Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock from phone app, doesn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty good about remembering my car key so I've never had need to use remote unlock in earnest. But today I was shoveling snow, wanted to move the car, didn't feel like going to get my key, did have my phone, so tried it.

Didn't work.

In fact, this has happened to me before in similar circumstances, didn't work then either, in fact I don't think it's ever worked. The failure mode is the app tells me the car is unlocked, but the handles stay retracted and are unresponsive to being pressed to get them to extend. The car just does nothing. I also noticed that when I tried "unlock charge port" it momentarily unlocked but the car instantly recaptured it, so brief click and flash of white, then back to green. Couldn't remove the handle.

In other ways the app works fine for me. I can (and did) precondition, flash lights, honk horn, etc.

Does this sound familiar and is there a fix? I'll also email Tesla service about it.

FWIW the car's currently running 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d, although as mentioned I've seen the problem in the past with other firmware versions. iPhone app is 3.2.3 (34599d8f1).

Unlock charge port is always flaky for me, it kind of unlocks for a seconds and then removes it, have to watch and catch it right there.

Unlocking the car from the app had always worked for me for every SW update on my s100d for he past 6 months since I had it. It unlocks, turns on handle light, parking ought and I think interior light, extends handle. When I go the they gym at night, I don't even bring my keys, jus my phone.

When your app says the car is unlocked, does the parking and interior light turn on? Can u unlock it from the fob? How about other apps like Tesla Fi or even Amazon Echo?

Try resetting MCU, if you can't figure it out, call your local SC to see if they can help.

this thread made me test it out:
50.2 firmware & current Android App.
left key out of RF range:
unlocked car - ok
released charging connector (not using the button on handle, only app) = works fine.
(plugged back in) - and locked car.
released charging connector again (with car locked)- works just fine.

can it be related to you having the US-connector ? - I am using type2 (Mennekes) like the rest of the world, @Snowstorm - what are you using in Canada ?

unlocked car - ok
released charging connector (not using the button on handle, only app) = works fine.

can it be related to you having the US-connector ? - I am using type2 (Mennekes) like the rest of the world, @Snowstorm - what are you using in Canada ?
Out of curiosity, would you try the charge port without unlocking the car first?

unlocked car - ok

Canada plugs are same as US plugs.

It's an issue Tesla will have to fix on their side. Give them a call and it should be resolved "within 5 to 10 business days."
Thanks, I probably will resort to that. I tried emailing servicehelpna but as far as I can tell it went to /dev/null.

That’s standard for the charge port. Hold the button on the charge connector, then unlock the charge port, then remove the connector.
That worked, thanks, I should have thought of that.

can it be related to you having the US-connector ? - I am using type2 (Mennekes)
Does the type2 lock as the US connector does? If so, I'd guess that's not it. I was perplexed by a similar issue a year or two ago, where I was failing to remove the handle with unlocked car + push handle button, until I figured out I had to keep the handle button depressed, not just tap it. The difference was that when the car was drawing no current, it didn't recapture the handle right away, so a tap was sufficient, but when drawing current (as with charging, preconditioning, etc) then it did recapture it immediately so I had to keep the button down. Perhaps something similar in play with your test?

If all other functions of the app works (including locking the car) and that only unlocking doesn't work... that means your car has a encryption key mismatch due to various reasons...

I had the same problem after getting the main screen replaced... after contacting Tesla... it was fixed over the phone (even tho they told me it may take up to a few days for the update to reach the car)

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
Out of curiosity, would you try the charge port without unlocking the car first?

opening charge port before unlocking, (and no car key near) works the same way as a locked car.
Furthermore:
if car is locked, and no key, it will still open charge port when button on the charging handle is used.
and, or course, it will not release the charging handle/connector if locked, but will temporarily change color.

Does it make a difference if your Passive Entry option is enabled or disabled?
When this setting is disabled, it means an explicit fob button press is required, not just a handle touch, to open the car. Perhaps it also has side effect of App can't be used to open doors, just fob only... dunno, grasping at straws on this one..

Another idea.. are you using the new entry/exit profile? Could be buggy. I started using this feature for a day, and one time I walked up to the car and handle touch did nothing, and fob press did nothing to open doors. It was like the car was having a nap.. I had to open hatch, using touch, which had the side effect of presenting handles... so got in. Just weird. Sometimes need to be creative problem solver to use these cars, I guess.

Last edited:
Does it make a difference if your Passive Entry option is enabled or disabled?
When this setting is disabled, it means an explicit fob button press is required, not just a handle touch, to open the car. Perhaps it also has side effect of App can't be used to open doors, just fob only... dunno, grasping at straws on this one..
Good one, but it's enabled for me, always has been.

Another idea.. are you using the new entry/exit profile? Could be buggy. I started using this feature for a day, and one time I walked up to the car and handle touch did nothing, and fob press did nothing to open doors. It was like the car was having a nap.. I had to open hatch, using touch, which had the side effect of presenting handles... so got in. Just weird. Sometimes need to be creative problem solver to use these cars, I guess.
I'm not using the new profile.

Still need to get my round tuit out to call Tesla on the phone since they seem to have gone from bad to worse on reading their email.

In the end, they decided they couldn't fix it OTA and sent a Ranger over. About five minutes with a laptop and he'd reset some authentication setting and now unlock works.

Why they couldn't do it OTA, I don't know. (Although I can see some logic to deliberately restricting certain security related operations from being done remotely.)

Reactions: Exiom