Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplug charging cable while car in sleepmode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is the 2nd one. So yesterday morning, it unlocks when I press the button. This morning, it wouldn't do anything even if I hold the button for 60 seconds. I had to unlock/open the trunk first and port gets unlocked. The difference between yesterday and this morning was that yesterday when I left the house, my car had not reach 90% charge yet because I started low on charge. This morning, it reached 90% hours before I left. So I think the car was not in a deep sleep yesterday and this morning it was.
So interestingly enough... my car did an update last night, from 34.1 > 34.1... this morning had the exact behavior you guys are noticing, trunk didn't unlock/or connector (Phone key shows Connected in app), had to open the door.. I was able to duplicate it multiple times. Rebooted the car holding the thumb wheels for 30 seconds and now the trunk/connector is working correctly again. Odd....

This is the J1772 adapter included with the vehicle. I have multiple EVs so I didn't want to change the chargers over to the Tesla connector.
I don't understand you. Your signature says you own a model 3, so you got it with a UMC. This thread is about people having issues unplugging them and trying to troubleshoot their different experiences. Your video saying "it's easy" is of you NOT using a Tesla product, doesn't really contribute to the discussion.

-Randy

I don't understand you. Your signature says you own a model 3, so you got it with a UMC. This thread is about people having issues unplugging them and trying to troubleshoot their different experiences. Your video saying "it's easy" is of you NOT using a Tesla product, doesn't really contribute to the discussion.

-Randy
Randy, I'm sorry but if you read post #2 we are discussing the J1772 adapter as well as UMC... the issue is connected/related to both. Sorry you're confused but you may want to read the entire thread... I posted the video showing how I figured out how to get around the port locking on MY vehicle for MY situation. I never said anything about it being "easy"... as stated before we are running into multiple issues here. It may be a bug in the software... it may be the phone key as some people mentioned they have Android and others iPhone.

Car is 32.2. IPhone 6. Charge with HPWC.
From where I stand to unplug the HPWC, I can reach the driver's side rear door handle. I push it in just a little, not enough to pop the door open, but it wakes the car and I can disconnect the HWPC. Gets around this problem fine for me.

Randy, I'm sorry but if you read post #2 we are discussing the J1772 adapter as well as UMC... the issue is connected/related to both. Sorry you're confused but you may want to read the entire thread... I posted the video showing how I figured out how to get around the port locking on MY vehicle for MY situation. I never said anything about it being "easy"... as stated before we are running into multiple issues here. It may be a bug in the software... it may be the phone key as some people mentioned they have Android and others iPhone.

Sigh.

Pressing the button on a J1772 connector handle is totally different than pressing the button on a Tesla connector. Really should have mentioned that at the outset so we weren't all confused by your posts.

(And post #2 was misinformed anyway.)

To be honest, I thought pressing the Tesla handle button and any J1772 connector button would be similar if not the same. They both sent a wireless signal to the car telling it to unlock the charge port. To be clear, I am using the Tesla UMC Gen 2. This morning, the charge port would not unlock just like yesterday. So far it seem consistent for me that if the car is charged to the limit I set overnight, the charge port would not unlock unless
1) door/trunk open first
2) open the app (does not need to wait for car to fully wake up... about 1 second after app open the charge T lights up and can be unlocked)

Pressing the button on a J1772 connector handle is totally different than pressing the button on a Tesla connector. Really should have mentioned that at the outset so we weren't all confused by your posts.
I doubt it's any different from the car's point of view. Likely the Tesla J1772 adapter translates a button press on the J1772 handle into the same signal that the Tesla handle generates.

Reactions: brandonee916
To be honest, I thought pressing the Tesla handle button and any J1772 connector button would be similar if not the same. They both sent a wireless signal to the car telling it to unlock the charge port.

There’s nothing wireless going on with a standard J1772 connector.

I doubt it's any different from the car's point of view. Likely the Tesla J1772 adapter translates a button press on the J1772 handle into the same signal that the Tesla handle generates.

See above.

