Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading Model 3 SR to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RLEE

Jun 14, 2019
PA
Has anyone gotten this upgrade (from Standard No AP to Standard Plus with AP) or gotten any information for the cost of this upgrade? I've contacted Tesla several times about this. Always promised a response but never do get a response.

I'm not sure I want the upgrade yet... but I'd like to have the option and know the price.

"Standard customers will have the option to upgrade to a Standard Plus at any time." - An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

Pretty sure someone recently posted about this in another thread that they were quoted $500 above what the price would've been if they'd bought an SR+ in the first place (and that taking AP was mandatory as part of the upgrade)

I had always planned to
So out of curiosity, what is now having you guys thinking of upgrading from SR to SR+? Assume you've had your cars for a little bit now. Love to know your thinking and those considering an SR instead I think would be interested too.
I had always planned to add autopilot at some point. I just didn't want to make the call at the time of purchase and was on a budget. I had to hurry with the sale to get the better tax rebate. Now I've had time with the car I want AP soon. Given the upgrade might only be a bit more I figured I should throw that in.

Reactions: dhanson865
So out of curiosity, what is now having you guys thinking of upgrading from SR to SR+? Assume you've had your cars for a little bit now. Love to know your thinking and those considering an SR instead I think would be interested too.
No way. I might do AP at some point, but there's nothing else in the upgrade worth $1500 on top of that, just as it wasn't worth it at purchase time.

No way. I might do AP at some point, but there's nothing else in the upgrade worth $1500 on top of that, just as it wasn't worth it at purchase time.

Just to follow up, you're basically correct on the price. I got the quote and it's $4,500+tax. The price equals the price difference between the SR and the SR+ at the time of purchase (rather than the current prices).

I'll do the upgrade if I ever add Autopilot but understand it's value is subjective.

This is based on the premise that we only have to pay the difference per one of the posts here. 38,900-35,400=3,500 with AP. Not sure how much SR costs right now?

I'm attempting to confirm it.

When trying to buy a plain vanilla at a store they put in $38,990 for the SR+ and the manager tried to downgrade to SR. The invoice showed $35K for the SR and $3K for AP. We tried to take off AP from it and had some issues.. I could have persisted and gotten it done but by that time I had second thoughts, and wanted AP. So the extra features of SR+ were only $990 more than SR and we decided to go for SR+.

When trying to buy a plain vanilla at a store they put in $38,990 for the SR+ and the manager tried to downgrade to SR. The invoice showed $35K for the SR and $3K for AP. We tried to take off AP from it and had some issues.. I could have persisted and gotten it done but by that time I had second thoughts, and wanted AP. So the extra features of SR+ were only $990 more than SR and we decided to go for SR+.
Same thing happened to me but the sales rep said it's an automated thing. He contacted someone and they removed AP.

Both great deals. Do you like the AP? I'm in San Diego so I'm thinking it might be good for me.

Reactions: Kamban
I picked up the SR-. The SA in Santa Clara told me it's 4500+tax also and 3 business days.
If you want to get AP, this SR+ upgrade is probably the best way to go.

Option 1: SR+ (incl AP) is $4,500
Option 2: SR+ and FSD, it was $11,445 (idk why FSD here is like ~7K) seems like a *sugar* option.
Option 3: Buy AP then upgrade to SR+ later is $8,175 (so, $3K for AP + $3,675 for the SR+ features?) seems like a shittier option.

They also offered to upgrade my SR- with AP+FSD for $6K (instead of $3k AP + $6k FSD). So free AP if you just buy FSD.

Anyways, I get that the pricing is all over the place - but it's all confusing AF. I would mull over Option 1 of $4,500. It's about $500 over the MSRP of the SR+ to get it later.

Been driving with 220 range (pretty much charging to 95% daily) and find it hard to justify getting AP+fog lights+heated seats+immersive sound+.3 sec better at 0-16. It's a gorgeous car for $35K :)

Reactions: djroberts
I picked up the SR-. The SA in Santa Clara told me it's 4500+tax also and 3 business days.
If you want to get AP, this SR+ upgrade is probably the best way to go.

Option 1: SR+ (incl AP) is $4,500
Option 2: SR+ and FSD, it was $11,445 (idk why FSD here is like ~7K) seems like a *sugar* option.
Option 3: Buy AP then upgrade to SR+ later is $8,175 (so, $3K for AP + $3,675 for the SR+ features?) seems like a shittier option.

They also offered to upgrade my SR- with AP+FSD for $6K (instead of $3k AP + $6k FSD). So free AP if you just buy FSD.

Anyways, I get that the pricing is all over the place - but it's all confusing AF. I would mull over Option 1 of $4,500. It's about $500 over the MSRP of the SR+ to get it later.

Been driving with 220 range (pretty much charging to 95% daily) and find it hard to justify getting AP+fog lights+heated seats+immersive sound+.3 sec better at 0-16. It's a gorgeous car for $35K :)

SR+ immersive sound without all the extra speakers is pretty much a joke. There is a SLIGHT audio difference switching it on and off, but absolutely not worth even $100 software unlock or something.

Fog lights don’t work on SR+, it’s premium interior vehicles only.

Very curious that you don’t have heated front seats! I was told a million times by everyone here and Tesla reps that front heated seats had been decided to be included with the SR. I’m glad I went for the SR+ thinking that heated seats wouldn’t be a for sure thing on the lower trim!

I’m mildly annoyed that they would add AP+FSD for $6k for you. If they offered FSD upgrade on my SR+ for $3k I would seriously consider it.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP