Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update reduced the standard charge on my P 85 from 242 to 212 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85 and I used to get 242 miles after a standard charge. Now after the 4.5 (1.33.44) update if I slide the scale to the indentation where "Daily" ends and "Trip" starts I only get 212 miles of charge. I understand that charging up to the indentation between where Daily ends and Trip starts is same as the previous "Standard" charge. I do not have any percentage indication unlike some folks who have been posting about the 4.5 update. I just returned from the San Rafael service department and Matt there had no idea about this. I then called Tesla directly and the lady who answered could not help me. So, who are we supposed to turn to for these ongoing problems. It seems like every update is a step forward and two back. I had a problem with 4.4 update too and my car was sitting in the San Rafael service department for a week while I was driving an Enterprise rental. So far I have had to take my car into Fremont and San Rafael service departments 6 different times for various issues since we took delivery last November. They were able to fix most of the problems but many updates to the car remain unresolved and now with every over the air update new issues crop up. I know posting on these threads about any problems brings the wrath of TSLA stockholders and EV fanatics who are going to point to ICE cars with problems. On the other hand I for one have never had so many problems with any make of car let alone one costing over a hundred grand. Elon wants the owners of present Model S to be goodwill ambassadors for Tesla and sell these Teslas to our friends and neighbors but on the other hand he has admitted that "service is not up to par". They need to do something soon or once the word starts spreading about the unreliability and poor service at Tesla, it will cause irreparable damage to the brand in the long run. I know many are going to jump up and say that they have not had any issues or problems but there are many of us who have. Tesla needs to be more responsive to those of us who have problems with their cars.

I have a P85 and I used to get 242 miles after a standard charge. Now after the 4.5 (1.33.44) update if I slide the scale to the indentation where "Daily" ends and "Trip" starts I only get 212 miles of charge. I understand that charging up to the indentation between where Daily ends and Trip starts is same as the previous "Standard" charge. I do not have any percentage indication unlike some folks who have been posting about the 4.5 update. I just returned from the San Rafael service department and Matt there had no idea about this. I then called Tesla directly and the lady who answered could not help me. So, who are we supposed to turn to for these ongoing problems. It seems like every update is a step forward and two back. I had a problem with 4.4 update too and my car was sitting in the San Rafael service department for a week while I was driving an Enterprise rental. So far I have had to take my car into Fremont and San Rafael service departments 6 different times for various issues since we took delivery last November. They were able to fix most of the problems but many updates to the car remain unresolved and now with every over the air update new issues crop up. I know posting on these threads about any problems brings the wrath of TSLA stockholders and EV fanatics who are going to point to ICE cars with problems. On the other hand I for one have never had so many problems with any make of car let alone one costing over a hundred grand. Elon wants the owners of present Model S to be goodwill ambassadors for Tesla and sell these Teslas to our friends and neighbors but on the other hand he has admitted that "service is not up to par". They need to do something soon or once the word starts spreading about the unreliability and poor service at Tesla, it will cause irreparable damage to the brand in the long run. I know many are going to jump up and say that they have not had any issues or problems but there are many of us who have. Tesla needs to be more responsive to those of us who have problems with their cars.

Can you use the REST API and take a look at what your actual charge% is set to?

There is a PowerShell script over here that you can use, posted by XrstalLes:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13410-Model-S-REST-API/page7

Just copy it to a file (Tesla.ps1) and run from PowerShell.

I do think that updates should have an opt-in whether you want to be considered an early adopter or not. Right now Tesla rolls out updates randomly, but in stages in order to catch early bugs. I for one won't mind getting an early update even if it has a slight chance of disabling the car (temporarily of course). However, I'm always the last to get any updates.

On the other hand some people who don't want to be an early adopter tend to get updates very early on, and understandably get upset by regressions.

Have you tried a full "trip" charge to see how many miles you get?

deonb and patp, Thank you for your suggestions. I hate to charge the car to max but tonight I will do just that. I plan on sliding it all the way to the right in Trip and see what Rated miles I get.

Set your range charge to start in the morning so it completes about an hour before you leave in the morning. That way it doesn't still full all night.

Last edited:
@Mods - The title of this thread is incorrect. There is no such thing as "standard" charge" as of v4.5 firmware.

- - - Updated - - -

@Super Gizmo
As has been observed in other threads and confirmed via REST, the "default" charge was changed from "standard charge" of 92-93% to "90%".

