Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is not necessarily ideal to immediately charge to a MAX charge and then leave the car sitting like that all night.

I don't think one night of sitting at MAX range is going to make a difference in the long term life of the battery. And if this is a recurring theme at a public charger, than scheduling a charge blocks the public charger for others, no matter what the time of day or night. Scheduling a charge should really only be done in private charging situations. I'm sure there are some exceptions of stations that have 10 chargers and taking up one charger with 9 other ones empty perhaps wouldn't be impacting anyone in that situation, but if there are only a couple chargers at that site, then it really is near equivalent to blocking a pump at a gas station.

Heres an idea...

eInk cards (size of maybe 1.5 business cards) that you can leave in the rear window or on the dash,

tells the person waiting in line how long you need the charger for (as in what time he/she can unplug the car, 14:30, 18:30, etc)
and maybe your cell and first name

so before you leave, just determine how long you need the charger for (your phone app should tell you), program the eink card, and off you go.

EDIT: some what of a flaw in my idea, i cannot find an ebook reader that will let you take "notes" however....... this kobo touch ebook reader can read PDF/TXT/etc which means you just save 48 premade files into your microSD card with times as file names in 30 min intervals (24hr format) and then open the pdf with all the prewritten info on it.

http://www.kobo.com/kobo-touch.html

its $70+tax, somewhat extreme for a an improvised post it note.

Last edited:
If you plug into a public charger you should start to charge immediately. You can leave a note saying when the charge will be finished. You can indicate that it would be acceptable to unplug when finished or leave a cell phone number.

You really should grab your juice when you can on the road. You never know whether there might be an unexpected power outage.
The charging timer was designed for taking advantage of tiered electricity rates at home and not for topping off your battery at the last minute.

Regardless of whether what the op did was correct or not the whole, "I need the power so I will just unplug someone else's car" mentality of the EV community is also a problem. I still don't see how it is OK to unplug a car that is owned by someone you don't know because you feel entitled to use the power that is there. Regardless of if the car is currently charging or not.

We need to work together to not block charging spot if we are not using them, but no one should assume it is OK to unplug another persons car.

Regardless of whether what the op did was correct or not the whole, "I need the power so I will just unplug someone else's car" mentality of the EV community is also a problem. I still don't see how it is OK to unplug a car that is owned by someone you don't know because you feel entitled to use the power that is there. Regardless of if the car is currently charging or not.

We need to work together to not block charging spot if we are not using them, but no one should assume it is OK to unplug another persons car.

you gotta go to a supercharger..no way anyone would unplug a car using a supercharger..

If you aren't charging and plugged in, and I NEED charge. I sure as hell will unplug your car. If I leave and you are still parked I'll plug you back in, but I am not going to wait by a non-charging car to be polite if I NEED charge.

If you have a phone number on the dash, I'll call you and tell you what I am doing. And if your car isn't charged, and should have been charging I'll probably wait for you to get enough charge.

Agreed. It's not proper etiquette to unplug anyone without prior permission.

If you aren't charging and plugged in, and I NEED charge. I sure as hell will unplug your car. If I leave and you are still parked I'll plug you back in, but I am not going to wait by a non-charging car to be polite if I NEED charge.

If you have a phone number on the dash, I'll call you and tell you what I am doing. And if your car isn't charged, and should have been charging I'll probably wait for you to get enough charge.

Out of curiosity what was your feeling on that plug lock that was being sold? I never really looked at it too close before he did the recall but it looked like it locked the charger to the car even if it wasn't pulling any juice. What would you do under those circumstances?

Agreed. It's not proper etiquette to unplug anyone without prior permission.

I agree with ElSupreme. If someone doesn't leave contact information and their car is done charging then it is totally appropriate to unplug them if you need a charge. You could always leave a not on their car saying 'I saw you were fully charged so I unplugged you. Send me a text if this is a problem as I am using the charger now. Thanks'

Out of curiosity what was your feeling on that plug lock that was being sold? I never really looked at it too close before he did the recall but it looked like it locked the charger to the car even if it wasn't pulling any juice. What would you do under those circumstances?

I would try to unplug them. If I couldn't, proper locking. I would leave them a note letting them no they prevented me from charging, and my phone number so they could call me when they unplug so that I can plug in.

I am not destroying property here. I am not inconveniencing anyone, I just take personal charge of my situation.

Parking an EV while not charging (and to some degree without needing charge) in an EV spot is just as bad as ICEing one. In fact I would say it is WORSE, as the EV driver should know better.

While I'm inclined to agree, the problem with the Model S is a third party can't tell if it's charging or sitting... at least by any indication on the car. The charge port ring goes dark when the car is locked. The EVSE may have some sort of indication, but the Model S could just be pre-heating or pre-cooling and drawing shore power.

While I'm inclined to agree, the problem with the Model S is a third party can't tell if it's charging or sitting... at least by any indication on the car. The charge port ring goes dark when the car is locked. The EVSE may have some sort of indication, but the Model S could just be pre-heating or pre-cooling and drawing shore power.

Doesn't the small LCD screen show it is charging or does that go black after awhile?

Sorry but i think you are partially to blame. Imaging you are needing to charge and the person plugged in is not actually charging. I would also unplug you. If you are using it I would not. But if the charger is idle i would assume you have toppped off.