Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock delay with iPhone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed a delay in the M3 unlocking with the iPhone in the last few weeks? On a few occasions recently I have gone to open the car with the phone in my pocket and the car doesn't unlock for a good 10 seconds or refused completely meaning I had to find the keycard. You look like a idiot holding the door handle waiting for the car to open!

Location settings are set to 'Always' on the phone and Bluetooth is on, no settings have been changed.

Same problem here. Worked well for monthes. No settings changed.

Now, for some weeks, my car now only opens:
  • if I unlocked my phone
  • if I opened the TeslaApp on my phone and
  • if I have the focus on the TeslaApp on my phone
  • (+Bluetooth, Internet etc.)

I visited my SC just yesterday because of this issue.
The answer of SC was: "Everything fine with your car. It must be your phone that causes this issue." :eek:

(Huawei P8, Android 6.0, TeslaApp 3.10.3-390, M3 LRW)

Power cycle the phone. I had an issue were it would intermittently unlock and finally didn't even recognize the phone as a key. Power cylcing worked for me. That said, the phone method still isn't 100% for getting the car to open.

This actually happened to me last night with an android phone. Walked up to trunk and tried to manually open it, nothing, tried a few times and nothing. About 10-15 seconds went by and I heard the HV battery contactors connect and then the trunk opened manually.

Have never had an issue before in the 3 months I've had the car.

I can’t believe you started an iPhone vs Android debate for no reason and insulted iPhone users for what? I think you’re the 13 year old girl in this situation.
Using Stats for iOS allows my wife to use her Apple Watch to unlock her M3 via lift for Siri. No need to grab her phone, just a simple voice command while walking to her car. She’s not 13 but sometimes I wish she was, (so I could watch her grow up and propose to her more romantically than I did originally, get your minds outta the gutter!)

Oh and Androids steal your soul and identity

Using Stats for iOS allows my wife to use her Apple Watch to unlock her M3 via lift for Siri. No need to grab her phone, just a simple voice command while walking to her car. She’s not 13 but sometimes I wish she was, (so I could watch her grow up and propose to her more romantically than I did originally, get your minds outta the gutter!)

Oh and Androids steal your soul and identity

Except that app works half the time at best and the delay is too long when it does work.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Yes noticeably worse in the last couple of weeks. iPhone 8 here on 13.3.1 and car on 2020.4.1.
I’ve had the car for over a year I’m pretty familiar with how to and we’re to position my phone for best results and it’s definitely behaving differently.

Sounds a lot like using a 13 year old girls phone is the issue. Upgrade to an Android ;) I hear the ne S20 is coming out in a week :p

Funny thing is the 13 year old girl phones are the ones that are typically most reliable.

Coming from someone that deploys Bluetooth/GPS apps on both platforms you haven't a clue. Samsung is absolutely the WORST.
If I was silly enough to run Android as my primary phone it would be a Pixel.

@WillC

Beyond location "Always" you MUST also have "Background App Refresh" enabled.