Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just surprising that someone who bought a car is now surprised that a subsequent feature from that manufacturer is not being offered to those buyers. I mean, it would be nice. But expected?
Why is this so hard to understand?! Its expected because it was promised. Had it not been promised it would not be expected.
I still think it's more ridiculous that all of us who bought the P before September 24th had our FUSC fully taken away.
How was it taken away? You either kept it or got 5K back trade for it.

I disagree Tesla has an responsibility for my behavior on an off-road course because the variables are impossible to control, including the nut behind the wheel

If you're just enjoying a light couple laps the upgraded Tesla brake setup is probably fine. But as others have said, if you really want to push it you need brakes that will really keep their cool and pads to match and tires too unless you want to leave chunks of rubber on the track

I'm not an automotive engineer (but I know some :) ) so trash away but, as others said, most of what's going on in the Tesla track mode is software. When we would race our dumb cars in different conditions, we could change tires, tweak suspension settings, etc but the rest of what happened was the responsibility of the squishy stuff between our ears.

Track mode already has to deal with brand new vs nearly scrubbed tires, brake pads at various depths of wear etc not to mention all kinds of track surface conditions. Tires wear, people inflate them differently, track surface temps are all over the place (potentially) and it could even be wet out there.

Offering increased cooling, adjusted regen should have nothing to do with the above (same old tire slip monitoring). Calming the nannies ditto. Deciding to turn off special-magic-drift mode because of an assumption about the condition/capability of my rear brakes and tires makes zero software sense given some hopefully wide range of compensation for wear, conditions, etc..

Ok continue the 'debate'
Bravo! Finally someone who understands how this kind of software works.

You don't win arguments against your spouse often, do you?

:D

You REALLY come off as smarmy and unlikable.

It probably should be featured on Snopes and Mythbusters as it may surprise you that I've only been married once (and still married).

It takes a person who can cut right through BS, laughs at people who tries to justify their BS and cares about truth over feelings to appreciate certain aspects of my personality. :D

Smarmy = maybe
Unlikable = maybe
Wrong = No
Right = Yes

Then its never going to happen because there will always be other priorities. Right now "dog mode" has been announced and seems to be a priority. Do you think "dog mode" should be done first before "performance" cars should get TM?

I think owners who have supported Tesla by buying their most expensive cars should be made whole first before "dog mode".

Dog mode has a high love/retweet factor/Work effort. Much higher than track mode for the 2000 cars (possibly less?) with 3P-?

3P- while expensive to the general populace isn't as expensive as buying a Model S where
-This week has no parking sensors, next week does.
-This week has no facelift, next week does.
-This week has no AP, next week has AP1.
-This week has AP1, next week has AP2.

None of those people who have had their cars devalued by TENS of thousands has said anything compared to spoiled Model 3 "first adopter" owners.

Bravo! Finally someone who understands how this kind of software works.

Why doesn't Tesla just enable a "check box" to push it to 3P-. Would shut a lot of people up. Seems worth it to me?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Smarmy = maybe
Unlikable = maybe
Wrong = No
Right = Yes

I already proved you wrong about the Nurburgring, and then you followed it up by saying you weren't wrong. Not Hall of Fame numbers.

Also, "truth over feelings" types have a very limited social circle these days. Are you sure a Tesla is right for you? Shouldn't you be in a good, god-fearing, coal-burning, 'Merican pickup truck, by god?

None of those people who have had their cars devalued by TENS of thousands has said anything compared to spoiled Model 3 "first adopter" owners.

You realize there's a search function on this website, right? I've already proven that your feelings didn't line up with the facts once today....some of us can use SEO pretty adeptly. Shall I? Or will you just cop out to admitting you were perhaps mistaken about being wrong?

This is the kind of crap I am talking about. The 5K was a trade for FUSC. It was neither ill-gotten or undeserved. It was exactly what Elon said FUSC was worth. Are you now questioning Elon's value on things?

