Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsold Model 3 sitting in lot awaiting buyers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, where do they stock inventory model 3? at the service/sale centers?

My guess is the mothership... then they teleport them to the dealer, which explains the two hour claim.

I never understood the whole dealer experience at the established brands. It seems like it's all done to saddle you with things you don't want (underbody coating scams come to mind, as do financing plans). If you're dumb enough to buy a car based on how much it will be a month you deserve to get screwed. Buying a car should be easy, like it is at Tesla. Now if they could only run their service departments the same way!

My guess is the mothership... then they teleport them to the dealer, which explains the two hour claim.

I never understood the whole dealer experience at the established brands. It seems like it's all done to saddle you with things you don't want (underbody coating scams come to mind, as do financing plans). If you're dumb enough to buy a car based on how much it will be a month you deserve to get screwed. Buying a car should be easy, like it is at Tesla. Now if they could only run their service departments the same way!

FWIW- ordering a car with Tesla is easy.

buying and actually taking delivery of one for lots of Model 3 owners was painful and very overly complex. (tons of threads on this)

Same stuff seems to be happening to folks needing service now.... (parts with months-long waits, 3 different answers from 3 different people to the same question, SCs not answering or returning calls, etc)

Reactions: mattjs33
For example, I took delivery of an inventory M3 in December at the Brentwood, TN Tesla delivery center. They don’t store a ton of inventory at that crowded location, but store quite a bit of inventory at a mall in Franklin, TN about 10 minutes away. As far as I know, Tesla is building model 3 to inventory rather than to order now that they’ve worked through a lot of the reservations that were willing to take a more expensive config. They are actively limiting the different configs available so that they can fulfil orders from inventory.

For example, I took delivery of an inventory M3 in December at the Brentwood, TN Tesla delivery center. They don’t store a ton of inventory at that crowded location, but store quite a bit of inventory at a mall in Franklin, TN about 10 minutes away. As far as I know, Tesla is building model 3 to inventory rather than to order now that they’ve worked through a lot of the reservations that were willing to take a more expensive config. They are actively limiting the different configs available so that they can fulfil orders from inventory.

How was your experience with buying through inventory in Brentwood? I'm looking at doing the same and they were telling me they had dozens of 3's in inventory. I was hoping finding a car with better quality control was a bit easier having different options to choose from "off the lot" versus hoping for the best when an ordered car was delivered. I'd much rather look at the car in person before buying vs waiting and hoping when it gets delivered with how a lot of the issues with deliveries have gone.

I would love to see what the waiting list looks like. I went to the Tesla site and any configuration gets delivered in February or late February.
Are they getting 5k new orders every week? They had 450k reservations, 200k delivered... how many cancelled and how many are waiting for the promised 35k?

Reactions: mattjs33
I was told a couple of weeks. In Calgary.
interesting, I see the new critical articles out there about the 'demand cliff'
If there were 250,000 people still on a wait list and demand is >>> supply, how is it I can order any variation and get it next week?
Either the 35k people are reeaallly stubborn and patient, or they don't exist in the numbers that are assumed.

If there were 250,000 people still on a wait list and demand is >>> supply, how is it I can order any variation and get it next week?
Either the 35k people are reeaallly stubborn and patient, or they don't exist in the numbers that are assumed.

At least some of the 250k including many in the US are still waiting on the short range car... (this is kind of dumb, from a math perspective, given the tax credit stuff....since they could've bought an MR with PUP for not much more than a stripped SR will cost them with no tax credit... but many people are kind of dumb from a math perspective- and presumably many outside the US also want the cheap SR model and for them it may make more sense to have waited than for the US folks)

Also US cars are different from non-US cars (to varying degrees, but at least some SW differences, HW ones in RHD too). It's likely US demand is below 5k a week right now, and orders are being filled largely with inventory vehicles while the factory does most of its production for overseas- where there remains demand not filled all the way back to 2016 orders.

After europe and china you've also got the pent up demand in the RHD countries to fill.

Tesla believe they'll have ongoing demand, once the car is available worldwide, to use up 7,000 a week US production (for entire world) plus 3000 a week China production (coming on line by end of year- and only for the Chinese market)- presumably this will include SR versions though whose demand we don't have any data on other than reservations not used but still existing right now.

Something doesn't smell right about this. I suspect the demand is no where near as high as planned.

I would love to see what the waiting list looks like. I went to the Tesla site and any configuration gets delivered in February or late February.
Are they getting 5k new orders every week? They had 450k reservations, 200k delivered... how many cancelled and how many are waiting for the promised 35k?

Valid point...

But just playing devil's advocate here, but could many of the "leftover 250K reservationists" that have not yet purchased, be overseas reservations that are just now receiving cars?

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl