Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stock brakes on P3D- can't handle how track mode uses the brakes aggressively as a differential, even the P3D+ barely can and the PUP brake pads are way better than the regular ones. I definitely see what you're saying about upgrading brakes on your own and saving the $5K for the PUP, i almost did the same - but Tesla can't give out Track Mode and then hope people will upgrade their brakes before using, someone out there won't do it and then Tesla gets in trouble when their brakes melt.
Sure, but why did Elon mention it in the first place then. Specifically when asked. I wish if he amde a mistake just come out and admit it, seems not to have a problem doing that for other topics.

Reactions: Perry
Sure, but why did Elon mention it in the first place then. Specifically when asked. I wish if he amde a mistake just come out and admit it, seems not to have a problem doing that for other topics.

They could be working on a brake upgrade package for P3D- that would allow track mode. They don't even offer replacement rear brake pads for the sport caliper yet, so they are definitely still working on brakes.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Perry and Lucky13
It came down to a simple game theory decision tree that we had access to back in July 2018.

Was track mode a sure thing? No as it was not advertised on any trim. If not advertised, it’s not owed.

IF track mode was going to be released, what were the odds it would be on the 3P- but not in the 3P+?

Zero.

What would the odds be on it being released on the 3P+ but not the 3P-?

More than zero.

What would be the odds be on it being released on both the 3P+ and 3P-?

Not 100 percent.

There was one choice only if you wanted to be assured of track mode IN THE EVENT it was actually released.

I know there’s smart people here but not sure why there is a mental block and obtuseness regarding this subject. Even with incomplete information, the decision matrices are completely obvious.

I didn’t admit a data point because if you factored that in - there would be no 200 page thread.

In all the videos and articles where track mode was filmed and discussed:

What was the trim? Model 3 Performance with Premium Upgrade Package. Red calipers, 20 inch wheels, plain as day.

Anyone see track mode demonstrations with 18 or 19 inch wheels? Those are likely to be the same wheels and tires that go on the stripped down Model 3 SR.

Anyone see track mode demonstrations with 3rd party wheels and tires not sold by Tesla?

Why not track mode on AWD then? It’s just slower straight line but otherwise same as a 3P-.

Those who gambled and lost need to take responsibility for their choices.

I don't know what it is about the way you talk but it sure seems to offend me. I did take a gamble but not one that was not well researched. I called telsa numerous times in order to try and get the facts on the upgrade package and got garbage info.

I don't know if speak for others but if you have nothing nice to say or can't be helpful in a way that benefits the community, just bounce. This is directed at you mxwing.

In the end this will come down to Tesla and maybe a handful of people pushing them to make it happen. I for one hope they do it. I intend to track my car at least once a month.

The stock brakes on P3D- can't handle how track mode uses the brakes aggressively as a differential, even the P3D+ barely can and the PUP brake pads are way better than the regular ones. I definitely see what you're saying about upgrading brakes on your own and saving the $5K for the PUP, i almost did the same - but Tesla can't give out Track Mode and then hope people will upgrade their brakes before using, someone out there won't do it and then Tesla gets in trouble when their brakes melt.
You can get the brakes to melt even with the PUP upgrade. Tesla can't stop that. Ultimately the owner is responsible with what they do with it on the track. I don't think Tesla takes responsibility for what happens on the track anyway.

Reactions: Msjulie
If I don't like poser red calipers, large heavy wheels, $30 bling pedals, and carbon tail - nothing is stopping me from removing them and put "actual performance" into them?
Yea but why should I pay extra for stuff I am going to remove?
I paid for that Call Option - the right but not the obligation to be a poser. Since you didn't pay then, you can pay now - so I don't see exactly where your problem is at?
The problem I have is with the argument that if I wanted to track the car why didn't I get the PUP. And my answer is I didn't get the PUP exactly because I wanted to track the car so I decided to apply my 5K to track parts rather than poser bling.
Track Mode wasn't on my MVPA nor was it on yours.
Not making a legal argument here. I am making a what's wright argument and what is an appropriate action. The P3D- was and is still called a "performance" model. Other manufacturers BMW, Audi, etc. when they have performance cars they allow at least some disabling of the nannies. So i expect Tesla to do the same in the vein of being on par with the competition. The least they can do is allow for overclocked cooling. That takes no extra development not requires the bling parts.

