Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would imagine both would improve ride quality depending on settings. Noise is more tire and soundproofing

Well ride is a whole interactive complex of things including tires especially sidewalls, unsprung weight, bushing compliance, control over oscillations, shock tuning Etc. it takes a lot of work to tune the suspension for the best possible ride. Especially when you got the challenge of an ultra low profile Tire. All things considered the model 3 rides extremely well, and has a pretty close to Ideal ride / handling balance for most people. Maybe not for tracking but given how well it rides it's pretty competent on the track even without coilover kits lowering Etc.

Well ride is a whole interactive complex of things including tires especially sidewalls, unsprung weight, bushing compliance, control over oscillations, shock tuning Etc. it takes a lot of work to tune the suspension for the best possible ride. Especially when you got the challenge of an ultra low profile Tire. All things considered the model 3 rides extremely well, and has a pretty close to Ideal ride / handling balance for most people. Maybe not for tracking but given how well it rides it's pretty competent on the track even without coilover kits lowering Etc.
Yeah but a well made coilover(while having setbacks) can be better at both worlds than a typical spring/strut. As I said, it's mentioned a lot in this thread. With digressive valving you it will be stiff during slow changes to the suspension(turning, accelerating, etc). Then in faster changes(rumble strips, potholes, bumps, etc) it'll be soft. Obviously this is ideal - so would need testing but Kbecks13 seems happy with it(though he has the sport)

One page back

Ok definitely some confusion - but my point is basically that coilovers from either brand (MPP or UP) will give a better rider (softer on bumps/potholes) than stock mainly due to the more digressive valving that they use. They will also be stiffer in corners and give less body roll, it's a bit of "best of both worlds" and again is from the digressive valving.

Yeah but a well made coilover(while having setbacks) can be better at both worlds than a typical spring/strut. As I said, it's mentioned a lot in this thread. With digressive valving you it will be stiff during slow changes to the suspension(turning, accelerating, etc). Then in faster changes(rumble strips, potholes, bumps, etc) it'll be soft. Obviously this is ideal - so would need testing but Kbecks13 seems happy with it(though he has the sport)

One page back
Not sure why all the digressive valving hype but Sasha at MPP has already confirmed the stock suspension is digressive and as far as coilovers for the model 3, they are only coilovers in the front with MPP and UP as well as the stock units, obviously much higher quality materials in the aftermarket units, as far as ride quality goes i'm happy with mine especially since going to a 255/40/19 conti dws06 tires but of course there is always room for improvement.

I would really like to go for a test ride to compare, I would be interested in coilovers if I thought I could both improve comfort while improving the handling.

Last edited:
Not sure why all the digressive valving hype but Sasha at MPP has already confirmed the stock suspension is digressive and as far as coilovers for the model 3, they are only coilovers in the front with MPP and UP as well as the stock units, obviously much higher quality materials in the aftermarket units, as far as ride quality goes i'm happy with mine especially since going to a 255/40/19 conti dws06 tires but of course there is always room for improvement.

I would really like to go for a test ride to compare, I would be interested in coilovers if I thought I could both improve comfort while improving the handling.
Yeah - there is no way the struts could be as well as they are without digressive but you can change the level of digressive, there is a lot of roll still in stock. I have some good tests for when they arrive.

Reactions: gilscales
I saw a couple of people from Seattle on this thread. I am seriously considering MPP Sports. Can someone demo them for me in Seattle area? If someone has the higher ride height - factory or 10mm lower - I would be especially interested as I don't really want to lower my car's suspension. Also, if you used a shop to install your coilovers, can you recommend one in Seattle area to me?

Yes, our dampers are digressive in both compression and rebound as nearly all modern sports dampers are. As kbecks13 said, the "knee" is simply a high-speed bleed that opens at a certain shaft velocity.

The OEM dampers are also digressive.

Just got your Sports coilover kit or at least the first and most important part of it and I'm hopefully getting the last chunk later this week with the new front spacer setup. I really like what you've done to eliminate the helper spring and its associated noise issues. The kit looks super high-quality. Very excited to get it on the car.

Thanks again for your great support and service. We are fortunate in the Tesla Community to have you guys!

Got my kit today. It came with helper springs, so I am confused. Do I just not use it?

Correct. Go to their website and you will see new instructions with a new picture of the revised front strut assembly. It no longer has the tender or helper springs and it also shows you the order and placement in terms of the rubber, Teflon and stainless rings that come with the kit. Instead there is a spacer kit that goes on top that takes up some of the room that was previously consumed by the helper springs. It's not quite identical so I think there are new parameters for setting your spring height depending on how much you want to drop the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MountainPass
FBA786EF-3BEC-490D-A84E-C0AD13B7EA4B.jpeg
Thank you! I have no complaints about the coil overs. Transformed the appearance with better ride quality just like you promised.

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass