Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wk057;1235854 Why does it seem like Tesla just wants to screw up the Model X sometimes?[/QUOTE said:
Yes why is that? What next? I bought this car with plans to use it for traveling. But there aren't SuperChargers everywhere and this 48Amp doesn't cut it unless there is an upgrade option. I finally got a call from my DS today, after sending an email about this. He understands the issue but all he can do is send it up the ladder.

It's just so not cool that it's that low. I mean really. A full 90kW charge is going to take about 9 hours or so. That's just not going to work for a lot of people.

I agree. One of Tesla's big selling points was the HPWC with Twin Chargers. They made it almost as important on the "Charging" page as Supercharging. I have at least 3 MX reservation holder friends that are upset about this. One of them already ran a 100A circuit into the garage of the house they just built. I'm supposed to go over and install their HPWC for them later this month. They aren't happy with the possibility of only being able to charge at 48A.

Chargers, second row seats, shorter range, no spare tire (again), delays, lack of specs, and unknown cooling system capacity (for towing). Did I miss anything?
I am not an X reservation holder. I do think the car looks great and I love the Falcon Wings. But I agree that the much lower AC charging rate is a negative. I have Dual Chargers in my S and an 80A HPWC in my garage. I think it's worth it. Over time more and more higher amp HPWC destination chargers will become available in the US.
I expected the shorter range of the X, and never anticipated it would have a spare (many current high end cars do not). The full specs will come, eventually, and production will ramp up. But I think Tesla needs to at least offer 72A charging as an option. If the Founders cars can have that, everyone should have it available to choose if they wish.
But really the X should have an 80A charging option.

I am not an X reservation holder. I do think the car looks great and I love the Falcon Wings. But I agree that the much lower AC charging rate is a negative. I have Dual Chargers in my S and an 80A HPWC in my garage. I think it's worth it. Over time more and more higher amp HPWC destination chargers will become available in the US.
I expected the shorter range of the X, and never anticipated it would have a spare (many current high end cars do not). The full specs will come, eventually, and production will ramp up. But I think Tesla needs to at least offer 72A charging as an option. If the Founders cars can have that, everyone should have it available to choose if they wish.
But really the X should have an 80A charging option.

I totally agree. This is a continuation of a flawed policy that Tesla set earlier this year when they removed the option to order Model Ss with dual chargers from the factory. By not offering an option that has on-board charging capacity that is near the capacity of an HPWC Tesla has essentially undermined the future usefulness of their Destination Charging Program. As others have pointed out eliminating the option in the ordering process means that most typical buyers of both the Model S and X won't know that most destination charging locations with HPWCs will charge at about twice the rate of their car.

This situation, coupled with the failure to educate prospective owners of the value of high capacity charging at destinations continues to undermine the value of the Destination Charging Program. It will lead to disappointed owners later when they belatedly learn that their cars can't fully benefit from the full capacity installed at most destinations equipped with HPWCs. As production ramps up the situation will worsen as increasing numbers of Teslas with limited on-board charging capacity compete for a few HPWCs at each destination.

In March Elon stated that the long-term plan is to have 10 times the destination chargers as Superchargers. It will be one of Tesla's biggest missteps if the vast majority of Teslas can't use the installed capacity, especially when the number of Teslas on the road increases by more than an order of magnitude.

Larry

If the Founders cars can have that, everyone should have it available to choose if they wish.

This is why I'm falling into the "technical problems with the 72A charger" camp. I can imagine a few serious reasons for removing a 72A charging option/standard - cost restrictive, supplier constrained, or technical issues. I think the final option is the most likely to cause them to pull it.

This is why I'm falling into the "technical problems with the 72A charger" camp. I can imagine a few serious reasons for removing a 72A charging option/standard - cost restrictive, supplier constrained, or technical issues. I think the final option is the most likely to cause them to pull it.

I think it's almost certain you're correct. My concern is that when Tesla works out the kinds in the 72A charger, and I believe they will, there's going to be some reason why the Signature vehicles can't or won't get upgraded. I was really hopeful that Sig Model X wasn't going to like Sig Model S; not fully baked. I really wanted to believe what Tesla's told Bonnie about the Sig cars being complete and not compromised.

