Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unofficial Tesla Model S Chrome Extension New and Improved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a weird problem with the chrome app.

For some reason my car teleported to western China on both the phone and chrome app. I rebooted the main screen in the car, and after that the car is back in Texas in both the phone app as well as visibletesla. But in the chrome app the car is still in China.

TeslaLocation.png

Here's a screenshot. The window does indeed look to be 600 hardware pixels high, and doesn't change size when I adjust the window scaling, so maybe there's nothing you can do. Not a big deal - I was just responding to post about scaling.

The truncation of the version number is presumably a bug however (albeit trivial!).

Yea that scrollbar shouldn't be there. Can you let me know the version number of Chromium you're on, the distro, and what window manager you're using. I will try and replicate it as close as possible to figure out the problem. I have noticed on more recent builds of chrome the font I am using isn't rendering correctly (I think I am embedding it wrong). It might have something to do with that.

Having a weird problem with the chrome app.

For some reason my car teleported to western China on both the phone and chrome app. I rebooted the main screen in the car, and after that the car is back in Texas in both the phone app as well as visibletesla. But in the chrome app the car is still in China.

View attachment 58337

That's really strange zwede. First is this the extension or the chrome app? I think it's the extension because the map is interactive (the extension you open in the bar up top, the app you open from the app drawer). If so, could you test three things for me.

1. When the extension has loaded and you open the location page, if it is wrong, can you right click on the location icon on the bottom, and click inspect element. This will open up the developer tools for chrome (with the side effect of keeping the extension open as long as you don't change tabs). Wait a little over five minutes (you don't need to actively watch it) and then let me know if the map moves to the location of your car.

2. Open up your phone app, wait for it to load, go to the location page on it, then open the extension on the computer. Is it in the right location now?

3. If the map shows China, but the red arrow for your car isn't there, can you try zooming out on the map and seeing where the arrow is? I assume it will be in TX, but the map isn't centering correctly.

Don't feel obligated to do either of these, but it would help me diagnose the issue. The strange thing is that the app shows the arrow where the car is and should center on it, but your map of china has no car shown.

Sorry about the problem, it seems like it is starting on Tesla's end, but if it is working now everywhere else it should work on my extension too. If none of that helps, I might need to ask you to send me a PM with some extra info (would have gps coords, so wouldn't want you posting here)

Yea that scrollbar shouldn't be there. Can you let me know the version number of Chromium you're on, the distro, and what window manager you're using. I will try and replicate it as close as possible to figure out the problem. I have noticed on more recent builds of chrome the font I am using isn't rendering correctly (I think I am embedding it wrong). It might have something to do with that.

My Chromium is Version 35.0.1916.153 (274914)
OS is FreeBSD
Window manager is twm (yes, I'm a dinosaur).

This really isn't a big deal, so I'm happy to do anything needed to help you debug, but equally if you say this is a whacky platform that isn't worth putting your effort into, that would be perfectly reasonable.

YThat's really strange zwede. First is this the extension or the chrome app?

Yes, this is the extension.

1. When the extension has loaded and you open the location page, if it is wrong, can you right click on the location icon on the bottom, and click inspect element. This will open up the developer tools for chrome (with the side effect of keeping the extension open as long as you don't change tabs). Wait a little over five minutes (you don't need to actively watch it) and then let me know if the map moves to the location of your car.

Map has not changed after 6 minutes. Still in China.

2. Open up your phone app, wait for it to load, go to the location page on it, then open the extension on the computer. Is it in the right location now?

Nope, still China (phone app showed correct location).

3. If the map shows China, but the red arrow for your car isn't there, can you try zooming out on the map and seeing where the arrow is? I assume it will be in TX, but the map isn't centering correctly.

There's no red arrow in Texas either. I have not been able to find the red arrow anywhere on the map. I zoomed out until the entire world was visible, and there was no red arrow.

Don't feel obligated to do either of these, but it would help me diagnose the issue.

No problem. Whatever you need. I'm a SW dev too, I know how important it is to have sane test input. :)

Same issue here with a high resolution screen (screen resolution 3840 x 2160). Windows 8.1 Chrome version 36.0.1985.143 m

Screenshot 2014-09-04 20.57.13.jpg

EDIT: While I was posting this Chrome Updated to Version
Version 37.0.2062.103 m and that seems to have cured the issue!

Screenshot 2014-09-04 21.04.14.jpg

I am not accusing anyone of anything so please don't misunderstand what I am about to write. My concern is that this is an app, written by someone I don't know that requires me to type in my Tesla log in information which gives access to my car. Is no one else concerned by this?

Or maybe I don't understand how the Google App store works. Does Google verify that Apps sold there can't collect personal information?

Again, to Trevor, this is in no way meant to insult you.

Should I be able to login to the extension (just to look around) before access to my car is enabled?

