Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Rear Link Build (Reduces rear camber to improve tire wear)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Artsci, do you pay $1000 for the set + $200 core + $35 shipping = $1235 total....

So do they press in their bushings (assuming P85+ bushings) and then you send in your UCA or bushings? or do you mail your UCA in first, and then they press it out and install on your new UCA? That would leave the car unusable for a couple of weeks or so. Or do you just keep everything and they provide all the bushings?

Hi Artsci, do you pay $1000 for the set + $200 core + $35 shipping = $1235 total....

So do they press in their bushings (assuming P85+ bushings) and then you send in your UCA or bushings? or do you mail your UCA in first, and then they press it out and install on your new UCA? That would leave the car unusable for a couple of weeks or so. Or do you just keep everything and they provide all the bushings?

As I recall that's about what it cost. I had to send them a set of bushings -- fortunately I had a spare set from SUPRKAR. But you can also buy the upper link for Tesla and press the bushings out. I know, it's more money but it does solve the problem you cited. The upper links are part number 6006719-00-B.

Thanks Artsci... Just trying to swallow the amt of money for it even though I know its worth it in the long run. I wonder why Tesla hasn't developed adjustable camber after so many damn complaints of negative rear camber unless they addressed it now with longer UCA. It seems only the old timers are complaining only and not the newer models?

Thanks Artsci... Just trying to swallow the amt of money for it even though I know its worth it in the long run. I wonder why Tesla hasn't developed adjustable camber after so many damn complaints of negative rear camber unless they addressed it now with longer UCA. It seems only the old timers are complaining only and not the newer models?

Don't know whether it's just old timers but I also suspect Tesla was paying attention and addressed the issue in newer cars. But it's worth it -- you'll recover the costs in tire replacement in about 20K miles -- I did.

Behold, perfect rear camber, ahh AHHHHHHHH!!!
Scan_20160524 (2).jpg

If you have an earlier car, buying the new links may not be a bad idea as you will get the stiffer inner rubber bushings along with the solid ball style outer joint.

Hi Lolachampcar and Artsci, do you think buying the "newer" UCA from Tesla would possibly correct the camber? I have an existing P85 that was retrofitted to a plus a couple of years ago. Besides the UCA, would else I would need to buy to get the solid ball style outer joint?

My P85D had the metal ball outer and hard rubber inner joints. I removed them from the stock upper arms and installed them in a pair of my links. I did not measure my camber before doing this but my eyeballometer said the back of the car was still carrying a lot of negative camber :)

As for removing the bushings, I built some press tools and have done about a half dozen link sets without issue. To my knowledge, Tesla buys the links assembled and does not stock or supply just the bushings.

My P85D had the metal ball outer and hard rubber inner joints. I removed them from the stock upper arms and installed them in a pair of my links. I did not measure my camber before doing this but my eyeballometer said the back of the car was still carrying a lot of negative camber :)

As for removing the bushings, I built some press tools and have done about a half dozen link sets without issue. To my knowledge, Tesla buys the links assembled and does not stock or supply just the bushings.

The bushings are not listed as a separate part in the parts guide I have.