There is very few manufactures like Porsche giving you choice for each very specific option. Most of them sell upgrades in packages, and each package has something you want and something you don’t. In my perspective it’s inevitable if you really want some upgrades in the package.
For Tesla, it happens the most “valuable point” of PUP is the control module code. Yes for ICE car most of the ECU codes are so open that you can have someone upgrade it for you after purchase. But Tesla is not, just accept it.
I don't accept it because Elon promised Track Mode for all "P".

Let's not let truth and common sense get in the way of a good story. We can't have that.

Before the first Model 3 Performance was delivered, the decision matrix was already understood by buyers. It was a $5K option to qualify for every possible feature coming to the Model 3.

You didn't take that option, you took your chances.
Don't care about rehashing the past. It was muddled and full of disinformation and guesswork that no one could have made intelligent decisions on. I care about promises made. Elon has to be held to his promises (Track Mode for all "P").

Reactions: Lucky13
You can get the brakes to melt even with the PUP upgrade. Tesla can't stop that. Ultimately the owner is responsible with what they do with it on the track. I don't think Tesla takes responsibility for what happens on the track anyway.

I haven't seen someone completely wear through the PUP brake pads in a single day, but i have definitely seen it with the non-performance ones. Yes you can boil the fluid in both, but that is a more gradual/safe failure than losing all of your pad friction material.

Also the spoiler isn't really bling, it will certainly help rear end stability at high speeds. There is a good bit of rear lift and oversteer on the current car without it.

• Informative
Reactions: Lucky13
The P3D- was and is still called a "performance" model. Other manufacturers BMW, Audi, etc. when they have performance cars they allow at least some disabling of the nannies.

What does what other manufactures allow have to do with anything? If you look at what Tesla does they didn't offer any nannie switches on the performance vehicles, the S&X, that came before the 3. So that should have been your guide.

I think we all have valid points wether for getting track mode or not(sounds eerily familiar to the whole 5k refund thing).

I don't want to blame Tesla that is not my goal. My goal is to get Tesla to follow thru with something they said they would do.

If Telsa can't do it because of hardware limitations just come out and say it.

I have asked the group that was put together for the 5k refund thru pm to see what the interest would be in getting something like this and got no response. But I will give it another shot and see if we can make something happen.

What does what other manufactures allow have to do with anything? If you look at what Tesla does they didn't offer any nannie switches on the performance vehicles, the S&X, that came before the 3. So that should have been your guide.
Guide what? I am talking about what Tesla should do, not playing guessing games about what they might do? This is an argument about the appropriateness of TM on P3D- not reading tea leaves.

• Disagree
Reactions: wenkan
Just curious, for those of you in this thread arguing against P3D- getting TM, why are you even here? This thread was obviously started by someone concerned about Elon breaking another one of his promises. Are you all so stuck up Elon's butt to continue supporting his practice of breaking promises? or you just want to rub salt on our wounds and feel good about your decision of purchasing PUP?

I was expecting a more productive conversation here about how we can get what was promised, not attacking the purchasing decisions of your fellow performance model 3 owners.

I was expecting a more productive conversation here about how we can get what was promised, not attacking the purchasing decisions of your fellow performance model 3 owners.

Thats funny because i'm here trying to explain what i believe to be happening and in no way think you shouldn't get track mode, in fact i wish you did. Instead you are the one disagreeing with my posts for no apparent reason, so don't pretend like people are just attacking you for no reason as you seem a bit hostile yourself.

I stand by my previous posts that they are working on new brake pads. Numerous sources have mentioned they are testing new pads and the fact they don't have the rear ones available as replacements for the PUP car says a lot as well. Check the EPC site if you don't believe me.

