Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock Charge Port / Cable On Type 2 3rd Party Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
charge_port_door_open suggests it also unlocks the charge port. It may well return an error if the door is already open but that is easy to ignore or treat as an exception.

Good spot, I'd missed that. The unofficial description suggests that charge_port_door_open may possibly unlatch the connector:

Opens vehicle charge port. Also unlocks the charge port if it is locked

Doesn't look as if anything untoward should happen, it should just return "true", possibly with something in the reason response that may relate to the port already being open.
The question is whether "unlock the charge port" means "unlatch the connector". Not sure that it does, but it would be nice to know.

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.
charge_port_door_open suggests it also unlocks the charge port. It may well return an error if the door is already open but that is easy to ignore or treat as an exception.
I just tested this on my car and it unlocked the charge port so that I could remove the connector. I should add that I tried it twice while the car was asleep and it didn't work but after opening the app to wake the car the command did unlock the charge port

I just tested this on my car and it unlocked the charge port so that I could remove the connector. I should add that I tried it twice while the car was asleep and it didn't work but after opening the app to wake the car the command did unlock the charge port

Thanks, that's worth noting in the unofficial Tesla API notes. Might ping the chap that's put those together to see if he could add a note to that effect in his write up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Roy W. and T.F.S.
no problem, here are a few more (if you are concerned about the “untrusted” bit, if you turn on untrusted shortcuts, you still have the ability to view each step and see exactly what it does before adding the shortcut to your device)

Climate Settings Shortcut

Charge State Settings Shortcut

Valet Mode Shortcut

Open Charge Port Shortcut

Flash the Lights Shortcut

Honk the Horn Shortcut

Lock the Doors Shortcut

Unlock the Doors Shortcut

Remote Start (Keyless Driving) Shortcut

Actuate Trunk (Open & Close) Shortcut

Open the Frunk Shortcut

Vehicle Location Shortcut

I thought about this route but didn’t like:

1. Every time you use these you create a new access token. Tokens are valid for 45 days. Potentially lots of tokens out there rather than just 1 or 2 makes your account less secure. Not a massive risk but doesn’t improve your odds of a bad actor getting access.

2. Password saved as plain text on my phone.

The shortcuts could be modified to clean up and release the token after using it but it’s not there. I decided to use AWS to fetch and renews my token once a month instead.

My approach is to not use my email/password at all, but to code the device (an ESP8266 module) with the token plus the refresh code. Every month or so the device will just use the refresh code to get both a new token and new refresh code.

It's easy enough to get the initial token and refresh code needed, just have to make sure the code is all written and tested, and the device up and running, before the token expires and within the bit of leeway allowed to make sure the token is regenerated in time.

This mean that my account access details are never physically on the device, so makes it a bit more secure. I'm not sure I like the idea of passing my full account login info to any untrusted 3rd party much, or having it stored as plain text in a bit of code.

• Disagree
Reactions: Roy W. and T.F.S.
Is one of the reasons I went for the Tesla wall connector. Mind you, it doesn't seem 100% reliable and I sometimes have to press the button a few times to unlock the port. This is usually when I go to work and car has stopped charging hours ago so car likely fully asleep?

Is one of the reasons I went for the Tesla wall connector. Mind you, it doesn't seem 100% reliable and I sometimes have to press the button a few times to unlock the port. This is usually when I go to work and car has stopped charging hours ago so car likely fully asleep?
When this happens, lightly press the rear passenger door handle - enough to wake the car, but not open it. A trick I heard about that seems to work when button does not unlock. Will try multiple button presses next time although tbh, routine we have is put bags in car before sorting charge cable.

The snag is that for either of those retrofit button kits to work (as far as stopping a charge and unlatching the connector is concerned), they need to physically break a connection inside the connector, the proximity pilot. No remote can do this at the moment, all it can do is open the charge port door. The Tesla key fob will open the charge port door, as well as work as a keyless entry device.

It is possible to make a remote that could do both functions, as long as it was within range of a wifi network that it had the credentials to connect to (a 'phone tethered AP should be OK). AFAIK, no one has done this, but technically it's not too difficult to make something like an Amazon Dash Button that has the functionality. Very much in the land of DIY, though, unless someone decides to make something like this commercially available.

This is one of the reasons I bought the new v2 fob with passive entry.
A long press on the back of the fob will open the charge port door if it’s not charging, and unlock the cable if it is.
I kept getting annoyed with having to use the app every morning.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Good spot, I'd missed that. The unofficial description suggests that charge_port_door_open may possibly unlatch the connector:

Doesn't look as if anything untoward should happen, it should just return "true", possibly with something in the reason response that may relate to the port already being open.
The question is whether "unlock the charge port" means "unlatch the connector". Not sure that it does, but it would be nice to know.

I just tried this and it works fine for UNLOCKING the charger port, ie I can then remove my cable.

But when I want to plug my charger cable in, it opens the port ok but the connector itself is locked so I can't plug it in. It only allows me to plug the cable in if the car is unlocked (it will still open the port regardless of car lock status).

Not a biggie but something to bear in mind, especially if people are going to try to ram the connector in!

I just tried this and it works fine for UNLOCKING the charger port, ie I can then remove my cable.

But when I want to plug my charger cable in, it opens the port ok but the connector itself is locked so I can't plug it in. It only allows me to plug the cable in if the car is unlocked (it will still open the port regardless of car lock status).

Not a biggie but something to bear in mind, especially if people are going to try to ram the connector in!

I’ve never had this issue. The API has to wake up the car to open the charger door. Once open I’ve never had a problem plugging in, car locked or otherwise.

My plan for my anderson, once its installed, was an NFC triggered tasker job on the phone. A usable hardware button in the same place would be good, but not sure how to handle security of that (given unlocking the cable will result in an unlocked car). NFC may be the safer option.