Yes, and I did.

Dq5VFHgUwAIH7IV.jpg:large

You pompous buffoon. No one was trying to be clever about anything. We made the best decision we could with the limited info at the time. Was planning to get better parts than the mediocre parts Tesla offered in their 5K package so it was logical decision at the time. Besides that argument is over now. Elon disagrees with you and admitted that the fair thing is to give TM to P3D- because the price of cars getting TM now is the same as the P3D-. So his promise to deliver on that IS definitely something that is now owed.

We all had access to the same info. I was not the only one who broke things down in the manner prescribed. Considering I've been building PCs since the age of 12, the concept of upgrade/swaps is intuitive to me. I TOO dislike the 20 inch Summer tires that came with the 3P+. You'll find posts from me in July of 2018, figuring out what I could use to replace them, occurring additional costs above and beyond the 5K package.

Your poor planning and risk taking is now Elon's emergency and TSLA bailout. Your decision was not the best obviously. The best decision for getting track mode was the PUP package.

Elon said one thing, but Tesla feels something else. Do you see retroactive checks being written to every S and X owner the moment a production change is made?

No, I was going to Laguna Seca with better after market wheels, tires, suspension, and brakes than the mediocre 5K package Tesla offered.

You could have parted out the 5K package items if you felt they were mediocre. Same concept as buying a computer, replacing the video card and selling the one that came with the machine?

What's hilarious about his Nurburgring comment is that they HAVE a "run what you brung" track day there ALL THE TIME.

This is exactly why memes are made.

"Would spend $5,000 to export a Model 3 to Germany to prove you can track on economy tires".

"Says $5,000 for Premium Upgrade Package" is financially out of reach.

Last edited:
I already proved you wrong about the Nurburgring, and then you followed it up by saying you weren't wrong. Not Hall of Fame numbers.

Also, "truth over feelings" types have a very limited social circle these days. Are you sure a Tesla is right for you? Shouldn't you be in a good, god-fearing, coal-burning, 'Merican pickup truck, by god?

I bat easily over .366 so yes, Hall of Fame numbers. First ballot even. Learn to analogy better.

Do they make practical electric pickup trucks? Coal had and still does have a purpose you know. Funny you can lambaste me for saying to spend $5,000 to guarantee track mode but look down on everyone who who can't spend $80,000 on an electric pickup (that doesn't exist yet anyway). 120kW battery pack is probably the minimum Tesla wants to start with.

You realize there's a search function on this website, right? I've already proven that your feelings didn't line up with the facts once today....some of us can use SEO pretty adeptly. Shall I? Or will you just cop out to admitting you were perhaps mistaken about being wrong?

I actually have no problem on owning to anything I am wrong when it happens.
Though I didn't say they WOULDN'T let you on the track, people just don't track with garbage equipment for all intents and purposes. Even if you dislike it, the Tesla spec track cars are sufficient. Even @Perry said he would have replaced the hardware which proves my point. While he doesn't want to deal with offloading the Tesla factory parts, that would have been the better battle to fight versus trying to get Tesla to push it down now. Your attempts at reaching is pretty weak.

SEO? What does the practice of optimizing content organically ranking high for search terms have anything to do with me being right or wrong?

Are you a Boomer? I am somewhat amused that a very technical term is thrown around so callously by someone who has no idea what that is.

I bat easily over .366 so yes, Hall of Fame numbers. First ballot even. Learn to analogy better.

Do they make practical electric pickup trucks? Coal had and still does have a purpose you know. Funny you can lambaste me for saying to spend $5,000 to guarantee track mode but look down on everyone who who can't spend $80,000 on an electric pickup (that doesn't exist yet anyway). 120kW battery pack is probably the minimum Tesla wants to start with.

