Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplug charging cable while car in sleepmode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla Ranger was just at my house to fix an issue with a door handle on my S. I asked him about this sleep/wake behavior and he suggested waiting through the current firmware update to see how the car behaves. He said he'd discuss the issue with the Firmware Techs, as he'd heard the issue from a few other Model 3 owners, but thought that it would be worth waiting before trying to go through the trouble of trying to phone into support.

I leave our car unlocked in our garage (special profile). After charging, pressing the J1772 switch (even for several seconds) does not wake the car and does not unlock the adapter. I have to press the left rear door handle to get the car awake and allow the J1772+adapter to be removed. Same behavior if the car is locked.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
After updating to iOS 12 on Iphone 7 plus my car “woke” up a little faster this morning when opening the app. First time I didnt have to open the door to unplug the charging cable. But then again I still had to open the app and wait for the “Wake”.

Will continue testing ...

Checking in with everyone again -- I've now had 2018.39.7 9736c9b on my P3D+ for 36 hours or so, and I haven't seen any change in behavior. If my car is asleep, pressing the button on the charger will not release the charge port, even if the car is unlocked.

Meanwhile, across the garage, my S85D on 2018.39.6 8377b4d hasn't gone to sleep since 10/10 -- not sure why, it's been on that particular firmware version since 10/6 and went to sleep several times between 10/6 and 10/10. Before then, however, it would open its charge port even while sleeping every time I pressed the button on the charger that was connected to the P3D+.

Reactions: paulvinh
Here we are some 7 months after walk-up unlock was removed (which, as I understand it, is what created this problem in the first place), and the official Tesla Model 3 Owners Manual is still falsely describing the car's ability to unlock/release the charge connector when an authenticated phone is present before pressing a door handle. WTF.

Two separate calls to customer support about this issue have resulted in:
(1) confirmations that this is the as-intended behavior (at least since walk-up-unlock was removed),
(2) confirmations that there are no known plans to fix/change it, and
(3) only half-assed apologies that the manual is wrong.

Are there any lawyers out there who know if Tesla is potentially legally liable for explicitly advertising features in the manual that they know don't work? (I'm only very slightly kidding here.)

I’m sure my car does go to sleep. I guess maybe my experience with it is different since I don’t charge overnight. During the day afternoons mostly when it charges at home I just go back out in the garage and press the handle button and pull out the handle. Nothing more necessary than that.
Does the T on your chargeport stay lit? I am surprised pressing the button on the handle wakes your car up (if it was sleep). It should, but as far as I can tell that didn't appear to be the actual behavior for anyone else.

I charge at night with the car unlocked in the garage (set up a profile for keeping it unlocked). Nevertheless when we charge, and the car finishes the charge, the car goes to sleep, the charge light goes off, and the charge handle button does nothing. We must press a door handle enough to get the charge light on again to allow the button to unlock the charge handle.