Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These things are easy replacable. Someone buy RWD can paint their calipers and upgrade rotors as they want. Same as the badge and spoiler. I may also upgrade to aftermarket products for better performance.

What’s on the screen is the only thing would never go.

True. I've already replaced my front rotors, sold my 20's, and still don't have a badge or spoiler. But, I'm not all that concerned if people know that I spent $70k+ (before refunds and tax incentives).

Reactions: StealthP3D
Track Mode Disclaimer Message on the car said:
Track Mode was designed for vehicles with the Performance Upgrade Package. Performance and endurance is comparatively lower without performance tires and brakes

Huh... I'd have sworn there were folks insisting there'd be no difference and nothing in the design or programming would've been specific to the P3D+ items...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Huh... I'd have sworn there were folks insisting there'd be no difference and nothing in the design or programming would've been specific to the P3D+ items...
All this reads to me is if you have stock Stealth parts you will hit thermal limits faster. But if install aftermarket tires and brakes (the only appreciable diff with PUP) then Track Mode should perform the same as a P3D+ or better depending on the parts.

All this reads to me is if you have stock Stealth parts you will hit thermal limits faster. But if install aftermarket tires and brakes (the only appreciable diff with PUP) then Track Mode should perform the same as a P3D+ or better depending on the parts.
I agree, based on the message it seems that Tesla is delivering the exact same track mode to the P-, and could probably deliver the same to the standard AWD model if they wanted to.

Can we get a picture of your energy use while using track mode? ;)
consumption.jpg

Yes, that was me and I will continue to say that no Track Mode operational code needed to be altered between P+ and P- because it was designed like I thought, properly, not relying on performance characteristics of specific hardware but strictly on a closed system sensory loop from the get-go.

And of course the text language and probably the flags to included this feature in the P- variant is a tiny code change but that's not the point I've tried to make in the past. My point was to categorically debunk the idea that Track Mode was so poorly designed as to have a total reliance on the small hardware differences between the P+ and the P- parts and that the reason it was released so late was because it needed all kinds of new development and testing.

I said that then and I still contend now more than ever that there was no special development for the P- Track Mode and they could have released it months ago.

Yes, that was me and I will continue to say that no Track Mode operational code needed to be altered between P+ and P- because it was designed like I thought, properly, not relying on performance characteristics of specific hardware but strictly on a closed system sensory loop from the get-go.

And of course the text language and probably the flags to included this feature in the P- variant is a tiny code change but that's not the point I've tried to make in the past. My point was to categorically debunk the idea that Track Mode was so poorly designed as to have a total reliance on the small hardware differences between the P+ and the P- parts.

I contend that there was no special development for the P- Track Mode and they could have released it months ago.

It's been a minute since my dynamic controls courses, but I wouldn't trust a company developing AP logic that couldn't implement proper control logic for traction/stability control that didn't rely on fixed responses for tire and braking models.

Reactions: Msjulie

And of course the text language and probably the flags to included this feature in the P- variant is a tiny code change but that's not the point I've tried to make in the past. My point was to categorically debunk the idea that Track Mode was so poorly designed as to have a total reliance on the small hardware differences between the P+ and the P- parts and that the reason it was released so late was because it needed all kinds of new development and testing.

I said that then and I still contend now more than ever that there was no special development for the P- Track Mode and they could have released it months ago.
Yep, and they could give it to non-P AWD tomorrow if they wanted. Now RWD would take some coding, but probably more a matter of commenting lines out than anything else.

Reactions: Perry
Yep, and they could give it to non-P AWD tomorrow if they wanted. Now RWD would take some coding, but probably more a matter of commenting lines out than anything else.

...yea, but the P crowd needs some bones to feel like the extra $ was worth it. Track Mode was one of those things that was advertised, and help push many owners over the edge to go from AWD to P.

It's been a minute since my dynamic controls courses, but I wouldn't trust a company developing AP logic that couldn't implement proper control logic for traction/stability control that didn't rely on fixed responses for tire and braking models.
Yes I agree, if you are taking about calibrating the software on a robot who's job is creating 2nm soldering connections on a micro processor.

But like I said before, Track Mode has to be way more resilient than that to work because the road conditions together with the equipment ware are far larger factors on braking performance than the small differences between P+ and P-. I think they have to account for much larger fluctuations in behavior anyway even if it was only to work on P+.

Reactions: StealthP3D