Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upstate / Western New York Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Got a VIN today! I live in Rochester NY. Talked to Tesla, they had me down for pick up in Pittsburgh NY. Maybe I selected that as closest dealer when S shopping a while back? Toronto is closest, then CLE, then Pittsburgh, then NYC/Mt. Kisco.

I explained that I'd read that if I pick up in Mt Kisco my state rebate goes from $500 to $2000. Tesla rep says "oh, hmmmm, NY, right ok then we need to get you a new / maybe different VIN, this might delay things". Weird. She also said they only do home deliveries in Rhode Island (and one other state) because they don't have a license there.

I was under the impression that home delivery was an option.
Home Delivery | Tesla
Does anyone know if this has been discontinued?

Other NY residents that live far from NYC, how did you take delivery?

Thanks.

Home delivery is an option but your car will still have to go to Mt Kisco for you to get the rebate and to be prepped. Since your first VIN was destined for Pittsburgh you will be assigned a new VIN for Mt Kisco. They don't redirect shipments. I just went through this song and dance so I know all about it. Just check my signature and you'll see there's even more to the story. BTW, if your next VIN is 11086 you might want to pass on it. It got a whole new paint job from their local shop.

Two drawbacks for home delivery are not getting the walkthrough on how everything works and you might not be able to reject it if anything is wrong with it. I went to Mt Kisco to get mine. They paid for an Amtrak ticket and a Lyft ride to the SC.

Last edited:
Gee, I never thought to ask for an Amtrak ticket, etc..
My MS came from Mt. Kisco. (and was transported on a flatbed from Pittsburgh to Mt Kisco for prep first)
I live in Naples, NY. Selected an inventory car in August 2017
I think I basically clicked on one of those "Contact Me" things and someone from Corporate called me within minutes.
After some discussion about geography and explaining that Naples, NY is not within sight of Manhattan Sky Scrapers, the person on the phone actually google mapped where the hell Naples was. Then there was a long, long pause... I patiently waited for him to figure it out.
He had the power to waive the home delivery fee and also gave me a choice of any inventory car in either Pittsburgh or Mt. Kisco.
My MS was delivered on an open flatbed trailer along with a second MS headed for Orchard Park. Both were pulled by a Dodge Ram pickup. Totally not how I expected delivery.
However, 8 months later, the car has been great. (Of course I knocked on wood just now)
I contacted Mt Kisco about uncorking about two months ago. They were even going to drive out to my house to do it. With the winter storms we were having, I put it off and agreed to just have them do it when my annual checkup is scheduled.

Just great, one more Tesla for me to compete with at the single ROC Airport charger. LOL.. :)

I'm also in rochester, but still waiting for my VIN. I'm interested in hearing how this turns out.

BTW, this is from Tesla's FAQ

What if I live far away from the nearest Service Center?
If you live more than 160 miles from the closest Service Center, your vehicle can be shipped directly to your home or office. Payment in full is required before the car will ship, and a window for delivery will then be provided. We encourage you to consider picking up your vehicle at the Service Center, as it offers you the very best delivery experience, including the ability to schedule a specific day and time for delivery, meet your local service team and receive a full vehicle walkthrough. Our supercharger network enables long distance travel unlike any other electric vehicle – perfect for your trip home!

I'd like to hear how this goes too. I live far up in the North Country, about an hour and a half northeast of Watertown. I'm way closer to Montreal than NYC, but the idea of crossing the border with a brand new car that I picked up in Canada with temporary tags or whatever just sounds like a nightmare for customs alarm bells.

Thanks s3xy & michael for the info, very helpful. So they assigned a new VIN for Mt. Kisco delivery, we're scheduled for May 26th. Talked to Vegas to work through things, still not sure how Pittsburgh got in the mix, likely my error. They offered to pay for car rental and 1 night hotel given the distance. I did not confirm the offer for home delivery as after talking it through with my wife we think we want the full in-store delivery experience for the reasons s3xy suggests above. VIN was 20476 now 20553. Mt Kisco is 320 miles to home. Guess we'll be hitting a supercharger on our first drive!

Reactions: jrreno
Thanks for the update.

Still one month out after getting a VIN? Doesn't make me too hopeful for mine considering I don't have a VIN yet!
DO you know if the car rental the 1 night hotel just due to your specific situation or is it an alternative to the home delivery in general? I think I'd op for that too if given the choice for the same reason: in store delivery experience.