Thats funny because i'm here trying to explain what i believe to be happening and in no way think you shouldn't get track mode, in fact i wish you did. Instead you are the one disagreeing with my posts for no apparent reason, so don't pretend like people are just attacking you for no reason as you seem a bit hostile yourself.

I stand by my previous posts that they are working on new brake pads. Numerous sources have mentioned they are testing new pads and the fact they don't have the rear ones available as replacements for the PUP car says a lot as well. Check the EPC site if you don't believe me.
As I've stated before they aren't working on anything. They told me in plain simple English that there are no plans or desire to offer upgrade paths for Stealth models. They consider anyone who purchased the car as having got what they paid for and that's it. It's why I decided to take the refund and move on but they still owe us Track Mode.

Can't we all get along... Lol. Fingers crossed someone at Tesla is reading this and saying we need to bring back the equilibrium to the force and give all track mode.
I hate to be such a sour puss but let's look at this objectively and without emotion. At each point during the P3Ds existence Telsa has failed to communicate and deliver on their marketing hype and promises.

Only when Elon steps in does something happen and anyone that has tried normal channels has been rebuffed and given the run around. So without an Elon intervention theres no evidence to believe anyone at Tesla is reading this nor cares. There is no evidence to suggest Telsa HQ will act in good faith nor is there a history of Tesla acting in good faith towards any customer when these things happen (as mxwings list shows). They have consistently shown the opposite. The only person at Tesla who acts in good faith is Musk, if you can get his attention and sympathy. Organizations like this clearly don't care about how their actions hurt customers. So please everyone stop defending Tesla and justifying their bad behavior.

It's foolish to think Tesla is going to do right by us customers and fix these problems by their own free will and kindness. If any of you can get Elon’s attention long enough to get a fair response from him then please I'm happy to work with you to do that. Anything else is wasted time and energy on a company undeserving of so much praise. If you're truly upset with them about this, and you should be, show them in a way that they will pay attention to. Don't buy another Tesla, stop evangelizong and market their products to your friends and if you're lucky enough to get picked for a customer satisfaction survey tell them the honest and brutal truth.

• Helpful
Reactions: Perry and Lucky13
Even though I made the more responsible and expensive choice to select 3P+.

It's snarky little digs like that that may cause you to get some pushback from others. Who are YOU to determine what is a responsible decision?

If people are financing and overextending as it is, maybe the extra $5000 was the irresponsible decision.

Not everyone is you. Think before you type. :):)

As I've stated before they aren't working on anything. They told me in plain simple English that there are no plans or desire to offer upgrade paths for Stealth models. They consider anyone who purchased the car as having got what they paid for and that's it. It's why I decided to take the refund and move on but they still owe us Track Mode.

You talked to someone at a Service Center. Please just stop acting like you were in on an Elon-led board meeting. In my experience, I have known more about my Tesla products than they have.

Get a better data point, please.

You talked to someone at a Service Center. Please just stop acting like you were in on an Elon-led board meeting. In my experience, I have known more about my Tesla products than they have.

Get a better data point, please.
Actually I worked with an SC manager, a store manager, their regional manager who all ran it up the chain to HQ and back. I also worked with the BBB through an official complaint when that failed. It's not one lowly person as my data point. The only avenue I haven't tried yet is their lawyers via lawsuit.

At some point along the way any of these people could have stepped in and fixed the mistake of communicated more clearly. They didn't and each of their responses were 100% consistent.

• Informative
Reactions: Perry and alloverx
Actually I worked with an SC manager, a store manager, their regional manager who all ran it up the chain to HQ and back. I also worked with the BBB through an official complaint when that failed. It's not one lowly person as my data point. The only avenue I haven't tried yet is their lawyers via lawsuit.

At some point along the way any of these people could have stepped in and fixed the mistake of communicated more clearly. They didn't and each of their responses were 100% consistent.

and it's Tesla. Nothing is dead or alive until Elon says it is, whether publicly or behind the scenes.

If he changes his mind in the next 10 minutes, everything you've dug into is moot.