Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading the Battery, will it finally become an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my friend the same question for my 90D. He's an engineer by training and works for Tesla. He said a battery pack replacement would also require a software update.

I figure Tesla will not offer this option due to money. It makes more sense to sell you a new car. But I believe down the road, as EV's become more popular, aftermarket services will proliferate. So maybe wk057 would offer the software update but then would you possibly have to give up supercharging, LTE etc if Tesla were to ban aftermarket software?

You don't have to give up supercharging or LTE access but you do lose firmware updates past the one wk057 installs (he disables/blocks updates because your hardware doesn't match what Tesla thinks you have and an update would brick the car).

Basically the best way to to it is wait for AP1 or AP2 whichever you have to stabilize to a point that you have little to no complaints and possibly wait for warranty to expire on the car and then have wk057 install the new pack you want.

At some point there won't be any more updates of consequence for AP1 cars and they'll all be out of warranty. Those will be the prime customers for wk057.

AP2 cars have more potential software updates to wait on.

Reactions: ps004ynos
Interesting - even replacing seats because those have been crash tested with the 100DL configuration.

Anyway, I think it was a limited time offer. For specific people/cars that were ordered before the 100DL was available. To remove the burn of being quickly replaced.

After the 100DL was available, if you didn't order it and purchased the 90DL, I think your out of luck.

Informally/generically I was told by service that my P90D non-L could be upgraded for $30k which I interpreted to be the original $10k for the L and the published $20k for the bigger battery. I think the X’s already have the upgraded seats, that was an issue for some Ss before the X was shipping. Didn’t Elon say something about not having good value in a 10-15% upgrade but a better deal would be when a +35% move was available, in this case more like a 120kWh battery? When S and X are getting this much battery they will probably not be retrofittable. I’d rather have more batteries on my wall than in my car right now anyway.

Reactions: vandacca
Informally/generically I was told by service that my P90D non-L could be upgraded for $30k which I interpreted to be the original $10k for the L and the published $20k for the bigger battery. I think the X’s already have the upgraded seats, that was an issue for some Ss before the X was shipping. Didn’t Elon say something about not having good value in a 10-15% upgrade but a better deal would be when a +35% move was available, in this case more like a 120kWh battery? When S and X are getting this much battery they will probably not be retrofittable. I’d rather have more batteries on my wall than in my car right now anyway.

I still remember debating whether going from p90 d to p100dl was worth $20k, since I already dropped $20k just getting the P. I figured that from the P was the hard part, and that in the future, battery prices will come down enough to make the upgrade cheaper. $30k is definitely not worth it. $10k maybe. 30miles additional, plus the speed upgrade. Looking at these non performance models getting uncorked, I'm wondering if there P was even worth it to begin with.

You don't have to give up supercharging or LTE access but you do lose firmware updates past the one wk057 installs (he disables/blocks updates because your hardware doesn't match what Tesla thinks you have and an update would brick the car).

Basically the best way to to it is wait for AP1 or AP2 whichever you have to stabilize to a point that you have little to no complaints and possibly wait for warranty to expire on the car and then have wk057 install the new pack you want.

At some point there won't be any more updates of consequence for AP1 cars and they'll all be out of warranty. Those will be the prime customers for wk057.

AP2 cars have more potential software updates to wait on.

I'm not sure that's true, I thought you could still receive software updates after a battery pack update. I believe he locks out his firmware because he wanted to stay on 7.x firmware because of his other customizations. @wk057 can you confirm?

Jason - What about selling/installing two extra 75 modules in a 75 to make an 85? Is that considered on odd config or can you code that to keep updates?

Not doable since you'll never have matched modules. Even if you do the physical and software work to make it happen (no small feat in itself), the cells will quickly become imbalanced and the pack will be useless.

Does anyone know what the parameters are for the upgrade? I have a P90DL, 12/15 Founders addition with type A bat and would be interested in the upgrade. Also a point of contact would be helpful as I am striking out with my local Service Center.

it’s all listed up thread,

Basicly refreshed front end cars (April 2016 or newer) with air suspension. It’s limited due to a new connector design on the battery pack. See post 25 in this thread for more info.