I actually have no problem on owning to anything I am wrong when it happens.
Though I didn't say they WOULDN'T let you on the track, people just don't track with garbage equipment for all intents and purposes. Even if you dislike it, the Tesla spec track cars are sufficient. Even @Perry said he would have replaced the hardware which proves my point. While he doesn't want to deal with offloading the Tesla factory parts, that would have been the better battle to fight versus trying to get Tesla to push it down now. Your attempts at reaching is pretty weak.

SEO? What does the practice of optimizing content organically ranking high for search terms have anything to do with me being right or wrong?

Are you a Boomer? I am somewhat amused that a very technical term is thrown around so callously by someone who has no idea what that is.

I'm blocking you now. I can only hope your wife gets the Tesla in the divorce. Some people need life to smack them in the face, since they don't have a friend who will do it.

"Would spend $5,000 to export a Model 3 to Germany to prove you can track on economy tires".

"Says $5,000 for Premium Upgrade Package" is financially out of reach.
As has been discussed at great length on this forum many people didn't feel the PUP was a good value. Regardless of whether you chose to buy the package or not Tesla marketed and sold a product specifically targeting the enthusiast/competitive market. Any prospective buyer coming from Audi, BMW, Porsche et al is well within reason to expect that a Performance car is going to have Performance parts and special driving modes exclusive to the trim regardless of what additional packages may be sold. It's how the market works and has worked for decades.

Whats unreasonable is the expectation that a buyer should be reading through all these forums to understand minute details about their buying decision. Tesla reps and sales people should be knowledgeable and well informed enough to help buyers make such a decision.

Reactions: Perry
Its the same as the 5k issue, left hand doesn't talk to the right hand or know what they are doing. One rep says yes, other rep says no.
I estimated within 4 months of the initial tweet from Elon. That gives them till April-May to release TM for all the Performance cars.

I wouldnt be surprised if the reason it is taking so long is that it will include many other features (regen customization, drift mode, custom torque bias ect) and possibly will even be extended to AWD and RWD cars at the same time.

Makes sense if they are going to release a new version they polish it and make it have additional features, besides just including the smaller brake P3D-

I'm hopeful, and it looks like its coming, just our expectations of the development speed don't always align with the software design teams.

Reactions: Perry
Its the same as the 5k issue, left hand doesn't talk to the right hand or know what they are doing. One rep says yes, other rep says no.
I estimated within 4 months of the initial tweet from Elon. That gives them till April-May to release TM for all the Performance cars.

I wouldnt be surprised if the reason it is taking so long is that it will include many other features (regen customization, drift mode, custom torque bias ect) and possibly will even be extended to AWD and RWD cars at the same time.

Makes sense if they are going to release a new version they polish it and make it have additional features, besides just including the smaller brake P3D-

I'm hopeful, and it looks like its coming, just our expectations of the development speed don't always align with the software design teams.

actually, and I may have interpreted it wrong, but I read it as: the update is ready, but they're going to package it in with the next point release, so one day soon, you'll get either the update with folding mirrors and blindspot warning, or sentry mode+dog mode, AND track mode embedded.

but I'm sure we could now spend another 8 pages breaking down the wording of that email.

actually, and I may have interpreted it wrong, but I read it as: the update is ready, but they're going to package it in with the next point release, so one day soon, you'll get either the update with folding mirrors and blindspot warning, or sentry mode+dog mode, AND track mode embedded.

but I'm sure we could now spend another 8 pages breaking down the wording of that email.
I’ll start. “The remaining few that haven’t had it downloaded”? That, to me, would imply they are talking about PUP as I haven’t seen any no -PUP report they have it.

I’ll start. “The remaining few that haven’t had it downloaded”? That, to me, would imply they are talking about PUP as I haven’t seen any no -PUP report they have it.

I was clear in my query which version I have, and the support said "all", and not "all with PUP". Again, we could fill another 8 pages.

EDIT: I would think all of the PUP cars have it by now....? maybe? if so, then the "remaining handful" would be P3D- owners.

Reactions: whatthe2
OH HEY.......look at THIS...........

