Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD $4,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were worried about "worth it", a used 2012 Chevy Cruze would be the right purchase.

Can't argue with that!

My situation is relatively unique, and autopilot is the primary reason I bought the car. A progressive autoimmune disorder has taken much of my hand function, and driving has gotten HARD. Hurts like hell after awhile the hold the steering wheel, so autopilot is why I'm here. FSD always seemed like a worthwhile addition, but not for $7K. I question the wisdom of the $4000 I forked over, but it's not like that he getting cheaper, so why not?

I sometimes chuckle at the lectures I read about using autopilot outside of limited access roads. My one-year anniversary with the car is in 2 days, and I'm at 22,000 miles. I've rolled thousands of miles on autopilot on the various two-lane country roads in my area. The system is awesome, and I am extremely comfortable with the quirks and limitations. It's even driven me through my small town on occasion when my hands are pissed at me. I seriously look forward to true FSD features as they are released, it's gonna make my life a lot simpler. Assuming, of course, it's better than Summon.

Can't argue with that!

My situation is relatively unique, and autopilot is the primary reason I bought the car. A progressive autoimmune disorder has taken much of my hand function, and driving has gotten HARD. Hurts like hell after awhile the hold the steering wheel, so autopilot is why I'm here. FSD always seemed like a worthwhile addition, but not for $7K. I question the wisdom of the $4000 I forked over, but it's not like that he getting cheaper, so why not?

I sometimes chuckle at the lectures I read about using autopilot outside of limited access roads. My one-year anniversary with the car is in 2 days, and I'm at 22,000 miles. I've rolled thousands of miles on autopilot on the various two-lane country roads in my area. The system is awesome, and I am extremely comfortable with the quirks and limitations. It's even driven me through my small town on occasion when my hands are pissed at me. I seriously look forward to true FSD features as they are released, it's gonna make my life a lot simpler. Assuming, of course, it's better than Summon.

I hear that. I don't really play games anymore. Long distances trips are far from easy. Even 100+ miles. Even playing backgammon on the screen for more than 5 min. Wife still pretty much refuses to drive us both, esp with 40 mile drive while I have 2 mile; before CV19. But what can you do. I've had AI issues since 16 and meds for numerous decades since. I still enjoy the kind of spirted driving that AP likely will never do.

Can't argue with someone who's not worried about 'worth it'. But still, that Cruze would have to be the right price.

Might still be $3k overpriced ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.41.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.41.22 PM.png
    386.9 KB · Views: 74
Can't argue with that!

Your situation is a perfect case for FSD. You're among those that will make the most of it. Definitely worth it, IMO.

Like I said, 'those existing FSD features' are not worth the money as they add very little to autopilot. Auto Lane Changing is a nice to have, as is Navigate on Autopilot. Are they worth 7k? No and never will.

... to you.

Obviously they're worth it to OTHER people- because many others have bought them for $7000.

So it's absolutely a YMMV thing.

My upgrade says $7000.... I purchased EAP when it was offered.

Are you sure you have EAP and not basic AP?

If so then there's something wrong with your account and should probably get it looked at to insure it actually reflects what you purchased.

The should do a HW2.5 to HW3 upgrade only. No FSD or EAP.

Why?

2.5 is sufficient for EAP per Elon, let alone for basic AP that does far less.

Other than anecdotal "it seems better on HW3!" posts (which we can file along with how every time there's a SW update some folks insist "behavior X is better now" and just as many insist "Behavior X is worse" and "I didn't notice any change n Behavior X!" we have no reason to believe there's any functional difference for basic AP functions at all- last anybody heard 2.5 and 3 are running the same code still.

I don’t disagree, but lots of folks seem willing to pay for the upgrade. I don’t see why they shouldn’t offer it as an option if people want to foot the bill.

Couple reasons:

1) They're already short of HW (as evidenced by the folks with FSD having appointments cancelled for no HW available)

2) They're short on service center time- as evidenced by folks in some areas reporting it taking weeks to get the first available appointment

Clear both of those up and sure, offer it if folks want to buy something that doesn't help em for money, might as well take it.

Reactions: TomB985
... to you.

Obviously they're worth it to OTHER people- because many others have bought them for $7000.

Exactly!

"Worth it" is 100% a personal decision.

To some people, a junkyard car that starts most of the time and rolls is worth it.
To others, it's Bugatti-or-nothing.
For some, even a Bugatti is useless because it can't tow their boat.

What's "worth it" depends 100% on the individual.

knightshade said:
... to you.

Exactly!

"Worth it" is 100% a personal decision.

To some people, a junkyard car that starts most of the time and rolls is worth it.
To others, it's Bugatti-or-nothing.
For some, even a Bugatti is useless because it can't tow their boat.

What's "worth it" depends 100% on the individual.

That's not the argument I'm making. It's not whether someone chose one over the other. It's how much they paid for what they chose.

There is such a thing as 'paying too much'. I can tell you I just picked up 2 NEMA 14-50 cables from ebay for $110. Did I pay too much?Yep. However, I can also say it was 'worth it' to me. Someone who knows better will say they're not worth that. In the end, whether I think it's worth it to me or not does not change the fact that I paid too much.

FSD would be worth it when the full benefits of it are realized. If in 5 years, I still can't drive in the city without a fair amount of intervention (like AP is now), and I decide to move on to another Tesla or EV, then it wasn't worth it. What I 'think' doesn't matter. I didn't get what I paid for.

Last edited:
That's not the argument I'm making. It's not whether someone chose one over the other. It's how much they paid for what they chose.

There is such a thing as 'paying too much'. I can tell you I just picked up 2 NEMA 14-50 cables from ebay for $110. Did I pay too much?Yep. However, I can also say it was 'worth it' to me. Someone who knows better will say they're not worth that. In the end, whether I think it's worth it to me or not does not change the fact that I paid too much.

FSD would be worth it when the full benefits of it are realized. If in 5 years, I still can't drive in the city without a fair amount of intervention (like AP is now), and I decide to move on to another Tesla or EV, then it wasn't worth it. What I 'think' doesn't matter. I didn't get what I paid for.
I’d have sold you one for $55. :)

And the core functions of “FSD” are nice to have but not essential enough to pay $9-10K for the whole suite factoring in the cost of bAP. Maybe if it applied to a driver profile that stays with you in any HW capable Tesla you own/drive regularly but singularly per unit definitely not.