That said, 212 is lower than I'm seeing (I think). I'll check my REST logs later and try to remember to report back the "pre-vampire" numbers I'm getting with 4.5 firmware.

I do think that updates should have an opt-in whether you want to be considered an early adopter or not. Right now Tesla rolls out updates randomly, but in stages in order to catch early bugs. I for one won't mind getting an early update even if it has a slight chance of disabling the car (temporarily of course). However, I'm always the last to get any updates.

Software that is rolled out to cars is considered GA, I wouldn't call it "early adopter" vs. not. It's just that you were chosen for your upgrade sooner rather than later.

Set yourself range charge to start in the morning so it completes about an hour before you leave in the morning. That way it doesn't still full all night.

I noticed the new "default" charge in v4.5 gave me fewer rated miles than the old standard charge setting in v4.4. But I went on a road trip on Saturday and topped the battery off while we were getting ready and I was pleasantly surprised when I charged all the way to 265 rated miles. I've got 7,853 miles at the moment and while I did get 271 or 272 rated miles for a range charge when the car was a week or two old, 265 rated miles is a tiny bit better than the 264 rated miles I got the last time I range charged on v4.4

brianman and dsm363, I have been setting the slider to the last indent of Daily since 4.5 update. dsm363, ever since the timed charge became available, I have been trying to set the timer so the car would be charged approximately an hour or so before I drive it. I have to go somewhere right now but I will take a picture later and post it.

@Mods - The title of this thread is incorrect. There is no such thing as "standard" charge" as of v4.5 firmware.

- - - Updated - - -

@Super Gizmo
As has been observed in other threads and confirmed via REST, the "default" charge was changed from "standard charge" of 92-93% to "90%".

That said, 212 is lower than I'm seeing (I think). I'll check my REST logs later and try to remember to report back the "pre-vampire" numbers I'm getting with 4.5 firmware.

i think by standard he means the standard range solely of his car :smile:

I noticed the new "default" charge in v4.5 gave me fewer rated miles than the old standard charge setting in v4.4. But I went on a road trip on Saturday and topped the battery off while we were getting ready and I was pleasantly surprised when I charged all the way to 265 rated miles. I've got 7,853 miles at the moment and while I did get 271 or 272 rated miles for a range charge when the car was a week or two old, 265 rated miles is a tiny bit better than the 264 rated miles I got the last time I range charged on v4.4

Remember that the Battery degradation curves show that we should expect 3% the first year, and 1% for every year following. I would expect that to be normal. I'm not a battery expert, and I'm not tesla talking but from the literature I've read this is to be expected.

Year 1: 271 - 8.13 = 262.87
Year 2: 262 - 2.62 = 260.25
Year 3: 260 - 2.60 = 257.40

Etc.........

That is good news. I plan on doing a full charge tonight and if I am anywhere close to 265 Rated it will be great. The reason I have been worried about the loss of charge is because my wife and I are taking a trip to LA end of June before the Superchargers are in place on 101. We live in Marin county north of SF so we plan on using the Supercharger in Gilroy and then spending the night in Paso Robles at the inn with the Nema 14-50 outlet. We hope to make it to our hotel in LA on a full "Trip" charge of 265 miles but if we lose 30 miles on the Trip charge like we are doing now on Standard or new Daily charge, we will be short.

- - - Updated - - -

Lloyd, I was getting 242 miles on the 4.4 Standard charge the day before I updated to the new 4.5. After the update the most I get on the last indent of Daily is 212. By the way you and I pmed each other several times on the TMC thread. I am the guy who invited you to charge up at our house if you were on your way to the wine country North of SF.

REST logs:
With 4.4, my maximum charge was 249 rated (achieved exactly once since I started logging).
With 4.5, my maximum charge has been 234 rated.
Tonite's charge peaked at 233 and has decayed to 229 already.

For those tracking such things:
  • P85 delivered in 11/13/2012.
  • Charge maximum has always been at the default ("standard" and now "90%").
  • Tesla HPWC daily @ 60A now, roadster HPC @ 70A (once this weekend), HPWC @ 70A (for a week), HPWC @ 80A (for less than a week), 14-50 @ 40A before that, and about a month of 110V/12A before that.

The history will get more complicated with the trip to TesLive, so I figured I'd note while it's "simple". :)