Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to MCU for hardware 1 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stoaty | October 6, 2019
I have a bubble forming in the top of my screen so went to Tesla service center West Los Angeles to get a quote for replacement (not now, when it gets really bad). I have 2013 model S 85 kwh with VIN around 16,000. They gave me the following quote:

Replacement screen part - $2500 (they checked and said it included LTE and MCU2, but didn't include tax)
Labor - $156

Total with tax around $2900.

MCU Retrofit Confirmed | Tesla

This has been continuously asked since MCU2 came out.
Theres been a few retrofits here and there but nothing fully confirmed and while some SC's say they can do it some outright say no and that it doesn't exist yet.

Hopefully one day all those on MCU1 will be able to upgrade but its pretty much unknown at the moment.
Theres a wide range of Teslas from the first off the line to the new 'Raven' and the sophistication of technology and wiring have vastly changed over the years. It might not even be possible to change on some vehicles although that would be a bit strange.

I believe its been said that the Model 3 had been designed to be completely modular? Which was probably a very good design and engineering decision for the future tech.

I’d like an answer to this, since I’m having ongoing problems with connectivity in my 2016 Model S.
The Artarmon service centre keeps telling me I should replace my MCU (at my own expense $4500). The car is less than three years old, but has 110,000km.
I’m pretty sure they have to fix out of warranty under Australian Consumer Law but I don’t really have the stomach to fight it. If I could upgrade to MCU2 I might be able to stand just paying for it out of pocket.

I’d like an answer to this, since I’m having ongoing problems with connectivity in my 2016 Model S.
The Artarmon service centre keeps telling me I should replace my MCU (at my own expense $4500). The car is less than three years old, but has 110,000km.
I’m pretty sure they have to fix out of warranty under Australian Consumer Law but I don’t really have the stomach to fight it. If I could upgrade to MCU2 I might be able to stand just paying for it out of pocket.
connectivity to wifi?

No answer but a clue.
Don’t let the service guys tell you the MCU is not repairable. Mine was replaced in the last month of my 4 year warranty and whilst the ‘new’ one fixed the screen lines issue, whenever I went into a tunnel or lost Satellite coverage the map would spin continuously and lose its place. This meant I couldn’t use navigation as it would start giving random directions as it lost its mind. After 2 trips back to Alexandria it was repaired by replacing the “Gyro Board”. If there is nothing wrong with your MCU other than connectivity I don’t understand why they can’t replace the modem / WiFi board on yours. I would politely press them on the issue. I will be doing the same given that Telstra have announced the end date for 3G of 2024.
Telstra Is Killing 3G

• Helpful
Reactions: Tension
No answer but a clue.
Don’t let the service guys tell you the MCU is not repairable. Mine was replaced in the last month of my 4 year warranty and whilst the ‘new’ one fixed the screen lines issue, whenever I went into a tunnel or lost Satellite coverage the map would spin continuously and lose its place. This meant I couldn’t use navigation as it would start giving random directions as it lost its mind. After 2 trips back to Alexandria it was repaired by replacing the “Gyro Board”. If there is nothing wrong with your MCU other than connectivity I don’t understand why they can’t replace the modem / WiFi board on yours. I would politely press them on the issue. I will be doing the same given that Telstra have announced the end date for 3G of 2024.
Telstra Is Killing 3G
I took it for service again yesterday, and after pushing hard for a free repair they decided to refresh the firmware locally.
This seems to have fixed it, although the technician who actually did the job seemed to imply the problem was simply that the car was not correctly logged into the Tesla VPN.
The app now works, but with one weird exception. I can't use it to unlock the car. I can do anything else, honk the horn, vent and close the roof, turn on HVAC etc.
When I go to unlock the car I get the usual "Are you sure?" prompt, when I click yes the icon changes to unlocked but the car is still locked. No flash of indicators, no extension of door handles, the door handles don't respond to pressing. The car is still locked.
Weird.

There are reports from the States that say that upgrade to the central computer is available in restricted numbers. Does anyone have any info about this here in Oz?

You're confusing the MCU with the AP/FSD computer. They're 2 separate units, and yes, it's been reported that there have been some AP/FSD computer upgrades.
Apparently, according to Elon, Tesla are currently "working on" an MCU upgrade.