months
To my knowledge, there are no such vehicles. There are P100D's, because these were in production before the transferable unlimited free Supercharging was discontinued. No MX100D though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
As @BerTX mentioned, there's no non-performance 100 kWh cars with transferable Supercharging. We know this personally because we ordered both an S 90D and an S 100D around the same time in 2016. Only the 2016 came with transferable Supercharging.

You could either get an X 90D or wait for the prices on the Performance X 100D to drop, just be sure it is from 2016 or was ordered before 1/15/17.