Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD before increase?

Will you upgrade to FSD before price goes to $10,000

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 81.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super Cruise uses IR cameras which is a much better way of figuring out driver attention than the cameras in the 3/Y cabin. It would really only work reliably during the day
All the Model 3/Y needs is an IR light source to see at night and through sunglasses. This could easily be added, either as a mod, or an upgrade. George Hotz (most recently on the Lex Fridman podcast) believes the model 3 camera is probably sufficient to do acceptable driver monitoring.

Reactions: vickh
that's not 100% accurate. I can buy MS office and install it wherever I want as long as its removed from the previous computer. it doesn't have to be a subscription it really just depends on the EULA. I'd love to know what the buy rate is on FSD on new cars currently. I assume not that great or they wouldn't have had an EAP sale at the end of the quarter.

Right, but the perpetual license for Office is a less-featured version of Microsoft365, and is subject to breaking anytime there is a new mobile or desktop release.

If you want continued/regular releases, subscription makes sense for the people (Tesla, Microsoft) that actually put in the work for these things.

Look I don't like any more monthly costs, either. But that's the world we live in now.

Right, but the perpetual license for Office is a less-featured version of Microsoft365, and is subject to breaking anytime there is a new mobile or desktop release.

If you want continued/regular releases, subscription makes sense for the people (Tesla, Microsoft) that actually put in the work for these things.

Look I don't like any more monthly costs, either. But that's the world we live in now.

I hear what you are saying but I think this is a pretty unique situation. It would be one thing if FSD was actually FSD and I wanted a lifetime license. I think most people would be happy knowing if they dropped 8-10k it would not be anymore money on the next car until FSD was FSD. Meaning, I'd be much more willing to spend the money knowing i'm along for the ride no matter how long it takes to get it right and I'll gladly help tesla train the software along the way. However, I think the number of people that will do so knowing it's likely not going to be a thing during the lifetime of their current vehicle, especially when buying a much lower priced model 3 or Y, is not that high.

I'm also not a fan of the FOMO sales tactic of raising prices, but i certainly get he strategy.

All the Model 3/Y needs is an IR light source to see at night and through sunglasses. This could easily be added, either as a mod, or an upgrade. George Hotz (most recently on the Lex Fridman podcast) believes the model 3 camera is probably sufficient to do acceptable driver monitoring.

+1

I would think head position is sufficient too. It doesn't have to be perfect . Eg Currently you could have one hand on wheel, but distracted on phone etc

Reactions: fseir
I believe Tesla did mention about a subscription service for FSD, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happening when FSD is ready. In regards to the price, I think that Tesla could easily sell a "personal license" where FSD will not be used as part of the fleet, and FSD could be significantly cheaper. Though it's pretty certain that the whole price hike is here to help drive revenue for more CAPEX since Tesla need more gigafactories.

I bought Enhanced AutoPilot back in 2017 for $5000, and loved every minute of using it, especially on road trips. This helped convince me to spend 3k on FSD upgrade. Even if FSD is at 90% I can feel safe when my fiance is getting around by herself. Can't put a price on that.

If Elon magic happens and FSD become a thing, then I'll definitely have my car be a taxi, use the profit to get myself a Cybertruck. Whether it happen or not, I'm happy.

I believe Tesla did mention about a subscription service for FSD, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happening when FSD is ready. In regards to the price, I think that Tesla could easily sell a "personal license" where FSD will not be used as part of the fleet, and FSD could be significantly cheaper. Though it's pretty certain that the whole price hike is here to help drive revenue for more CAPEX since Tesla need more gigafactories.

I bought Enhanced AutoPilot back in 2017 for $5000, and loved every minute of using it, especially on road trips. This helped convince me to spend 3k on FSD upgrade. Even if FSD is at 90% I can feel safe when my fiance is getting around by herself. Can't put a price on that.

If Elon magic happens and FSD become a thing, then I'll definitely have my car be a taxi, use the profit to get myself a Cybertruck. Whether it happen or not, I'm happy.

Elon specifically said subscription coming next year

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-30 Elon Musk on Twitter.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-30 Elon Musk on Twitter.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 66
Elon specifically said subscription coming next year

Thanks I know I'm not going crazy.

I have a feeling that in Elon's mind, he already assumed that FSD will happen, and already did the math on how much money a Tesla can make when it's part of the taxi fleet, hence the price isn't really that outrageous.

