Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urgh. MCU Bite The Dust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, I have joined the fan club of dead mcu. 2015 MS w/95k miles. It was lagging so I pressed the middle two buttons to reboot it and it won't boot back up. Stepped on the brakes and press for over a minute several times, no dice. Rebooted dash console, that rebooted. Since MCU is dead, a/c won't turn off, even after leaving the car. So drove it to the service center to find out they don't give loaners anymore for vehicle out of warranty!!!! They only do it for vehicle under warranty. Come on Tesla. BMW, Lexus, and others a like still give a loaner. Heck my 2006 Lexus still get a loaner when I bring it in for a service.

Anyhow, I digress. They will do a diagnostic to see if a new MCU is needed. If so, I requested to upgrade for the newest available unit. They are backlog so could be over 3 weeks wait!!!! Argh!

Ah, I have joined the fan club of dead mcu. 2015 MS w/95k miles. It was lagging so I pressed the middle two buttons to reboot it and it won't boot back up. Stepped on the brakes and press for over a minute several times, no dice. Rebooted dash console, that rebooted. Since MCU is dead, a/c won't turn off, even after leaving the car. So drove it to the service center to find out they don't give loaners anymore for vehicle out of warranty!!!! They only do it for vehicle under warranty. Come on Tesla. BMW, Lexus, and others a like still give a loaner. Heck my 2006 Lexus still get a loaner when I bring it in for a service.

Anyhow, I digress. They will do a diagnostic to see if a new MCU is needed. If so, I requested to upgrade for the newest available unit. They are backlog so could be over 3 weeks wait!!!! Argh!

Or you can contact EV-FixMe on here to just do the EMMC replacement.

Not possible if it's dead.
Supposedly, one possible cause for black screen MCU that can't boot is if the eMMC (flash memory) has too many bad cells that it can't even read the boot code. This would mean in theory a new eMMC could work. Unfortunately, if your eMMC is completely unreadable, it can't be copied over... so look in the forum for the guys who do fix out of warranty MCU. Or you could buy a new one from Tesla for a bit more.

Supposedly, one possible cause for black screen MCU that can't boot is if the eMMC (flash memory) has too many bad cells that it can't even read the boot code. This would mean in theory a new eMMC could work. Unfortunately, if your eMMC is completely unreadable, it can't be copied over... so look in the forum for the guys who do fix out of warranty MCU. Or you could buy a new one from Tesla for a bit more.

I might as well take the opportunity to upgrade since the LTE signal suck on it as well and no Netflix.

What's disappointing is the fact no more loaner and they only doing it for vehicles under warranty.

What's disappointing is the fact no more loaner and they only doing it for vehicles under warranty.

psssst... Just print this off their website next time you visit the Service Center. They'll give you a Roadster... tell'em Elon said so.

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO

"The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways...

For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home one of our Tesla Roadster sports cars when their car is in for service. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature."

Yes, that is correct. EVFIXME still have the ability to recover the necessary data when the MCU goes dead. If evfixme cant recover the data on your eMMC they do not charge you anything but the return shipping.

• Love
Reactions: TigaFF
Ok, Received my MS back. According to them they were able to recover the unit. They did a 12V cycle, wipe the eMMC and reflash it with the latest firmware 2020.17. So no need to have it replace. Charged 200 bucks for the service.

However, when they open it to flash it, they unplugged my amp and never plugged back in. So I have no power to my sub :(. Have to take it back to them to look at it again. Sloppy job.

Ok, Received my MS back. According to them they were able to recover the unit. They did a 12V cycle, wipe the eMMC and reflash it with the latest firmware 2020.17. So no need to have it replace. Charged 200 bucks for the service.

However, when they open it to flash it, they unplugged my amp and never plugged back in. So I have no power to my sub :(. Have to take it back to them to look at it again. Sloppy job.
Even after wiping, isn’t it likely to fail outright given too many write cycles? So best to replace or upgrade while you can?

Reactions: davidc18
Even after wiping, isn’t it likely to fail outright given too many write cycles? So best to replace or upgrade while you can?
That is what I think. But given the delay getting it I guess getting the vehicle back to use in the meantime is better than nothing.

but whatever they did I now lost power to my amp. They forgot their tools in my car. Left lights unplugged. Sloppy.