Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#1) However, I would highly expect the top speed of non PUP to stay in effect (145 mph, maybe +7 mph). That is partly what PUP owners paid extra for. How often do folks hit that top speed at the track?
While I agree with your logic I think Stealth will still get the 162mph bump. That's because the press release stated explicitly it applies to Model 3 Performance models which legally includes Stealth. If they don't give it to us owners would finally have the smoking gun needed to prove Tesla lied about the cars they sold and would be liable. Its in Tesla's legal interest to give stealth cars everything that PUP gets moving forward and continue to pretend like it never happened.

You only lost 10 miles over a week? I lose more than that over a weekend (because of it wanting to wake up and run the pumps, radio amps, massage the charge port for 6 hour stretches every 24 hours). That really eats the battery at around 2 mph.

Was that a full week 7 or a business trip week 4.5 days?

A full week. I last drove the car last Monday, the 4th, in the morning.

The next time I drove it was yesterday around 8am. I didn't check in on it or anything, so it was fast asleep.

The pack was cold, and the battery had the snowflake, showing a "loss" of around 25 miles....but when it was warmed back up, that range was restored.

Reactions: mswlogo
1- The PD3- is limited, and the tires make the car feel unsafe. I noticed it and confirmed after changing the tires. One of the magazines that was able to get a PD3- reported it too. And yes you can drive it fast but that does not mean with better tires will not improve 100%.
2- the PD3- is software limited, and I hope is not hardware limited with the same hardware as the AWD because that is not what they said when I bought it.
3- Until proven otherwise or Tesla makes a statement that they "uncorked" it, the top speed is also limited. So starting from there IT IS limited and always has been.
4- Tesla will not upgrade the car to PUP (PUO), and They will not allow to buy the parts, which is what SC told me, because the car does not come with them. (and would be extremely expensive)

I drive 80mph regularly as that's the flow of traffic in SoCal. I never once felt the car was unstable at this speeds in the stock wheels/tires. Quite the contrary the car is butter smooth and rock solid.

True, the stock MXM4 Primacy are known for their high speed stability. They are not a performance tire but, for an all-season radiial, they are surprisingly good. For sporty driving at higher speeds, the MXM4's really don't want to have less than 45-46 PSI cold. This will read as 50 PSI on the TPMS after a good drive. People run them way too soft and then complain they are crappy tires which is simply not true.

True, the stock MXM4 Primacy are known for their high speed stability. They are not a performance tire but, for an all-season radiial, they are surprisingly good. For sporty driving at higher speeds, the MXM4's really don't want to have less than 45-46 PSI cold. This will read as 50 PSI on the TPMS after a good drive. People run them way too soft and then complain they are crappy tires which is simply not true.
Actually I ran them at 47 psi, if you have them just swap them for good summer tires and then you will see the difference. Anyways after swapping them for summer 18"s I got confident the problem was the tires and not the suspension, so I went for the 20"s.

Actually I ran them at 47 psi, if you have them just swap them for good summer tires and then you will see the difference. Anyways after swapping them for summer 18"s I got confident the problem was the tires and not the suspension, so I went for the 20"s.

Really? An all-season radial is a compromise when it comes to performance on warm, dry pavement?

Who woulda' thunk?;)

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
I wanna, but I don't think there is a Track that long.... :)
Yesterday, early in the morning, there was a gap of cars on Hwy 85 where there where absolutely no cars on a four lane highway for as far as I could see (about 1 mile). It was unusual. I shot up to 139mph quickly then backed down as I was approaching an overpass and didn't want to take a chance on a cop staking the area. Goal was to go slightly past 145 to test the limit but was just shy of that. All I can say is that it didn't take much length (probably a little over a quarter mile) to get that high because of the awesome acceleration of the P3D.

Laguna Seca has a pretty long straight away which I think might be possible to go above the advertised 145mph for a brief moment. I'll see what I can do the next time I am there. If it goes above 145mph then for sure they raised it up to 165mph since I see no reason they would have raised it only to the old advertised P+ limit of 155.

Last edited:
Yesterday, early in the morning, there was a gap of cars on Hwy 85 where there where absolutely no cars on a four lane highway for as far as I could see (about 1 mile). It was unusual. I shot up to 139mph quickly then backed down as I was approaching an overpass and didn't want to take a chance on a cop staking the area. Goal was to go slightly past 145 to test the limit but was just shy of that. All I can say is that it didn't take much length (probably a little over a quarter mile) to get that high because of the awesome acceleration of the P3D.

Laguna Seca has a pretty long straight away which I think might be possible to go above the advertised 145mph for a brief moment. I'll see what I can do the next time I am there. If it goes above 145mph then for sure they raised it up to 165mph since I see no reason they would have raised it only to the old advertised P+ limit of 155.

there are long stretches of highway near me where it can physically be done at the right time of day. however, the local constabulary probably has differing viewpoints on the matter.....

That sounds awesome, but don’t get us on a cars a coffee douchebag list. Unless you get a helicopter chase and some epic drifts,...no, no second thought don’t do that. Be safe.

there are long stretches of highway near me where it can physically be done at the right time of day. however, the local constabulary probably has differing viewpoints on the matter.....
Many, many years ago I got up to 136 on my Camry on the 210. Not my smartest moment but damn it was fun. That's the fastest I've ever gone in a car to this day.

I wanna, but I don't think there is a Track that long.... :)

giphy-5.gif

Where the magic happens. A few people have posted videos of taking Model 3s to top-end out there.

Congratulations to long suffering P3D- owners for finally getting your Track Mode.

Reactions: daniloreyes
Many, many years ago I got up to 136 on my Camry on the 210. Not my smartest moment but damn it was fun. That's the fastest I've ever gone in a car to this day.

Pre - Track Mode, I got this car up to 119 this past Thanksgiving as part of showing off a little to uncles and cousins.

One of my muscle car-era uncles was scared out of his mind with how quick it was and how quietly it got that fast. He has turned down a return engagement now that it's even quicker.