Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade sound or suspension - if you have to choose one?

Go with -

• Premium sound upgrade

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Air suspension upgrade

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Save money for something else - no upgrades

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to order a 2015 85D from Tesla used inventory.

Super confused with the upgrades. Not willing to compromise on color (Red it is), and the options I see in CPO has either sound upgrade or suspension upgrade. Not upgrading any of those and use that extra money on great detailing, performance tires etc is also an option. I am not the person who pays thousands extra for home stereo, and went with JBL over Bose or Sonos :)

For my money, premium sound. I prefer a coil suspension and it's much cheaper to maintain than an air suspension if you're keeping the car for the long haul.

Tesla's premium audio gets mixed reviews, but nobody disputes it's a big step up from the standard system. If you're not a bass junkie, I think you'll be quite pleased with it.

Reactions: cpobuyer
For my money, premium sound. I prefer a coil suspension and it's much cheaper to maintain than an air suspension if you're keeping the car for the long haul.

Tesla's premium audio gets mixed reviews, but nobody disputes it's a big step up from the standard system. If you're not a bass junkie, I think you'll be quite pleased with it.
I hear reviewers rave about the Model 3 sound system, do you think this is something that inevitably will get replicated in both the X and S inevitably?

Personally, I think air suspension is not worth the initial price or the possible maintenance costs down the road. Also, there is too much talk about different tire wear when using certain ride heights for long periods. I would enjoy the stereo much more. Good luck!
Any idea what replacement/repair costs are? I assume that someone must've run into this issue already...

Do you notice a difference in ride quality with Air Suspension? I don't really need to clear obstacles, my apartment community is super flat (thanks to Bay Area housing price, it will still take me years to buy a house :)

Not sure about ride qualify but comes in handy in area with speed bumps and steep hills, I picked up my car from the SF delivery center and they actually advised me to set suspension to high until I get out of the hilly section of the city.

Have you driven a model S without air suspension and objected to the ride? Are you an “air suspension all the way” kind of guy? That would be important to know.

I have both of the options you’re asking about. The premium audio is fine, but it pales in comparison to MB or BMW premium audio (IMO! I don’t want to start a public debate on that here!) I’m very glad to have air suspension; this is a very heavy car, and I like a smooth ride.

Have you driven a model S without air suspension and objected to the ride?
Yes, I rented a Tesla model S 85D this weekend, which didn't have Air Suspension. I was super impressed with the ride quality - it was similar to the new BMW 540i (also test drove at the same time). That is the reason, I am not sure what noticeable difference it will make, other than helping in clearing obstacles.

I have both of the options you’re asking about. The premium audio is fine, but it pales in comparison to MB or BMW premium audio (IMO! I don’t want to start a public debate on that here!)
I couldn't agree more, the harman kardon or burmester sound systems are much much better IMO.

I have 4 locations where I need to raise the suspension to avoid scraping the bottom front of the car. For me, air suspension is worth it. My hearing is too bad to appreciate a premium sound system.

Have you tried those locations with coils? Generally, you are much more likely to bottom out with the air suspension, as it sits lower than coils during normal operation. The air suspension only helps with clearance when you use the highest setting and have less than 0.75" to spare.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Have you tried those locations with coils? Generally, you are much more likely to bottom out with the air suspension, as it sits lower than coils during normal operation. The air suspension only helps with clearance when you use the highest setting and have less than 0.75" to spare.
Good question. I drove loaner S's before I decided to buy my car and I don't know if they were coil or not.

I voted air suspension because I live in Montreal and the streets are horrible so it does make a difference in comfort, especially on a P85+. However, I had a loaner recently without it and the difference was there but wasn't significant. I guess you could get used to having springs and it won't necessarily be uncomfortable.