I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread someone mentioned having installed the extension before he or she had the car, and I did not see a follow-up that said anything about having done so accomplished nothing. I had installed the Tesla app a while ago, and while it let me login to My Tesla, it immediately pointed out that I had no vehicle that it could connect to. When I try to log in to my Tesla through the Chrome Extension, on the other hand, I just get an error message that "Login Failed." Is that what I should be seeing, since my car is not built yet? Or should I be able to successfully log in and then just not be able to actually do anything, but still be able to see what options will be available once my car is connected?

Thanks.

Hey, I'm sorry your first experience with the extension wasn't a great one. That screen is essentially a loading screen. It used to show the Tesla logo until I got worried about potential copyright/trademark issues, so I removed it and forgot to put something there in the new release. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

I can't see Tesla complaining over the use of their logo since it's used all over the place by others, including this forum. If they don't like it, the worst they could do is sue you, but they wouldn't. Not only would it look bad for them to sue a customer for helping other customers, it would also be impossible for them to show damages. Nobody could use the app without buying a car from them, and they aren't in competition selling apps. It might be hard to convince anybody that anybody bought their car in order to use their app, even though it's within the realm of possibility. But it would be even more absurd for them to say that somebody didn't buy their car because you made the app.

The app isn't hurting them. It's helping them. It's putting less pressure on them to come up with something because owners are less likely to bother them about it. And hopefully it's shaming them into getting their act together. As much as you love doing this, I suspect you wouldn't mind at all if Tesla came along with something that did all this and far more so you didn't have to. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

I can't see Tesla complaining over the use of their logo since it's used all over the place by others, including this forum. If they don't like it, the worst they could do is sue you, but they wouldn't. Not only would it look bad for them to sue a customer for helping other customers, it would also be impossible for them to show damages. Nobody could use the app without buying a car from them, and they aren't in competition selling apps. It might be hard to convince anybody that anybody bought their car in order to use their app, even though it's within the realm of possibility. But it would be even more absurd for them to say that somebody didn't buy their car because you made the app.

The app isn't hurting them. It's helping them. It's putting less pressure on them to come up with something because owners are less likely to bother them about it. And hopefully it's shaming them into getting their act together. As much as you love doing this, I suspect you wouldn't mind at all if Tesla came along with something that did all this and far more so you didn't have to. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Careful, please. It is a trademarked logo and you need permission to use it. Just because someone might not sue you is no reason to do it anyway. (Props to Trevor for doing the right thing.) You can't possibly know where licensing agreements are in place with Tesla and where not - so I wouldn't assume when I see the logo that the person using it isn't in full legal compliance, unless I knew that for a fact.

Isn't this basically dead (or dying) at least for now, anyway, due to the server change or whatever it is that Tesla is doing / has done to shut down access to third-party apps like this one and Visible Tesla? I came to the party too late, it would seem, as I am unable to log in with this extension or with Visible Tesla. My understanding is that unless Tesla decides to open things up, these third-party apps won't have access. Am I misinformed?

Isn't this basically dead (or dying) at least for now, anyway, due to the server change or whatever it is that Tesla is doing / has done to shut down access to third-party apps like this one and Visible Tesla? I came to the party too late, it would seem, as I am unable to log in with this extension or with Visible Tesla. My understanding is that unless Tesla decides to open things up, these third-party apps won't have access. Am I misinformed?

Not sure....I still have access, but I've been using the app since Trevor released it, maybe it's different if you've not previously signed in.

Not sure....I still have access, but I've been using the app since Trevor released it, maybe it's different if you've not previously signed in.

I think it may be more a question of which server your account is set up on. New accounts (for new owners) are probably set up on the new, more locked down servers. Old accounts may be being moved over or something, so some old accounts may still be fine. I think it may be something like that, but I'm not certain. Thanks for letting me know that it's still working for you.

I think it may be more a question of which server your account is set up on. New accounts (for new owners) are probably set up on the new, more locked down servers. Old accounts may be being moved over or something, so some old accounts may still be fine. I think it may be something like that, but I'm not certain. Thanks for letting me know that it's still working for you.

The problem is that most of the existing tools are written by owner/developers with accounts that still work. This makes it hard to debug or find out how to make it work for the people on the new servers.

The problem is that most of the existing tools are written by owner/developers with accounts that still work. This makes it hard to debug or find out how to make it work for the people on the new servers.
People in the VT thread seem to be indicating that it's the actual login process that's denying access. Once you've logged in and gotten your token (cookie/whatever they use for authentication), you're good until it expires. Those with older vehicles that signed out and have attempted to sign back in have found themselves locked out.

People in the VT thread seem to be indicating that it's the actual login process that's denying access. Once you've logged in and gotten your token (cookie/whatever they use for authentication), you're good until it expires. Those with older vehicles that signed out and have attempted to sign back in have found themselves locked out.
Yes. However I can still login and get new tokens and cookies using my own apps so the block on new logins from third party apps seems to be selective and not universal.