Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So at this point, anyone running MPP or UP coilovers (or lowering springs for that matter) on a P3D are running prototypes on the since they're both still in preorder status, correct?

I preordered mine from UP in October and got an e-mail about 3 weeks ago that they were shipping soon, but pinged them last Friday and they are still MIA.

Seems about right. Although, there's a guy on the Tesla Corsa FB group that has his set of the UP coilovers for his AWD 3.

Here's another shot of the coilovers off the car:

50576439_2129669393761321_2127679553798144_n.jpg

Just curious why the change from Hyperco to Swift springs? I know you wanted a little stiffer than the spring rate that was to be stock but was there not an equivelent spring from Hyperco or was it decided the Swift spring is superior for you application?

I'm actually running MUCH stiffer than stock, Hyperco and Swift are pretty similar and i think it was likely a price/availability decision to go with Swift for these. This is also a prototype, so the specifics might change before they become available for general purchase.

Can you take some weights compared to stock while you have it out?

Ah thats just an old photo, the coilovers are very much installed on the car and performed incredibly at Tesla Corsa today. Very little body roll, yet i can hit curbs hard without upsetting the car.

I'm actually running MUCH stiffer than stock, Hyperco and Swift are pretty similar and i think it was likely a price/availability decision to go with Swift for these. This is also a prototype, so the specifics might change before they become available for general purchase.

Ah thats just an old photo, the coilovers are very much installed on the car and performed incredibly at Tesla Corsa today. Very little body roll, yet i can hit curbs hard without upsetting the car.
Great work out there today. Didn't get to introduce myself, because you were always going so fast lol.

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Anyone who installed MPP coilovers on RWD with stock aeros list the advantages over stock coilovers?
Any benefit in range?
Ride comfort has dramatic increase? Is it like Benz S class or E class shocks?
Just trying to understand the reasons to switch other than looks and lowering fender gaps.
Thanks in advance.
John

Either i just had some crazy deja vu or i've seen this question posted somewhere else before...

Lowering a car is going to give slight efficiency improvements, but really not that much. Could easily be offset by your driving style.

Not sure about the MPP coilovers, but with UP yes you will have an increase in comfort. Not sure how that compared to a Merc, but it's better than stock.

Most of the reason for switching is to lower the car without hurting ride quality and to get a sportier feel/less body roll in turns.

I read UP was terrible compared to MPP and most comfort was lost but most of them were in Moderate springs.

MPP doesn't make lowering springs, so i'm not sure how you could compare them? You may be confusing lowering springs with coilovers.

Lowering springs are definitely a cheaper option for lowering you car and they will always result in a not great ride comfort wise, but you save a good bit of money.

You didn't read my post properly then. My question is about MPP coliovers and you offered UP lowering springs. My response to that was UP lowering springs ride comfort is not great based on reviews I read here.

Now my question is MPP coilovers whoever installed are they getting better comfort than stock? Can you rate it against BMW 5 series or Benz E class sedans in terms of comfort?

My stock ride coming from BMW 5 series is not great which is why I posted this question to people who own comfort coilovers from MPP.

Again I don't want UP lowering coils

MPP doesn't make lowering springs, so i'm not sure how you could compare them? You may be confusing lowering springs with coilovers.

Lowering springs are definitely a cheaper option for lowering you car and they will always result in a not great ride comfort wise, but you save a good bit of money.

Now that I see your signature, you have UP coilovers. How do you compare it against stock shocks? Strictly for everyday street driver.

What's your ride height reduction with the coilovers?

You didn't read my post properly then. My question is about MPP coliovers and you offered UP lowering springs. My response to that was UP lowering springs ride comfort is not great based on reviews I read here.

Now my question is MPP coilovers whoever installed are they getting better comfort than stock? Can you rate it against BMW 5 series or Benz E class sedans in terms of comfort?

My stock ride coming from BMW 5 series is not great which is why I posted this question to people who own comfort coilovers from MPP.

Again I don't want UP lowering coils

From what I read above you brought up UP moderate lowering springs, not Kbecks. His response was pretty clearly in regards to coilovers.

Yes had to post because no response from other places. I read UP was terrible compared to MPP and most comfort was lost but most of them were in Moderate springs.

But any way I just installed the UP moderates last weekend. They are actually a very good ride, similar to stock in comfort but tight in corners. The only problems are 1- noise: I tried for days to get rid of the clunking over bumps/potholes/etc. I was able to reduce it a bit but not cure the 'clunk clunk' completely.

And 2: reverse rake. Though there are a lot of pictures on their site where no rake is evident, pretty clearly on my car and a few others in the community there is. Also seems theres a lot of variance in how much they will lower from car-to-car.

Mine only lowered about 1". My car on the left (moderate) compared to milds from their website on the right (both cars on stock 18s). Washed the color out so the wheel gap is a little easier to see.

comparison.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13