Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla releases an adapter, then they have to compete for supercharger business. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out why an adapter hasn't been forthcoming.
I think Tesla would rather share the burden of charging away from home than take the blame for bad experiences on their exclusive network. Model S and X can charge pretty much anywhere there is AC and DC charging infrastructure, with the possible exception of the new Electrify America sites that only have one CHAdeMO plug but many CCS plugs. Limiting Model 3 charging options is really not in Tesla's interest.

The vast majority of Model S and X drivers still have free charging at Tesla Superchargers. So there's no worry of competition in that segment of their market. Model 3 owners, on the other hand, all have to pay for charging on the road and savvy consumers would quickly move to the lowest cost options during their journeys.

The vast majority of Model S and X drivers still have free charging at Tesla Superchargers. So there's no worry of competition in that segment of their market. Model 3 owners, on the other hand, all have to pay for charging on the road and savvy consumers would quickly move to the lowest cost options during their journeys.
If cost is the only consideration, I assure you that in most markets Model 3 owners will continue to use the Supercharger network. However, cost is not everything. In many places there are industry standard chargers available in places that people already frequent, so they can spend less time waiting for charging even though the charging itself may cost more. The number of people who have access to free CHAdeMO or CCS charging is relatively small, but they do exist and FREE would be motivation for a Model 3 owner to buy an adapter. In general, I dislike FREE charging because it encourages illogical charging behavior. The most compelling case for buying an adapter is when you need to travel in areas that have CHA/CCS chargers but don't have Superchargers. There are significant portions of Canada like this.

If Tesla releases an adapter, then they have to compete for supercharger business. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out why an adapter hasn't been forthcoming.

I see things the opposite way. Offering up an adapter would allow them to lower their capital outlays in the short term by reducing some pressure on their Supercharger network. That’s particularly relevant at a time when they have many significant investments that they need to fund. It would also provide their vehicles with an even greater advantage over the competition - access to nearly all DC fast charging stations in the US, along with Tesla’s own private set of stations. I can’t imagine Supercharging revenue is a significantly source of revenue for Tesla or ever will be.

For the most part tesla super chargers are cheaper than the ccs and chademo chargers already and faster. The adapter is to allow you to travel where the superchargers do not exist.

Also if there's a problem with Superchargers -- like if a site is full or out of service. In a worst-case scenario, Tesla might be hacked, bringing the entire Supercharger network down temporarily; or worse, Tesla might fold, bringing it down permanently. Having an adapter would serve as insurance against such scenarios. Granted, they aren't likely (especially the worst of the worst-case scenarios), but that's why I described an adapter as "insurance," which is something you buy to help you through an unlikely but catastrophic problem.

Reactions: KJD and NerdUno
For the most part tesla super chargers are cheaper than the ccs and chademo chargers already and faster.
While you're right about Chademo, CCS 2.0 maxes out at 350kW vs. Supercharger v3 at 250kW, so CCS wins in that regard. Supercharging is cheaper though and I hope always will be.

The adapter is to allow you to travel where the superchargers do not exist.
I think this is the main point of the adapter and would allow you maximum flexibility while on a trip. I'm always aiming for that "charge anywhere" nirvana. (Separately, I think I will smile the first time I see a digital highway billboard with kWh pricing instead of gas/diesel pricing.)
Plus, I can't help but wonder if EV charging will go the way of gasoline sales in the future, with things like loyalty cards and member discounts (yes I know there's a bit of that today), so being able to utilize any charge technology will help owners shop the best deal.

Reactions: KJD
While you're right about Chademo, CCS 2.0 maxes out at 350kW vs. Supercharger v3 at 250kW, so CCS wins in that regard.

Well, not quite. CCS supports 350 amps/1000 volts. But since most batteries are now around 350 - 400 volts, CCS can only charge those cars at about 100 - 120KW. Supercharger V2 is still going to be somewhat faster for charging a Tesla, and V3 will be much faster.

Well, not quite. CCS supports 350 amps/1000 volts. But since most batteries are now around 350 - 400 volts, CCS can only charge those cars at about 100 - 120KW. Supercharger V2 is still going to be somewhat faster for charging a Tesla, and V3 will be much faster.
Good point about CCS and the battery voltage. Given the maximum ratings listed in Wikipedia, I think CCS ought to be able to support nearly 200kW on a 400V pack. The question remains, if we get a US version of the CCS adapter, what will its maximum power rating be?
Nice that SCv3 remains a winner for us.

Last edited:
How do you figure that when the limit is 350A? 350A @ 400v = 140kW. Or the same as the upgraded Supercharger V2. (Though even that isn't true as the V2 Supercharger gets ~140kW @ ~350v. (Which means it is pushing 400A.)

On CCS you would only get ~122kW at the lower SoC.
Wikipedia claims CCS 2.0 is "< 500A." Therefore, at maximum current, you'd be around 200kW at 400V.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well boys /thread! Thanks for listening Tesla Team!
edit: Also... ORDERED!
With this; Tesla has given me back "Free Supercharging" for $450 as there are several free chademo stations near my work. I already was using free stations, but they maxed out at 6.6kw usually; so quite slow. Should be able to charge 7x faster now for free.

Last edited:
I already have my old Chademo from when I had my S, now I have a 3 - haven't tried it yet - do you know if it the same adaptor? Will my old one work on Model 3? Looks the same.
If so, I'm surprised no one has noticed it works now. But I guess everyone assumed it doesn't work, even if recent updates made it possible earlier than today.

I already have my old Chademo from when I had my S, now I have a 3 - haven't tried it yet - do you know if it the same adaptor? Will my old one work on Model 3? Looks the same.
If so, I'm surprised no one has noticed it works now. But I guess everyone assumed it doesn't work, even if recent updates made it possible earlier than today.

The adapter is supposed to be the same, but you need to have at least 2019.24.1 on your Model 3 for it to work. (I think people gave up trying the adapter after every firmware version long ago.)

853996a5b3c187df43c3e398f3a9ba7d01242d6cr1-1337-925v2_hq.jpg