Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't that exactly what I said? That an Elon intervention is the only way? Try reading my entire post next time.

Sorry, I tend to focus on the preachiness or know-it-all tone most of these posts take.

Someone else in this thread was adamant that the Service Center reps they talked to were the end-all authorities on the subject. Maybe I got you confused with them. Again.....I haven't seen a press release, or a new Elon tweet on the subject, so you "know a guy" that you're claiming is highly placed, but we don't know you, or your source.

we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: caskater47
I don't know what it is about the way you talk but it sure seems to offend me. I did take a gamble but not one that was not well researched. I called telsa numerous times in order to try and get the facts on the upgrade package and got garbage info.

I don't know if speak for others but if you have nothing nice to say or can't be helpful in a way that benefits the community, just bounce. This is directed at you mxwing.

In the end this will come down to Tesla and maybe a handful of people pushing them to make it happen. I for one hope they do it. I intend to track my car at least once a month.

You are free to ignore to me based on your opinion of my tone versus my accuracy and analytical abilities. You won't be the first nor be the last but that's not on my list of top concerns.

My top concern in the realm of TMC is to make well educated decisions on the purchase/usage of the vehicles and get any edge I can on the holding, trading of shares and their derivatives.

Secondly I am happy to share what I know In the duty of information sharing and helping others how I can. I do have a feedback profile that shows some disagree with me but a few that also agree with me. The ones who do disagree with me often fall into the following categories:

1.) Don’t even own a Tesla and dislike being told how it is.
2.) No practical experience with autopilot and dislike being told how it is.
3.) Look at things from their very narrow self centered viewpoint, not grasping the big picture and dislike being told how it is. PUPgate is an example of that.
4.) Usually the same person(s) that throw 50 disagrees because too lazy or unable to debate a topic but motivated enough to click an inverted thumb.
5.) People lacking a sense of humor. ;)

I have no problem with Tesla enabling track made and I hope they do it to make you happy. With the understanding they are not taking time way from other priorities and with the understanding they owe you nothing.

• Funny
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
It's snarky little digs like that that may cause you to get some pushback from others. Who are YOU to determine what is a responsible decision?

If people are financing and overextending as it is, maybe the extra $5000 was the irresponsible decision.

Not everyone is you. Think before you type. :):)

ModelN for NO CONTEXT.

If I was a 3P- buyer, the responsible action is to STHU and be happy with the ill-gotten and undeserved check from bullying Musk over Twitter. This pursuit of "more" is very distasteful. Given a kilometer, you want to take a mile?

Being "clever" and choosing 3P- which many did here backfired. You think you were going to run Nurburgring on the stock tires and brakes? I'd wager you put at least $5,000 in your own work. If that's the case, I would call your "financial argument" ModelN for NULL. The right choice is to get what you want is to buy the 3+ package and part out whatever Tesla gave you. You get Track Mode and you get to cover your own ass when something happens deviating from the OEM setup.

I qualified for FUSC by placing an order on time. I would have qualified for FUSC a second time if I could have referred myself. Not referring myself, also cost me referral tiers.

Until reading this thread, I didn't even know Tesla gave the $5k refund to non-PUP buyers. It makes sense if Tesla wasn't planning to offer Track Mode to that configuration. I have no dog in this fight as a P3D w/PUP owner (I really wish the +/- or "stealth" label hadn't been adopted, but whatever). It's just surprising that someone who bought a car is now surprised that a subsequent feature from that manufacturer is not being offered to those buyers. I mean, it would be nice. But expected?

I still think it's more ridiculous that all of us who bought the P before September 24th had our FUSC fully taken away. In the end, Tesla didn't actually "reward" anyone for buying the car at the beginning. That's fine, but it's not nothing. I guess no more surprising than those who didn't take the $5k refund and kept FUSC. That's just poor financial decision-making.

The stock brakes on P3D- can't handle how track mode uses the brakes aggressively as a differential, even the P3D+ barely can and the PUP brake pads are way better than the regular ones. I definitely see what you're saying about upgrading brakes on your own and saving the $5K for the PUP, i almost did the same - but Tesla can't give out Track Mode and then hope people will upgrade their brakes before using, someone out there won't do it and then Tesla gets in trouble when their brakes melt.

^^^^^

This!!!

ModelN for NO CONTEXT.

If I was a 3P- buyer, the responsible action is to STHU and be happy with the ill-gotten and undeserved check from bullying Musk over Twitter. This pursuit of "more" is very distasteful. Given a kilometer, you want to take a mile?

Being "clever" and choosing 3P- which many did here backfired. You think you were going to run Nurburgring on the stock tires and brakes? I'd wager you put at least $5,000 in your own work. If that's the case, I would call your "financial argument" ModelN for NULL. The right choice is to get what you want is to buy the 3+ package and part out whatever Tesla gave you. You get Track Mode and you get to cover your own ass when something happens deviating from the OEM setup.

I qualified for FUSC by placing an order on time. I would have qualified for FUSC a second time if I could have referred myself. Not referring myself, also cost me referral tiers.