Hey, I'm from the Rochester area as well (Bloomfield which is south of Rochester), and ordered on April 14th. This is all very interesting about the Mt. Kisco delivery center. When I ordered they said delivery was estimated to be 3 to 6 weeks. Litzy/bcard53, when did you order yours? I was hoping to have mine to drive to my week-long family reunion in Minnesota that starts June 12th, but if bcard53 has his VIN already and delivery isn't scheduled until May 26, then my timing doesn't look all that great.
OT: I sold my 2012 Nissan Leaf today. I am amazed how many people wanted to buy it. I thought I'd have a difficult time selling it. Evidently I wasn't asking enough for it, but it had 73,400 miles on it. It's difficult to find any for sale in the US that have more miles.

I was an invite & configure on April 10th. White/Aero. Mine also said 3-6 weeks but am/was expecting it to be more like 8 weeks.

I haven't sold my car (vw r32, not sure how easy to sell) yet, but my inspection is due end of June. So I'm hoping to have the 3 by the end of June at the latest!

I'm in the syracuse region and put in my order on the 18th. I'm planning on going down to Mr. Kisco to take delivery when the time comes. I want to get the full Tesla experience, and be able to look closely over the car to make sure there's no issues that need to be addressed first. (Or refuse the car if there are any large issues, but I don't expect there to be). I looked at a train ticket, and I could rent a one way car for only $10 more, so I'll probably do that.

@BlueWRXPride I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.
  1. Have you asked Tesla how they're going to handle problems/defects after the vehicle has been delivered?
  2. Tesla's Design Studio shows the NY EV rebate is only $500 (should be $2,000 for < $60,000 MSPR), were you able to confirm the correct amount?
So close to pulling the trigger, but Tesla never responded to my initial contact.

@Litzy @ranss12 I was invited 3/22, ordered 3/23. Initial VIN 4/23, replacement VIN 4/24. They offered delivery on 5/26, we just switched it to 5/31. So ~8 weeks all said. Pretty sure it estimated 3-6 weeks when I ordered.

I got the sense the hotel & car offer is standard. I think it may have been the first NY delivery for the Vegas rep I was assigned and she didn't have the scoop prior to our first conversation.

VINs are climbing fast, maybe your's will be quicker with the reported production improvements.

@BlueWRXPride I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.
  1. Have you asked Tesla how they're going to handle problems/defects after the vehicle has been delivered?
  2. Tesla's Design Studio shows the NY EV rebate is only $500 (should be $2,000 for < $60,000 MSPR), were you able to confirm the correct amount?
So close to pulling the trigger, but Tesla never responded to my initial contact.

Yes, I spoke with them on the phone about #1. They mentioned the rangers which I already new about. Rangers are tesla employees in service vans that can come to where you are and perform a lot of service on the spot. For things that do require a service center, they said the would send a flatbed for the car, and give me an enterprise rental from a local office. I'm not sure if they'd pick up the car here for me only if it was dead vs if I could drive it there, but I figure it was good enough. Having a tesla in this area certainly isn't without some risk, but I decided I was willing to take it.

The EV rebate is definitely $2k. Gotta be a glitch on the site. I saw a thread on some forum where someone mentioned the $2k credit they got in NY. Not only that, but the $2k deduction is before tax!

Where in syr are you?

Thanks s3xy & michael for the info, very helpful. So they assigned a new VIN for Mt. Kisco delivery, we're scheduled for May 26th. Talked to Vegas to work through things, still not sure how Pittsburgh got in the mix, likely my error. They offered to pay for car rental and 1 night hotel given the distance. I did not confirm the offer for home delivery as after talking it through with my wife we think we want the full in-store delivery experience for the reasons s3xy suggests above. VIN was 20476 now 20553. Mt Kisco is 320 miles to home. Guess we'll be hitting a supercharger on our first drive!

I'm in the syracuse region and put in my order on the 18th. I'm planning on going down to Mr. Kisco to take delivery when the time comes. I want to get the full Tesla experience, and be able to look closely over the car to make sure there's no issues that need to be addressed first. (Or refuse the car if there are any large issues, but I don't expect there to be). I looked at a train ticket, and I could rent a one way car for only $10 more, so I'll probably do that.
Not trying to burst your bubble, just setting expectations. Mt Kisco is not quite like some of the other delivery locations you see pictured on TMC. You take delivery next to the repair bays. There's no hoopla, no latte's and I didn't see any warm cookies. They did run out and get me a pre-packaged ham sandwich. The main thing I got out of it was getting all of my questions answered during the run-through.

I'd like to hear how this goes too. I live far up in the North Country, about an hour and a half northeast of Watertown. I'm way closer to Montreal than NYC, but the idea of crossing the border with a brand new car that I picked up in Canada with temporary tags or whatever just sounds like a nightmare for customs alarm bells.
If you want the $2,000 NYS rebate you have no choice. You have to take delivery at a NY SC.