Last edited:
Reactions: israndy and cwerdna
To be honest, I thought pressing the Tesla handle button and any J1772 connector button would be similar if not the same. They both sent a wireless signal to the car telling it to unlock the charge port. To be clear, I am using the Tesla UMC Gen 2. This morning, the charge port would not unlock just like yesterday. So far it seem consistent for me that if the car is charged to the limit I set overnight, the charge port would not unlock unless
1) door/trunk open first
2) open the app (does not need to wait for car to fully wake up... about 1 second after app open the charge T lights up and can be unlocked)

#2 did not work for me this morning.

I'm not talking about wireless. I'm talking about the signaling on the CAN bus that Tesla uses for communication between the car and the EVSE. Again, a J1772 handle with the Tesla adapter likely behaves exactly the same as the Tesla handle from car's perspective, so the button press behavior should be the same.
I haven’t tried my adapter yet, but does the J1772 adapter unplug along with the EVSE or does it stay in the car?

I haven’t tried my adapter yet, but does the J1772 adapter unplug along with the EVSE or does it stay in the car?
The car unlocks whatever is in the charge port when you push the button. The best way to get the adapter out is to first push the button on the J1772 handle to tell the car to unlock the port, then release the button again (so it locks to the adapter), pull them both out, and then take the adapter off from the handle. If you just push the button and remove the handle the adapter will stay in the port and is kind of difficult to remove.

• Helpful
Reactions: diamond.g
So I tried. It does interrupt charging. And since I was standing next to the car the adapter came out as well.

HPWC -> J1772 Adapter -> UMC Adapter -> car

Not sure if the unlocking of the port is supposed to happen. Will try with phone in airplane mode later.

This thread is getting off topic and talking about 2 very different things.... OP is referring to the charge port unlocking during the charge, not the charge port door

Not during the charge. After the charge.

(In my experience, at least...) While it is actively charging, the car doesn't go to sleep, so it will recognize a button press on the UMC/HPWC connector and unlock the latch on the connector so you can remove it. But after charging is complete, the car will (eventually) go to sleep and then it won't recognize the button presses, and you won't be able to unplug the connector via a simple button push.

Not during the charge. After the charge.

(In my experience, at least...) While it is actively charging, the car doesn't go to sleep, so it will recognize a button press on the UMC/HPWC connector and unlock the latch on the connector so you can remove it. But after charging is complete, the car will (eventually) go to sleep and then it won't recognize the button presses, and you won't be able to unplug the connector via a simple button push.

This sounds right to me too. Once the car is charged, I unplug it either by waking the car from the app, or more often by just opening the driver door, then unplug.

Thanks, that is very clear @jsmay311, what isn't is this whole business with the J1772. Everyone who has had the car respond to pressing the button on a J1772 (not the Tesla UMC) raise their hand. The ones I have experience with just move a latch when you press that button allowing you to remove it from your adaptor, or on our other cars remove it from the charge port.

Saying that there are J1772s out there that behave differently, causing the Tesla to unlock, and chaulking that up to Canbus may require citing a reference or two. What charger is that for instance?

Sorry, back to the original topic.

-Randy

The ones I have experience with just move a latch when you press that button allowing you to remove it from your adaptor, or on our other cars remove it from the charge port.
The button on a J1772 does more than release the latch. Technically, it changes the resistance on the proximity detection circuit in the handle (PP pin). For non-Tesla cars this is a signal to stop the charging process.

The Tesla adapter translates this into a Tesla-compatible signal, which causes the car to stop charging and, if the car is unlocked or an authorized phone is detected nearby, unlock the latch in the charge port (otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove the adapter from the charge port after charging from J1772). Note that you don't need to actually remove the J1772 plug for all this to happen. You can easily try this yourself.

Reactions: jsmay311
My experience is that a sleeping Model 3 will not react to the HPWC button press. I lightly press the rear door handle inward (not enough to open the door, just enough to wake the car--verified by clunk and whines). Within about 3 to 4 seconds the button works. Maybe the Model 3 sleeps more deeply (lower watts) than the MS...

My experience is that a sleeping Model 3 will not react to the HPWC button press. I lightly press the rear door handle inward (not enough to open the door, just enough to wake the car--verified by clunk and whines). Within about 3 to 4 seconds the button works. Maybe the Model 3 sleeps more deeply (lower watts) than the MS...

This is what I do as well. No need to open the door, just depress the handle enough to wake the car up.