Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel your pain but patience is the key here.

I put my deposit in May 2014 but then I realized I will keep the car for a long time. So in that context, I knew I had to have automatic cruise control. I kept pushing back my delivery date for this reason and told them exactly why.

After 10 months of putting down my deposit, I finally got the car I wanted this March. Now they could come up with something much more nicer in 6 months, but now I have the minimum I need to keep this for 10 years or so.

The 85D puts a huge damper on P85 resale value. I can configure a brand new 85D with all the same things my Dec 2012 P85 has and it costs pretty much the same. Except the new 85D is dual motor, has auto pilot potential, etc. And the 85D is just as fast 0-60 and probably faster in the 0-30 due to AWD.

I have a huge, huge level of regret purchasing when I did. I knew there'd be changes, but this is far beyond what Elon/Tesla had mentioned back when they were asked about potential changes in the future. Specifically, he said they didn't expect much significant change until a mid-model refresh a few years down the line. If I'd had any inkling of the massive level of changes that'd be put into place 2 years later, I'd have waited (and been a far richer man since I wouldn't have cached out stock to pay for my car....).

People sometimes analogize the pace of improvement by referencing something like iPhones, but I could afford to buy a new phone every couple years. Tesla is a once in a lifetime splurge for someone at my income level, a car I'd planned on having 15-20 years. Even just having used Adaptive Cruise Control on a loaner...damn, I'd happily have driven my crappy old ICE for 2 more years to have 15 years with a car with the autopilot sensors. It hurts knowing I missed my one shot.

It's good for Tesla though and it's good that's it's pushing forward the EV movement in general.

But for me...damn...huge early adopter regret.

Well... here's one potential consolation. In two years, the P110D and S110D will be out with the new body style, upgraded computer, LTE and various other new sensors and gizmos. The price on the now current (but then used) Ds will have dropped dramatically. You will be able to sell your current car and buy a two year old P85D (or 85D) and the difference might only be $20,000 or so. In the meantime you've had a great car for 2 years longer than those of us who waited.

85D has a sport mode now!! Sweet!

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 12.16.27 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 808
The 85D puts a huge damper on P85 resale value. I can configure a brand new 85D with all the same things my Dec 2012 P85 has and it costs pretty much the same. Except the new 85D is dual motor, has auto pilot potential, etc. And the 85D is just as fast 0-60 and probably faster in the 0-30 due to AWD.

I have a huge, huge level of regret purchasing when I did. I knew there'd be changes, but this is far beyond what Elon/Tesla had mentioned back when they were asked about potential changes in the future. Specifically, he said they didn't expect much significant change until a mid-model refresh a few years down the line. If I'd had any inkling of the massive level of changes that'd be put into place 2 years later, I'd have waited (and been a far richer man since I wouldn't have cached out stock to pay for my car....).

People sometimes analogize the pace of improvement by referencing something like iPhones, but I could afford to buy a new phone every couple years. Tesla is a once in a lifetime splurge for someone at my income level, a car I'd planned on having 15-20 years. Even just having used Adaptive Cruise Control on a loaner...damn, I'd happily have driven my crappy old ICE for 2 more years to have 15 years with a car with the autopilot sensors. It hurts knowing I missed my one shot.

It's good for Tesla though and it's good that's it's pushing forward the EV movement in general.

But for me...damn...huge early adopter regret.

I appreciate your frustration, but remember you have probably the top 1-2% of performance vehicles out on the road right now. The P85+ (and presumably P85) has been clocked 0-60 at 3.9 secs (I believe Motor Trend published this). These are beyond/above (?) first world problems! Find a stretch of empty road and let her loose!

btw, I am 100% sure there is no real update coming for the 85D (even if TM says there is) and that it has always been 4.4sec fast (as has been documented weeks ago). Anything new felt will be placebo effect of an upgrade. I think TM is just getting out of their own way in regards to underrating the 85D originally, thinking it was smart product placement and/or to encourage P85D sales initially.

Just saw the update notice myself. Any chance of posting the release notes?

They look the same as the last 6.2 release to me.

- - - Updated - - -

, I am 100% sure there is no real update coming for the 85D (even if TM says there is) and that it has always been 4.4sec fast (as has been documented weeks ago). Anything new felt will be placebo effect of an upgrade. I think TM is just getting out of their own way in regards to underrating the 85D originally, thinking it was smart product placement and/or to encourage P85D sales initially.

I agreed with you until this morning.

Sorry, but I had to ask ;)

370KW = 495hp

So how have you got 495hp out of 2x 221hp = 422hp motors that are supposedly only rated at 211hp in the S85D.
Not only that, you are well under 4secs for the 0-60 from your chart.

Now I am really confused (and P85D owners going to be pretty pissed too)

370KW = 495hp

So how have you got 495hp out of 2x 221hp = 422hp motors that are supposedly only rated at 211hp in the S85D.

Now I am really confused (and P85D owners going to be pretty pissed too)

Maybe I got the wrong update? ;) Keep in mind, that's power draw from the battery. Not sure how much makes it to the motor.

370KW = 495hp

)
Probably need to figure in inefficiencies in the electrical power draw to mechanical energy conversions. I trust the TM spec of 422 hp as accounting for all of that and a .85 multiplier for that conversion seems pretty reasonable to this mechanical engineer....

And I don't care what my P85D guys think. They should read their own threads. This is just us 85D guys loving the prospect of further dusting the Corvettes, et al. of the world that are seeking a fight...:)

So.. the 85D is getting better than advertised power levels, and us P85D guys are getting less than the 691HP levels. Something isn't right about this.

Has anyone ran the P85D using one of those fancy charts above, to see the actual power draw? It seems like its around 450kW.. which isn't much higher than the 85D! Seems like the 85D just got an overclocking boost, and the P85D is underclocked...