TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unplug charging cable while car in sleepmode

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by paulvinh, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ibdb

ibdb Any excuse for a road trip

A Tesla Ranger was just at my house to fix an issue with a door handle on my S. I asked him about this sleep/wake behavior and he suggested waiting through the current firmware update to see how the car behaves. He said he'd discuss the issue with the Firmware Techs, as he'd heard the issue from a few other Model 3 owners, but thought that it would be worth waiting before trying to go through the trouble of trying to phone into support.

2. golfpilot

golfpilot Member

I have been having this issue... made a video this morning, found this thread.

3. DR61

DR61 Member

I leave our car unlocked in our garage (special profile). After charging, pressing the J1772 switch (even for several seconds) does not wake the car and does not unlock the adapter. I have to press the left rear door handle to get the car awake and allow the J1772+adapter to be removed. Same behavior if the car is locked.

• Informative x 1
  4. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

After updating to iOS 12 on Iphone 7 plus my car “woke” up a little faster this morning when opening the app. First time I didnt have to open the door to unplug the charging cable. But then again I still had to open the app and wait for the “Wake”.

Will continue testing ...

5. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

I've always had to hit the unlock on the car, either in the app or open a door to be able to get the charging dongle out of the car.

6. ibdb

If this issue persists after the next firmware update you install on your 3, please be sure to check in here.

7. ibdb

Checking in with everyone again -- I've now had 2018.39.7 9736c9b on my P3D+ for 36 hours or so, and I haven't seen any change in behavior. If my car is asleep, pressing the button on the charger will not release the charge port, even if the car is unlocked.

Meanwhile, across the garage, my S85D on 2018.39.6 8377b4d hasn't gone to sleep since 10/10 -- not sure why, it's been on that particular firmware version since 10/6 and went to sleep several times between 10/6 and 10/10. Before then, however, it would open its charge port even while sleeping every time I pressed the button on the charger that was connected to the P3D+.

• Like x 1
  8. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Here we are some 7 months after walk-up unlock was removed (which, as I understand it, is what created this problem in the first place), and the official Tesla Model 3 Owners Manual is still falsely describing the car's ability to unlock/release the charge connector when an authenticated phone is present before pressing a door handle. WTF.

Two separate calls to customer support about this issue have resulted in:
    (1) confirmations that this is the as-intended behavior (at least since walk-up-unlock was removed),
    (2) confirmations that there are no known plans to fix/change it, and
    (3) only half-assed apologies that the manual is wrong.

Are there any lawyers out there who know if Tesla is potentially legally liable for explicitly advertising features in the manual that they know don't work? (I'm only very slightly kidding here.)

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Same here. Versions 36.2, 39.7.1 and 42.3. Unlock car either with phone or door handle, press button on charge cable, and remove charge cable.

10. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

Well I should say i haven’t had to do it in a while. Or many versions.

11. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

So you can walk up to charger cable while car is asleep, press button and it releases the charging cable?

12. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

Pretty much. Now I probably have the phone with me but I don’t have to wait. Like opening the door sometimes in the early morning

13. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Does your car go to sleep? I know mine does.

14. ibdb

No change in 42.8, either. If the car is asleep, pushing the button on the charger does not unlock the charge port.

15. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

I’m sure my car does go to sleep. I guess maybe my experience with it is different since I don’t charge overnight. During the day afternoons mostly when it charges at home I just go back out in the garage and press the handle button and pull out the handle. Nothing more necessary than that.

16. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Does the T on your chargeport stay lit? I am surprised pressing the button on the handle wakes your car up (if it was sleep). It should, but as far as I can tell that didn't appear to be the actual behavior for anyone else.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Is your car locked?

18. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

I’ll run some scenarios this weekend

19. DR61

DR61 Member

I charge at night with the car unlocked in the garage (set up a profile for keeping it unlocked). Nevertheless when we charge, and the car finishes the charge, the car goes to sleep, the charge light goes off, and the charge handle button does nothing. We must press a door handle enough to get the charge light on again to allow the button to unlock the charge handle.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  20. is2scooby

is2scooby Member

Have there been any updates for people suffering from this issue over the last few months? I'm on 2019.5.15 f5def7e and I still need to wake up the car before I can disconnect my charge handle.