Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded iPhone and traded in the phone and forgot to take key card with me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
I went to my iPhone 14 pro pick up appointment at the Apple store this morning.
Having no SIM tray on the new phone, I tried to transfer SIM to eSIM and my carrier is Visible and they could not do it at the store.
I went to my Model 3 to drive home and then remembered the car would not recognize the new iPhone.
But I had traded in the old iPhone at the Apple store after resetting/deleting everything.
The new phone had the Tesla app and I signed on but I had no LTE so I could not unlock it and start it remotely.
Apple store was about 6 minutes away by foot so starting the car with the store wifi would not last long enough for me and potentially someone could just drive the car away.
I had to ask my wife to remotely unlock it and start it for me at promised time (11:30 am).
And I was able to drive it home and add the new phone with the key card.
So if you are like me and don't carry the key card all the time and you are going to trade in the phone at the store, remember to take the key card with you just in case.

But initially, I was panicking and did not think of the remote unlock and start so I asked my wife to bring the key card to my location. lol. She was not happy.

Having no SIM tray on the new phone, I tried to transfer SIM to eSIM and my carrier is Visible and they could not do it at the store.
I went to my Model 3 to drive home and then remembered the car would not recognize the new iPhone.
But I had traded in the old iPhone at the Apple store after resetting/deleting everything.
The new phone had the Tesla app and I signed on but I had no LTE so I could not unlock it and start it remotely.
Apple store was about 6 minutes away by foot so starting the car with the store wifi would not last long enough for me and potentially someone could just drive the car away.
I had to ask my wife to remotely unlock it and start it for me at promised time (11:30 am).
So if you are like me and don't carry the key card all the time and you are going to trade in the phone at the store, remember to take the key card with you just in case.

But initially, I was panicking and did not think of the remote unlock and start so I asked my wife to bring the key card to my location. lol. She was not happy.
WOW!! Thanks for all of the reminders. One needs to plan this all out, for sure.

Reactions: SlimJim
They are cheap, and probably necessary for valets, delivery, dealers, rentals, etc.
I once drove to a parking garage, only to discover upon arrival that the garage had valet-only parking. Fortunately, I had my key card with me, so this wasn't a problem for me personally; but I'm posting this to point out that you may need the key card unexpectedly.

Reactions: mswlogo
I do not carry a wallet.
No credit card. No cash.

I only have my iPhone in my pocket.

Sorry, but you had it coming...

... You outsourced your life, identity and mobility to a single device from a single company.
No failover. No backup. No contingency planning.

What could possibly go wrong with that?

Last edited:

There is no such thing as "SIM to eSIM" identity transfer.
You can port your phone # from one SIM to another ("e" or physical), and transfer your contacts stored on the SIM or the phone, but that's about it.

You don't need wireless connection to unlock the car remotely - BlueTooth does it.
You can not "start" a Tesla "remotely". A physical card key or an pre-authenticated phone is required.

BTW, if you had activated a new phone, how in the world did you walk out of the store without wireless connectivity fully debugged and working?

Wait, if you had a key card, why did you need your wife to "unlock it remotely"?

Too many holes in the story.
But I'm glad it ends sort-of well.

You can port your phone # from one SIM to another ("e" or physical), and transfer your contacts stored on the SIM or the phone, but that's about it.

You don't need wireless connection to unlock the car remotely - BlueTooth does it.
You can not "start" a Tesla "remotely". A physical card key or an pre-authenticated phone is required.

BTW, if you had activated a new phone, how in the world did you walk out of the store without wireless connectivity fully debugged and working?

Wait, if you had a key card, why did you need your wife to "unlock it remotely"?

Too many holes in the story.
But I'm glad it ends sort-of well.
He didn’t carry a keycard. Your phone pairing is locked to the old phone. You can’t pair your new phone without a keycard. He traded in his old phone without a keycard. He can’t open his car. How hard is that to comprehend without a conspiracy theory. Everyone is a conspiracy theorist these days.

… all of which is handled behind the scenes by Apple’s software. It’s exactly the process as he described; Apple has built hooks into the major carriers to automate that entire process.

So as far as the subscriber UX, it’s exactly that — a transfer. The iPhone activation and setup
Process makes it very seamless (when it works.)

He didn’t carry a keycard. Your phone pairing is locked to the old phone. You can’t pair your new phone without a keycard. He traded in his old phone without a keycard. He can’t open his car. How hard is that to comprehend without a conspiracy theory. Everyone is a conspiracy theorist these days.
Thank you.
That's called "putting all of your eggs in one basket". Convenient until it bites.

What do you do for a driver's license?
I leave a license in the car.
are you a celebrity?
Apple pay is how I pay. I leave driver's license in the car.

Some states allow digital driver's ID, like Colorado.

I haven't carried a wallet in years, I just use a phone case with a slot in the back that allows 3 cards, ID, credit card and Tesla card. Plus I use keyless door locks, so I haven't carried keys or wallet in years. Just easier to remember one thing, my phone.

It won't be long before I can stop carrying any cards, I hope.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Some states allow digital driver's ID, like Colorado.

I haven't carried a wallet in years, I just use a phone case with a slot in the back that allows 3 cards, ID, credit card and Tesla card. Plus I use keyless door locks, so I haven't carried keys or wallet in years. Just easier to remember one thing, my phone.

It won't be long before I can stop carrying any cards, I hope.
wallet = a thing that carries cards, ID
your phone = a thing that carries cards, ID

difference???

• Funny
Reactions: KenC