You don't win arguments against your spouse often, do you?

:D

Reactions: Perry
The stock brakes on P3D- can't handle how track mode uses the brakes aggressively as a differential, even the P3D+ barely can and the PUP brake pads are way better than the regular ones. I definitely see what you're saying about upgrading brakes on your own and saving the $5K for the PUP, i almost did the same - but Tesla can't give out Track Mode and then hope people will upgrade their brakes before using, someone out there won't do it and then Tesla gets in trouble when their brakes melt.
^^^^^

This!!!

I disagree Tesla has an responsibility for my behavior on an off-road course because the variables are impossible to control, including the nut behind the wheel

If you're just enjoying a light couple laps the upgraded Tesla brake setup is probably fine. But as others have said, if you really want to push it you need brakes that will really keep their cool and pads to match and tires too unless you want to leave chunks of rubber on the track

I'm not an automotive engineer (but I know some :) ) so trash away but, as others said, most of what's going on in the Tesla track mode is software. When we would race our dumb cars in different conditions, we could change tires, tweak suspension settings, etc but the rest of what happened was the responsibility of the squishy stuff between our ears.

Track mode already has to deal with brand new vs nearly scrubbed tires, brake pads at various depths of wear etc not to mention all kinds of track surface conditions. Tires wear, people inflate them differently, track surface temps are all over the place (potentially) and it could even be wet out there.

Offering increased cooling, adjusted regen should have nothing to do with the above (same old tire slip monitoring). Calming the nannies ditto. Deciding to turn off special-magic-drift mode because of an assumption about the condition/capability of my rear brakes and tires makes zero software sense given some hopefully wide range of compensation for wear, conditions, etc..

Ok continue the 'debate'

I disagree Tesla has an responsibility for my behavior on an off-road course because the variables are impossible to control, including the nut behind the wheel

If you're just enjoying a light couple laps the upgraded Tesla brake setup is probably fine. But as others have said, if you really want to push it you need brakes that will really keep their cool and pads to match and tires too unless you want to leave chunks of rubber on the track

I'm not an automotive engineer (but I know some :) ) so trash away but, as others said, most of what's going on in the Tesla track mode is software. When we would race our dumb cars in different conditions, we could change tires, tweak suspension settings, etc but the rest of what happened was the responsibility of the squishy stuff between our ears.

Track mode already has to deal with brand new vs nearly scrubbed tires, brake pads at various depths of wear etc not to mention all kinds of track surface conditions. Tires wear, people inflate them differently, track surface temps are all over the place (potentially) and it could even be wet out there.

Offering increased cooling, adjusted regen should have nothing to do with the above (same old tire slip monitoring). Calming the nannies ditto. Deciding to turn off special-magic-drift mode because of an assumption about the condition/capability of my rear brakes and tires makes zero software sense given some hopefully wide range of compensation for wear, conditions, etc..

Ok continue the 'debate'

Exactly. Track Mode is not a dynamic AI beast. If you take your P3D+ to track days all summer long, the car isn't going to know anything about those previous thrashings, and therefore, won't be making any informed decisions about your tires, suspension, brakes, etc. Same goes for a P3D-. The car won't know if you've upgraded brakes or not, won't know about your tire situation, etc.

All it will do is turn off nannie mode, cool your battery, and torque vector using the increased regen once you get out there.

If I want to do AutoCrosss in my P3D- (NOT LAGUNA SECA...NOT 24 HOURS AT LE MANS....AutoCross...swerving through cones on an abandoned airstrip), I hardly think giving me a slighly nerf'd Track Mode is going to hurt anyone's feelings.

The main component? I have it in my car....the performance drivetrain.

EDIT: I left out one other fun thing Track Mode would be used for.......

EPIC SNOW DONUTS!!!! I apologize for the earlier omission.

Instead you are the one disagreeing with my posts for no apparent reason, so don't pretend like people are just attacking you for no reason as you seem a bit hostile yourself.

I stand by my previous posts that they are working on new brake pads. Numerous sources have mentioned they are testing new pads and the fact they don't have the rear ones available as replacements for the PUP car says a lot as well. Check the EPC site if you don't believe me.
My comments where not directed at you. I disagreed that they are working on new hardware not that you didn't want TM for P3D-. I don't believe TM requires any new hardware. It is just about turning it on.

Reactions: Msjulie
Yea but why should I pay extra for stuff I am going to remove?

Because it's a requirement to get the track mode software you desire?

The problem I have is with the argument that if I wanted to track the car why didn't I get the PUP. And my answer is I didn't get the PUP exactly because I wanted to track the car so I decided to apply my 5K to track parts rather than poser bling.

To clarify, it's posers WITH TRACK MODE. It comes as a package. It is what it is. Whether you throw the Tesla "bling" in the trash or not, or sell it, or trade it, completely irrelevant. Every track mode video showed a Model 3 with those exact rims wheels, calipers, etc. What would allow you to ASSUME that Tesla would enable the same feature for those with tires and wheels installed on $35K Model 3s?

