Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US$15.000 NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 supercomputer in every Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like i said earlier this will be staged as part of the heater core and enhance winter heating performance. 500 + watts of waste heat could do wonders for a well insulated cabin.

That really is some serious power - wonder if this power will qualify the Model S for the Genius Book of World Records for the most advanced processor ever in a production car?

Someone buy my P85+ so I can go order a new one..... please

I think I understand a little bit better now.

I look up the article that every one was talking about:

NVIDIA Announces DRIVE PX 2 - Pascal Power For Self-Driving Cars

Here's the other side of the Drive PX 2 board:

PX2GPUs.jpg

1 chip board is just a little bigger than a hand but 2 chip board seems much bigger.

So @Frogwheels is correct afterall!

I guess Elon was talking to non-engineer audience when he said "Titan GPU" which made me visualize a Titan X graphic card:

titanx-shop.png

May be he meant in order to run a Drive PX 2 board, he chose the chip from Titan X graphic card called GP 102.

c798_GP102-400-A1.jpg

So what are the suggested prices? The board is about $15,000, whole graphic card is about $1,500?

It sounds that $10,000 Tesla Enhanced Autopilot is a real bargain!
With 2 chips per board and at least two boards required there isn't any way the GP102 is being used and is still able to fix within the TDP requirements.

Okay seriously - so, our conclusion thus far is that Tesla is putting a $15,000 GPU board right now into *every* Tesla? Even the stripped down base models? Even, assuming Tesla pays 1/2 the list price per board that's still $7,500 - a significant amount of of the car's final price.

So, even at a price of $8,000 to enable autopilot this is a good deal in a Model S 60 with no pano roof or other luxury options.

$15K is for a developer kit. Includes software, etc. Oem price is much less. We don't know how many GPUs tesla''s system has, but figure each GPU and supporting memory will cost about $500 to $700, give or take. So, expensive, but tesla isn't losing money...

Reactions: techmaven
Hmm, I'm still confused - I gotta go find that article I just read last week that said the PX2 production chipsets are not sampling for another year. Obviously that article is wrong, but I swear I just read it.

Nvidia is working on yet another platform for cars (lower power), and that one won't be ready for another year. Maybe that's what you saw?

I'm wondering if this is yet another case of Quadro versus GeForce. In this case, Drive PX2 versus Titan. Tesla has written their own software stack completely and only wants the TFLOPs out of a GPU. Hence it is portable between AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA. If you buy an actual Drive PX2, you are licensing NVIDIA's software stack. Since Tesla doesn't want that, they just buy the GP102's. NVIDIA can still claim the Drive PX2 platform since basically it's the same chip.

Note that everyone else that is trying this out with cars has more cameras, more radar units, and a whole slew of LIDAR units. So they need a lot more computational power to process that much more sensor data.

I'm wondering if this is yet another case of Quadro versus GeForce. In this case, Drive PX2 versus Titan. Tesla has written their own software stack completely and only wants the TFLOPs out of a GPU. Hence it is portable between AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA. If you buy an actual Drive PX2, you are licensing NVIDIA's software stack. Since Tesla doesn't want that, they just buy the GP102's. NVIDIA can still claim the Drive PX2 platform since basically it's the same chip.

Note that everyone else that is trying this out with cars has more cameras, more radar units, and a whole slew of LIDAR units. So they need a lot more computational power to process that much more sensor data.

Great explanation - I hadn't thought of that. I love how Musk's solutions are elegant in that he always wrings the most out of a given hardware set. He did the same thing with SpaceX - read his bio recently - they were cowboys building rockets on a shoestring. Then AP 1.0 has only 1 camera and one radar - yet Mercedes can't perform nearly as well even with 2-3X the number of sensors on their cars.

Long live Tesla!

Reactions: techmaven
Ah, it is as I thought, and Elon was simply referring to the "Titan" somewhat generically, as it's essentially the same cores used on the PX 2. They also appear to be using those actual PX 2 units, which the article confirms are in-production.

Hey, I got one out of two right in this thread! :D