I put in a question through my MyTesla page this weekend, and I just received the following reply:

(I'll unblock my good friend @MXWing for his reply)

View attachment 376346

That’s great. I have no problem if Tesla can just check a box just to make people happy.

Getting something out of grace is different than being entitled to it however. That has not changed the material facts that TM was only demonstrated on PUP vehicles. Bullying a good natured person like Elon into submission who owed you nothing is a victory I guess?

I hope Musk is not so fast and loose going forward on making Twitter promises.

I have a long list of things people who could potentially claim a grevience on but they don’t.

Last edited:
That’s great. I have no problem if Tesla can just check a box just to make people happy.

Getting something out of grace is different than being entitled to it however. That has not changed.

I hope Musk is not so fast and loose going forward on making Twitter promises.

dysthymic disorder is no laughing matter, sir. please, if it affects you, speak to a professional.

Getting back on “track” as the boomer vs Xennial discussion is very off topic.

Here is the issue I see with the email. It does not acknowledge that there are two variations of the performance Model 3.

My best guess and reasoning is that the customer service rep assumes OP owns a 3P+ and it’s a matter of time before the firmware arrives to the 3P+ that enables track.

8 page discussion not needed. Until a 3P- gets track mode either in production or beta or if Tesla/Elon addresss the 3P- specifically, I would assume status quo.

@ModelNforNerd - I do not think your rep read your email comprehensively and appreciating the nuances. If she or he did, the reply SHOULD have taken the care to point out that yes ALL means 3P+ and 3P-.

3P- doesn’t exist anymore so I would not assume it is treated as a performance car.

We assume too much prior knowledge, training and enthusiasm from front line Tesla employees.

Last edited:
Getting back on “track” as the boomer vs Xennial discussion is very off topic.

Here is the issue I see with the email. It does not acknowledge that there are two variations of the performance Model 3.

My best guess and reasoning is that the customer service rep assumes OP owns a 3P+ and it’s a matter of time before the firmware arrives to the 3P+ that enables track.

8 page discussion not needed. Until a 3P- gets track mode either in production or beta or if Tesla/Elon addresss the 3P- specifically, I would assume status quo.

Trazadone can do wonders for you, buddy. I'm really pulling for a happy outcome. Good luck.

As has been discussed at great length on this forum many people didn't feel the PUP was a good value. Regardless of whether you chose to buy the package or not Tesla marketed and sold a product specifically targeting the enthusiast/competitive market. Any prospective buyer coming from Audi, BMW, Porsche et al is well within reason to expect that a Performance car is going to have Performance parts and special driving modes exclusive to the trim regardless of what additional packages may be sold. It's how the market works and has worked for decades.

Whats unreasonable is the expectation that a buyer should be reading through all these forums to understand minute details about their buying decision. Tesla reps and sales people should be knowledgeable and well informed enough to help buyers make such a decision.

I did not think PUP was a good value either. 20 inch wheels and tires are heavy. Will be expensive to replace and I will have problems if I want to drive to the snow in them.

I was already looking for replacements but have waited to see how the 19 Inch Chinese wheels do, and what the forged reward wheels are going to be about. Also, more time for 3rd party to come up with other packages.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment and issues you brought up. 3P- should have been called AWD+ and 3P+ should have had a bullet point that stated

• Future software features exclusive to Model 3 Performance cars. OR
  • Future software features exclusive to Model 3 Performance cars with premium upgrade package.

What makes things really cloudy is our MVPA doesn't promise TM on any version of the Model 3.

There must be reasons why Tesla doesn't

1.) Just push the software out to all 3P- cars and call it a day.
2.) Charge $7,000 to retrofit 3P- to 3P+. (3P- got free 18 inch wheels and aeros that 3P+ buyers did not).

In a hypothetical board meeting, I am sure this was brought up. Somehow (to the best of our current knowledge anyway), it was not deemed practical?

So it seemed very easy for Elon to go, here's $5K for everyone. Go away.

Reactions: caskater47