I don't accept it because Elon promised Track Mode for all "P".

How many unfulfilled "Pony Promises" have been made to disappointed daughters through the history of time? Where is coast to coast FSD? Not everything works out as planned. Especially Musk doesn't check with anyone else before he makes tweets.

My comments where not directed at you. I disagreed that they are working on new hardware not that you didn't want TM for P3D-. I don't believe TM requires any new hardware. It is just about turning it on.

Turn it on for hardware that is installed for $35K cars?

• Disagree
Reactions: Perry and MP3Mike
Because it's a requirement to get the track mode software you desire?

To clarify, it's posers WITH TRACK MODE. It comes as a package. It is what it is. Whether you throw the Tesla "bling" in the trash or not, or sell it, or trade it, completely irrelevant. Every track mode video showed a Model 3 with those exact rims wheels, calipers, etc. What would allow you to ASSUME that Tesla would enable the same feature for those with tires and wheels installed on $35K Model 3s?

How many unfulfilled "Pony Promises" have been made to disappointed daughters through the history of time? Where is coast to coast FSD? Not everything works out as planned. Especially Musk doesn't check with anyone else before he makes tweets.

Turn it on for hardware that is installed for $35K cars?

You REALLY come off as smarmy and unlikable.

I have no problem with Tesla enabling track made and I hope they do it to make you happy. With the understanding they are not taking time way from other priorities ...
Then its never going to happen because there will always be other priorities. Right now "dog mode" has been announced and seems to be a priority. Do you think "dog mode" should be done first before "performance" cars should get TM?

I think owners who have supported Tesla by buying their most expensive cars should be made whole first before "dog mode".

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You REALLY come off as smarmy and unlikable.

I was confused as to who you were talking about, but it all makes sense after I checked my block list.

To the other points, TM was promised by Elon for all Performance Model 3s, its simple. Either communicate a new time frame, or that there is some issue with releasing it. Don't leave people in the dark, it just gets people riled up.

Until i see official communication from Elon or Tesla I wont believe anything an individual service center, or manager says. Those folks don't make policy. The only undeleted tweet about this still says that "We are working on an aftermarket package to enable track mode..."

Looks like plans around track mode are changing, and until we get an official response, its all just guessing and arguing lol.

I was confused as to who you were talking about, but it all makes sense after I checked my block list.

To the other points, TM was promised by Elon for all Performance Model 3s, its simple. Either communicate a new time frame, or that there is some issue with releasing it. Don't leave people in the dark, it just gets people riled up.

Until i see official communication from Elon or Tesla I wont believe anything an individual service center, or manager says. Those folks don't make policy. The only undeleted tweet about this still says that "We are working on an aftermarket package to enable track mode..."

Looks like plans around track mode are changing, and until we get an official response, its all just guessing and arguing lol.

I don't think I've ever seen someone so resistant to seeing others happy.

It's not as if Tesla would take away Track Mode from the + cars to give it to the - cars.

For some people, it's better to be right than to be liked. (and it REALLY hurts feelings when they end up being wrong, and also unliked)

ill-gotten and undeserved check from bullying Musk over Twitter. This pursuit of "more" is very distasteful. Given a kilometer, you want to take a mile?
This is the kind of crap I am talking about. The 5K was a trade for FUSC. It was neither ill-gotten or undeserved. It was exactly what Elon said FUSC was worth. Are you now questioning Elon's value on things?
Being "clever" and choosing 3P- which many did here backfired.
You pompous buffoon. No one was trying to be clever about anything. We made the best decision we could with the limited info at the time. Was planning to get better parts than the mediocre parts Tesla offered in their 5K package so it was logical decision at the time. Besides that argument is over now. Elon disagrees with you and admitted that the fair thing is to give TM to P3D- because the price of cars getting TM now is the same as the P3D-. So his promise to deliver on that, IS definitely something that is now owed.
You think you were going to run Nurburgring on the stock tires and brakes?
No, I was going to Laguna Seca with better after market wheels, tires, suspension, and brakes than the mediocre 5K package Tesla offered.

Last edited:
This is the kind of crap I am talking about. The 5K was a trade for FUSC. It was neither ill-gotten or undeserved. It was exactly what Elon said FUSC was worth. Are you now questioning Elon's value on things?

You pompous buffoon. No one was trying to be clever about anything. We made the best decision we could with the limited info at the time. Was planning to get better parts than the mediocre parts Tesla offered in their 5K package so it was logical decision at the time. Besides that argument is over now. Elon disagrees with you and admitted that the fair thing is to give TM to P3D- because the price of cars getting TM now is the same as the P3D-. So his promise to deliver on that IS definitely something that is now owed.

No, I was going to Laguna Seca with better after market wheels, tires, suspension, and brakes than the mediocre 5K package Tesla offered.

What's hilarious about his Nurburgring comment is that they HAVE a "run what you brung" track day there ALL THE TIME.

Drive the Nürburgring - Track Days » RSRNurburg

Sorry, purist....people can run anything they damn well please on that track if it passes safety and they pay.

:D