But that's to an engineer who don't think we're gonna treat our cars like new born babies. :)

PS - don't feed the troll

I can only think of 3 reasons I would spend $10k on FSD:
  1. I believe that a fleet of robotaxis will exist during the expected lifetime of my vehicle and I intend to use my car in that fleet to make enough profit to justify the purchase.
  2. I go out drinking a lot, and expect that I will save over $10k in taxis/ubers/lifts by having a car that can drive me home during the expected lifetime of my vehicle.
  3. I just think the idea of FSD is really cool and don't want to miss out on it.
The used Model 3 I purchased came with it, so I have it, but I personally wouldn't spend $5k on it let alone $10k because I like driving myself, feel that current autopilot features are pretty good, and would never put my car in a fleet because of the increased wear and tear.

One possible scenario I could imagine is that the robotaxi fleet does exist in the future and the cost of FSD gets really high... at which point I decide to buy a new car without FSD and use my current one as a revenue source to pay for the new car and generate income. That has a lot of "what if's" in it though and I doubt it happens during the lifetime of my current vehicle.

Geico recorded my purchase and said it would be covered at market value. No idea what would actually happen if the car were to be totaled. They didn't raise my rates or anything after I told them.
Total anecdote here, but one of my previous cars was a Lexus with the pre-collision system, about 14 years ago, during the earlier days of adaptive cruise tech. Unfortunately, the car was totaled, and when it came to insurance, it was a bit of a challenge determining the value. Basically, I didn't get much for it, because the demand wasn't there and calling around to local dealers showed a lack of inventory. So it was pretty much just a courtesy for my company to bump up the payout, because in the end, there wasn't much to objectively argue in my favor, that could demonstrably translate into increased value.

IMO, FSD will likely work similarly, if not worse. I mean, I can't imagine an insurance company could easily call a Tesla service center and figure out the take rate of FSD vehicles in the area. Meanwhile, insurance carriers already have "challenges" (I use this term loosely, and mainly through hearsay), determining the value of Tesla vehicles, which is part of the reason Tesla decided to start their own insurance company. It likely depends on the specific insurance company and office, but if my experience says anything, they're likely ignorant of the extent to which FSD even operates, much less how much it's worth- hell, Tesla owners (who likely know the system best), are in deep debate over its worth. I'm thinking insurance companies will likely find the closest equivalent to FSD, and depending on the customer relationship, either lowball on the value or do what happened to me, and just throw a bit of cash to keep the process moving.

I'd be curious to hear what Tesla insurance values the system at, but I don't think traditional providers will place much value on it. I'd find it even less likely that they'd treat it as an appreciating item, just because Elon raises the price.

• Helpful
Reactions: freeAgent
Elon says FSD is not transferable, and also said it will work in the car without internet connection.
So after FSD achieve level 5, my M3D will be long out of warranty, so I'll purchase a totaled Tesla M3P with FSD and salvage the HW3.0 computer. Install it into my M3D, and I've now got M3P with FSD at a fraction of the price.
Sure Tesla could stop providing me updates, but once FSD's certified for level 5, what else do you need.

• Funny
Reactions: derotam and MP3Mike
Elon says FSD is not transferable, and also said it will work in the car without internet connection.
So after FSD achieve level 5, my M3D will be long out of warranty, so I'll purchase a totaled Tesla M3P with FSD and salvage the HW3.0 computer. Install it into my M3D, and I've now got M3P with FSD at a fraction of the price.
Sure Tesla could stop providing me updates, but once FSD's certified for level 5, what else do you need.

That's an interesting way to look at it :)

The whole non-transferrable thing bothers me. Tesla play around with FSD on salvage vehicles (I think) and I've seen speculation that they add/remove these software from inventory/used cars, but that's not confirmed AFAIK. However, the thing that bothers me the most is that Tesla don't allow people who purchased FSD but had their car totaled to transfer it. They acknowledge that they haven't yet actually achieved FSD, so current orders are similar to pre-orders in a lot of ways. Sure, there are some useful and working features out right now, but the cost of "FSD" seems, at least in Elon's mind, to be coupled to the value of functionality that doesn't exist yet. Folks who bought in believing his promise that it would be achieved in 2018 or whenever it was and then had their cars totaled got screwed.

Reactions: pilotSteve
But the responsible parties insurance sound have made them whole, including the FSD value. Unless it was their fault and they didn't have coverage.

I requested a trade in quote and my 2020 performance 3 with 7,000 miles is worth $44k. I spoke to the adviser on the phone and asked if I add FSD does the trade in value go up? His response is it does not change. That is concerning.

I also called geico and they are still trying to figure out if they can even cover the software update. The advisor said he estimates my insurance going up $200 a year but they are going to email me when they are sure if it can be covered. It's been a few days now so I am thinking it's not going to be coverable.

These issues make a monthly subscription more appropriate.

I posted this on another thread earlier today but it seems to fit in with your comment.

Has anyone actually got insurance to cover fsd?