Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice curves. ;-) Yep. Looks like there is a power limiter taking hold at about 325 kW = 435 hp. And "double-punching the accelerator for some reason"? I've done that too... :)

Not quite. That would assume 100% efficiency from pack power draw to mechanical energy in the motor.

So I think we can safely say there was no change to the 85D, only to the marketing materials, right?

Or perhaps an upcoming software update to unlock the full potential.

Hello all,
I took delivery of my 85D on March 4th so I was bummed to see this updated model. I emailed a Tesla representative at Short Hills and asked what would happen with mine. After checking with Tesla, he assured me an OTA update will "enable the 85D to go 0-60 in 4.4s." He also added there was "No word on timing". So excited to hear this, and this hopefully provides some reassurance to other owners.

Hello all,
I took delivery of my 85D on March 4th so I was bummed to see this updated model. I emailed a Tesla representative at Short Hills and asked what would happen with mine. After checking with Tesla, he assured me an OTA update will "enable the 85D to go 0-60 in 4.4s." He also added there was "No word on timing". So excited to hear this, and this hopefully provides some reassurance to other owners.

Yeah, Tesla makes a lot of missteps, but instantly depreciating the first few thousand cars of a new model one month after shipping would rank near the top.

I also think we're already at 4.4. Not sure about this OTA business.

Before anyone brings up the D/Autopilot changes, I said "new model". This would be like adding a rear radar one month after starting autopilot deliveries.

So do we now know definitely that all S85Ds will be able to do 0-60 in 4.4s?

Is this because of a recent or upcoming software update or have they always been that fast?
My rep told me it will be an OTA update to all of them, not just the new ones ordered from today onward. Something about learning that the motors can take more than expected and essentially 'overclocking' them to achieve more power.

As always, add your own salt to taste... ;-)

428PS = 422hp

the 522 i think is an error that is yet to be corrected on the SE website, and should read 422
The German website is similar:

Capture.PNG

It says that the 85D produces 428 PS (Pferdestärke, our horsepower), and it shows 522 "Nominal Motor Capacity" because of dual 261 PS motors. So 428 PS seems to be what it's rated at—at least currently—and 522 PS is what the two motors together are theoretically capable of.

Two other interesting points: The S85 has differing numbers (by 18 PS) for its power rating and nominal capacity; and the P85D only shows its nominal capacity, not its rated horsepower. So it all muddies the water a bit, though with the 85D it's easy enough to see where the 522 PS comes from.

On the other hand, it raises interesting questions about whether the 85D's rated PS will eventually come closer to its nominal capacity, making it potentially a four-second car...

The German website is similar:

View attachment 77414

It says that the 85D produces 428 PS (Pferdestärke, our horsepower), and it shows 522 "Nominal Motor Capacity" because of dual 261 PS motors. So 428 PS seems to be what it's rated at—at least currently—and 522 PS is what the two motors together are theoretically capable of.

Two other interesting points: The S85 has differing numbers (by 18 PS) for its power rating and nominal capacity; and the P85D only shows its nominal capacity, not its rated horsepower. So it all muddies the water a bit, though with the 85D it's easy enough to see where the 522 PS comes from.

On the other hand, it raises interesting questions about whether the 85D's rated PS will eventually come closer to its nominal capacity, making it potentially a four-second car...

Seems that the US is the only site with the abbreviated info - all the European ones have full details on the total power but also the individual motors.

For easy reading, and figures in units that match the US ones, check out the UK one which I already posted at Fascinating and intriguing power/performance figures on the TM website

I'm a little frustrated with the lack of information given to current 85D and p85D owners. The website has advertised 155mph for both the 85D and p85D for many months. I remember that when I first ordered the 85D many months ago, the 155mph was on there. This has not yet been delivered.

Now, the website is advertising that the 85D and p85D has improved 0-60 numbers and increased hp for the 85D and influencing potential new buyers based off of this information. If I were a new buyer, I would think that the the performance numbers are already in effect. However, it is not in effect and who knows when it will come. Hopefully soon! I am assuming that Tesla will deliver this update before the first new buyer of an 85D or p85D receives it in May but I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I do think that they could do a better job communicating these changes to their current customers who they know will have these questions when they released the update. An F.A.Q would be great Tesla! Like yes, it does apply to current 85D owners. Yes, it will come through software update and yes, it will come in a few months.

I have to say though that my feelings also reflect my excitement from Tesla's announcement. So on the other hand, thank you Tesla for making our cars better!

Last edited:
People have already seen 4.4 0-60 on the 85D. I think they were listing conservative numbers before and have updated the order page with more accurate information.

If they shaved a full second off the 85D you know they'd be making a press release and shouting it to the high heavens.

I'm a little frustrated with the lack of information given to current 85D and p85D owners. The website has advertised 155mph for both the 85D and p85D for many months. I remember that when I first ordered the 85D many months ago, the 155mph was on there. This has not yet been delivered.
Have you verified personally that it doesn't yet hit 155 mph?

For me there's a section of the A5 freeway near Frankfurt airport that's perfectly straight for about five miles, and four lanes wide. As soon as my car comes, I'm going to go early on a Sunday morning so I really have room to verify its claimed top-end performance. :)

People have already seen 4.4 0-60 on the 85D. I think they were listing conservative numbers before and have updated the order page with more accurate information.

If they shaved a full second off the 85D you know they'd be making a press release and shouting it to the high heavens.

I agree with this. I think there is a lot of people out there with the idea that the 85D before the change and after are two separate vehicles with two types of motors. I don't think that is accurate. People have already been getting 4.4s 0-60 times, so I think they are just updating the features.

So Charles85D, if you already have an 85D, I'm willing to bet your vehicle already has these specs.

I received word from a tesla rep, that 6.3 should include the performance update to the 85D. Now I don't know what that is but I am guessing that the 0-60 times and speed limiter has been unlocked to 155 as well. I haven't updated the car yet cause I'm at work all day, don't have the means to test the 155mph :), but someone who does and has the ability to measure the changes, please do and let us know! I can test 0-60 sometime tonight or tomorrow but don't have anything to measure it with, so I'll defer to the more technologically advanced people in our forum

I just got a software update notice and my rep told me earlier that a software update will bump up my 85D specs to the new one. Installing. Fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated. Not 6.3 but will drive around later around lunch to see if I can feel the difference. Maybe even stopwatch it.
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

The 85D puts a huge damper on P85 resale value. I can configure a brand new 85D with all the same things my Dec 2012 P85 has and it costs pretty much the same. Except the new 85D is dual motor, has auto pilot potential, etc. And the 85D is just as fast 0-60 and probably faster in the 0-30 due to AWD.

I have a huge, huge level of regret purchasing when I did. I knew there'd be changes, but this is far beyond what Elon/Tesla had mentioned back when they were asked about potential changes in the future. Specifically, he said they didn't expect much significant change until a mid-model refresh a few years down the line. If I'd had any inkling of the massive level of changes that'd be put into place 2 years later, I'd have waited (and been a far richer man since I wouldn't have cached out stock to pay for my car....).

People sometimes analogize the pace of improvement by referencing something like iPhones, but I could afford to buy a new phone every couple years. Tesla is a once in a lifetime splurge for someone at my income level, a car I'd planned on having 15-20 years. Even just having used Adaptive Cruise Control on a loaner...damn, I'd happily have driven my crappy old ICE for 2 more years to have 15 years with a car with the autopilot sensors. It hurts knowing I missed my one shot.

It's good for Tesla though and it's good that's it's pushing forward the EV movement in general.

But for me...damn...huge early adopter regret.