Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset with lack of features on Hardware 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think what really improves the survival odds beyond defensive driving is just being able to anticipate
what other drivers might do, including potentially risky actions.
This is a good point. Some time ago I read another comment on TMC observing that the author found AP to contribute to exactly this kind of anticipatory planning -- not because AP predicts other drivers' behavior (it doesn't, it's purely reactive AFAICT) but because it frees up some of the driver's attention that was previously used for basic road- and traffic-following. That lets the driver move up a level to anticipation and planning, while AP manages the grunt work. Some of those cycles get spent on managing AP itself, it's true, but in that author's experience, and mine, the net is still a positive one.

Well not good so far. Update is stuck on this screen.
IMG_0975.JPG

Mercedes or the like would never, at least until their business model on this changes, ship feature-upgrades to an existing ADAS system either. They will simply ship their current Level 2 offering and once Level 3 is available, ship that. Those with Level 2 have no means of upgrading, not even within the scope of their hardware. When Level 4 ships, Level 3 is left out doing simply what it was doing before that.

I wanted to quote this whole post but that seemed excessive. :) I think this thread is clarifying and separating some differences in perspective in this forum's community, which I would break down (in an over-simplistic way) into to two groups:

- People who expect a $100k product to be complete and great when it's first purchased.
- People who are content with getting less than the whole package at first because they'll get more in the long run.

I want to stress: both of these perspectives are reasonable! Given how important AP is to the Tesla brand and messaging it's legit to call the current AP2 Xs unfinished, but on the other hand you can spec one without it completely and it's still a long range fast electric car. Everyone has different expectations and desires.

I also think they represent different kinds of car buyers -- if you generally do short leases then you're more likely to be in the first group, while if this is your first (and possibly last) $100k car you're more likely to be in the second group.

yea I got the update a little while ago and what was weird is that my headlights got set to ON instead of AUTO after the update. They had been on a while before I went out and noticed it. I went into settings and set them to AUTO, per the new update. Also, another interesting note is that while the screenshot says Speed Assist works if you open the Manual it says the cameras can NOT detect the speed at this time... weird/confusing.. wonder if they forgot to update the manual or what ...

It is disappointing that my new P100D was in transit when this update restoring the headlight functions was released, and missed it at the factory. I have been on WiFi for a week and still nothing.

Try pumping the Geofence? Not sure if that will work for this release or not, but if getting it soon is important to you, you might as well try it.

Ummm, and this means what, pray tell—driving in and out of the garage multiple times?

Sorry. There's a long thread around here where one of our forum gurus discovered a list of geofenced areas in the car's software - around most service centers and galleries, etc - and determined that as soon as the car saw it was in that area, it reached out to the Tesla servers and asked for the latest update.

At least one update thereafter did not come when the car hit the geofence, though, so it isn't guaranteed to work.

Knowing the update you want is in some cars just like yours, though, I would cruise by my nearest Tesla facility and see if the update magically appears the next day.