I guess I'm just feeling fatalistic about it seeing as how we're half way through November and we've not yet seen a single Sig delivery and specs are continuing to change.

I think it's almost certain you're correct. My concern is that when Tesla works out the kinds in the 72A charger, and I believe they will, there's going to be some reason why the Signature vehicles can't or won't get upgraded. I was really hopeful that Sig Model X wasn't going to like Sig Model S; not fully baked. I really wanted to believe what Tesla's told Bonnie about the Sig cars being complete and not compromised.
I thought I'd remembered that Tesla told bonnie this very thing. Thought she even got it in writing. I went looking for the posts where she talked about it but couldn't find them. Not sure which thread they were in. Maybe the big Mule thread.

Well if this isn't a perfect example of how little people understand how these cars charge. Here we have an S owner that thinks just because their HPWC CAN deliver 80amps they will need to install another circuit to charge the X which can only accept 48amps.

My apologies for singling you out. It was just a very timely post.

This is a major failure of the front line sales staff at Tesla stores. Seriously.
it would appear your the one that doesn't understand. On a day when car driven 150 miles, no one will want to go back out with less than 100 miles (or I should say I wouldn't). My model S with only 4 mile loss in range after 40,000 miles and 32 months. I believe it's because I don't deep discharge. Only 4 occasions I let battery go below 50 mile range. After dropping range by 150 miles car can be completely recharged in two hrs with 80 amp HPWC. Yes they claim car charges at 60 miles/hr with 80 amp but I get 68 miles/ hr

Whether there are technical issues, supplier issues, or cost issues, don't sent an email from marketing telling buyers why 48A is sufficient when we and they both know better. This could be the EV equivalent of New Coke. If I recall, that product was based on surveys too.

Whether there are technical issues, supplier issues, or cost issues, don't sent an email from marketing telling buyers why 48A is sufficient when we and they both know better. This could be the EV equivalent of New Coke. If I recall, that product was based on surveys too.

Nope, just checked. Tesla hasn't hired Sergio Zyman, the "New Coke" guy. ;-) I think he's still at JCPenny.

So I've skimmed through this thread and I can't seem to figure out what the consensus is on this issue. My understanding is that if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet you are limited to 48A (by the outlet). But if you have a higher current outlet, like with a 100A HPWC, the MX will accept up to 72A. How is this different from a MS, other than doing 80A with dual chargers on a HPWC?

It's in the infamous Delay thread started by Eds. I have no desire to revisit that nightmare, especially given that we appear to be living it out. :/

One thing Eds claimed was that initial Model X deliveries would ship with "lesser" components than future Model X.

If most Model X are receiving 48 amp chargers rather than the 72 amp units seen at the reveal event, maybe some of what Eds said was true. Maybe that's why Tesla's lawyers wanted to kill his account.

So I've skimmed through this thread and I can't seem to figure out what the consensus is on this issue. My understanding is that if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet you are limited to 48A (by the outlet). But if you have a higher current outlet, like with a 100A HPWC, the MX will accept up to 72A. How is this different from a MS, other than doing 80A with dual chargers on a HPWC?

If you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet, you are limited to 40A (by the outlet) since this is continuous use (over 3 hours), not 48A. If you have a 100A HPWC, you are limited to 80A (by the HPWC).

With a Model X, Founders are limited to 72A and thus far, Signature holders will be limited to 48A.

Meanwhile, with a Model S, you are limited to 40A by default and 80A if you opted for dual chargers.

No. A UMC plugged into a 14-50 outlet will get you a maximum of 40A. If the MX only has a 48A onboard charger, it will only charge at 40A this way.

Now, if you have a HPWC connected to a 100A circuit, you could charge at the full 48A OR 72A. The Founders MXs appear to have 72A charging capable, but anything beyond them may or may not have only a 48A. That's the thing people are upset about.

What makes people think that that Signature cars will be limited to 48A? The messages that FlasherZ posted seemed to indicate that you can charge to 72A with a HPWC.

In the original specs, this was the case, when the car had the 72A charger.

However, now the car carries only a 48A charger. With an HPWC - regardless of how you provision it circuit-wise - this is the maximum you will see for Model X. You will not be able to charge Model X at 72A from anything other than a supercharger.