Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few people mentioned it already. I think it will be a home/condo shared charging solution. Here's my detailed prediction:

* similar to HWC, but shared and tracks which tesla is charging.
* bills owners for electricity used and the pays that to "owner" of charger.
* supports 40/80amp installs.
* either free to install or cost of install is returned over reasonable time through usage payment.

Reactions: brkaus
I have an inside source. It's Tesla's version of a bike.

On one hand, I'd think a Tesla eBike would be awesome. On the other hand, as a shareholder, I'd think why are they spending time on this? Tesla needs to focusing on getting the Model 3 in production and working on advanced technologies that will keep them ahead of everyone else, everything else is a distraction.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Man, do I hope that either (1) you're kidding or (2) they're wrong. A Tesla bike would dorkify the brand.

I disagree. I think it would be especially cool if it had an electrical assist. This would come in handy at super chargers like the one in my town where the services near to it are so so and the downtown (an easy bike away) has a lot offer the traveler coming through. The only question I would have about a Tesla bike would be if it offered anything new another company did not already do well.

556 votes and 207 of them are for a feature, and not a product.

Elon clearly said PRODUCT.

Now that doesn't mean I won't be enthusiastic if those 207 people turn out to be right. In terms of the possibilities it's the one I'm most excited about.

Anything Solar/Charging related will come at another announcement. My understand is they're bring those two things together.
100D is expected, and Elon said it wouldn't be expected
Model Y is plausible, but it seems a bit over extending to have another major product.
A bike seems more plausible if it's a Tesla Store rebranding kind of thing for people who want a foldable bike that fits in the Tesla.
Insurance seems plausible, but too boring for me to even consider

I don't think we've correctly guessed what it's going to be even though Elon gave us extra time to guess.

My vote is for something more commercial. To start helping to improve the ability of companies to monetize on the Model 3. It's within the time frame of the need to prepare for a heck of a lot more electrical cars on the road.

Reactions: DIL
Someone is buying the old Mitsubishi auto plant in Normal, IL. Hope it is Tesla

Peterson: Possible Mitsubishi buyer not AM General

Interesting ... I did not see that one coming :cool:

NORMAL — A new company has entered the fray to potentially acquire the former Mitsubishi plant in Normal.
Five days after plant owner Maynards Industries delayed an auction of the property for a possible "entirety sale,"
Normal City Manager Mark Peterson said an automotive company is negotiating a purchase — and it's not AM General.

AM General, the Indiana automaker that originated the Humvee, tried to buy the plant but couldn't come to terms, said Maynards Industries USA Division President Taso Sofikitis in August.

“They haven’t purchased it yet," Peterson said of the new buyer. "We are going to be meeting with them this week; 'we' meaning some local officials. They will undoubtedly be pushing for some local incentives. I believe they’re doing the same at the state level.”

On one hand, I'd think a Tesla eBike would be awesome. On the other hand, as a shareholder, I'd think why are they spending time on this? Tesla needs to focusing on getting the Model 3 in production and working on advanced technologies that will keep them ahead of everyone else, everything else is a distraction.

screen-shot-2016-07-15-at-092032png.png

If you are a shareholder and believe in Tesla mission, an electric bike is a great match on many levels:

- Household basic sustainable kit (ebike + ecar + powerbank + solar panel)
- Minimal use of construction materials, energy and logistics to deliver a one-person transport solution
- Tremendous PR boost to introduce the concept in people's mind -> "How about an ebike for your daily commutes ?"

The announcement was delayed so that people will have had the opportunity to watch the PBS "American Experience" documentary on Nikola Tesla, which just aired earlier tonight, and learn about his unfulfilled plan to transmit electricity wirelessly. Wednesday's product announcement will be no less than Tesla Energy revealing that they've successfully realized Nikola Tesla's long derided dream. Tesla automobiles will be the first devices to be able to utilize the wireless power grid once it gets built out by 2020. Large on-board battery packs will no longer be required as the cars will recharge continuously and wirelessly whenever they are within range of the Tesla power grid. Basically, this will eliminate range anxiety. In keeping with Nikola Tesla's dream to provide free power and Tesla Motor's commitment to provide free Supercharging for life, there will be no additional charge to utilize this grid for all Tesla cars currently enabled for Supercharging. It is unclear at this time if future cars, such as the Model 3, will have free access or if the speculated pay-as-you-go charging model will apply.

Last edited:
The announcement was delayed so that people will have had the opportunity to watch the PBS "American Experience" documentary on Nikola Tesla, which just aired earlier tonight, and learn about his unfulfilled plan to transmit electricity wirelessly. Wednesday's product announcement will be no less than Tesla Energy revealing that they've successfully realized Nikola Tesla's long derided dream. Tesla automobiles will be the first devices to be able to utilize the wireless power grid once it gets built out by 2020. Large on-board battery packs will no longer be required as the cars will recharge continuously and wirelessly whenever they are within range of the Tesla power grid. Basically, this will eliminate range anxiety. In keeping with Nikola Tesla's dream to provide free power and Tesla Motor's commitment to provide free Supercharging for life, there will be no additional charge to utilize this grid for all Tesla cars currently enabled for Supercharging. It is unclear at this time if future cars, such as the Model 3, will have free access or if the speculated pay-as-you-go charging model will apply.
Yes, I hope it is kinda revolutionary product like you quotes and not mini Tesla for kids toy product, although my son would love to own one

I heard they have a 3,500 mile range 15,000 lb battery in the works. Hmm, I didn't do the math, but does this pencil out as a possibility? Just tow this 7.5 ton battery behind your Model X and you can make it cross country on a single charge. Is this crazy? Or simply not crazy enough?

Quantum teleportation for energy (and data) transfer needs only satellites....
http://phys.org/news/2014-01-theory-teleport-energy-distances.html

If you are a shareholder and believe in Tesla mission, an electric bike is a great match on many levels

It sure is, but why should Tesla enter the e-bike market, where there are so many well established and successful players already?
I know, they entered the car market as well even though there were loads of established players. But that was with BEVs, which at the time they entered the market no other volume manufacturer had in its portfolio.
But with e-bikes it's different. They have been commonplace for many years and lots of manufacturers are already catering for that market.
Sure, the more the better, but Tesla better had some very unique USP or else they will just be one of many.

I for one would not be at all excited if Tesla announced an e-bike as their new "unexpected product" today.
Then again, I don't really know what other unexpected product it could be. I'll just let myself be (hopefully positively) surprised ;-)

Last edited: