Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US$15.000 NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 supercomputer in every Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect Elon was speaking colloquially, and the use of "Titan GPU" was in order to refer to something the audience would be familiar with. The Drive PX 2 is likely in essence the same (or similar enough) technology, but packaged in a form suitable for automotive use, such that the distinction is important for geeks here, but probably not for the general public.

Well as long as they are using the fully autonomous version, yeah. Otherwise it would be capped at ~768 CUDA cores which is far short of the 3584CUDA cores GP102 comes with.

That is still a lot of TDP to dissipate, is the processing unit co located where the front facing cameras are?
12 TFLOPS means a full GP102, if the PX2.0 boards were in the rear view mirror I'd be shocked.

According to the anantech article about DrivePX, it is always liquid cooled. Either integrated into the car's cooling system or with an external radiator.

Autonomous Car Development Platform from NVIDIA DRIVE PX2

There are 3 flavors:

DRIVE PX 2 FOR AUTOCRUISE

agx1-top.png

DRIVE PX 2 FOR AUTOCHAUFFEUR: Picture shows 2 discrete GPUs: For point-to-point travel and I don't think it is fully Autonomous Driving.

drive-px2-top.png

DRIVE PX 2 FOR FULLY AUTONOMOUS DRIVING: Picture seems to suggest multiple boards.

drive-px2-2top.png

The description seems to say a board with only 1 processor can be passively cooled:

"These range from one passively cooled mobile processor operating at 10 watts, to a multi-chip configuration with two mobile processors and two discrete GPUs delivering 24 trillion deep learning operations per second. Multiple DRIVE PX 2 platforms can be used in parallel to enable fully autonomous driving."

I think I understand a little bit better now.

I look up the article that every one was talking about:

NVIDIA Announces DRIVE PX 2 - Pascal Power For Self-Driving Cars

Here's the other side of the Drive PX 2 board:

PX2GPUs.jpg

1 chip board is just a little bigger than a hand but 2 chip board seems much bigger.

So @Frogwheels is correct afterall!

I guess Elon was talking to non-engineer audience when he said "Titan GPU" which made me visualize a Titan X graphic card:

titanx-shop.png

May be he meant in order to run a Drive PX 2 board, he chose the chip from Titan X graphic card called GP 102.

c798_GP102-400-A1.jpg

So what are the suggested prices? The board is about $15,000, whole graphic card is about $1,500?

It sounds that $10,000 Tesla Enhanced Autopilot is a real bargain!

I wonder how much of PX2's 250W of power consumption going to impact on cars's range?

Nivida will definitely come out with PX3 platform (maybe as early as next year??), maybe single chip can do Full-autonomous.I wonder if PX2's car will be eligible for upgrade

If you are driving 60 miles per hour, the car consumes, say, 350wh/mile, so that's 60x350= 21,000 wh in one hour of driving. The DrivePX 2 will consume 250 wh during that time, so an extra 1.2% power consumption, more or less. So on a full range 250 mile trip, the system would draw an extra 3 miles from the pack...

I wonder how much of PX2's 250W of power consumption going to impact on cars's range?

Nivida will definitely come out with PX3 platform (maybe as early as next year??), maybe single chip can do Full-autonomous.I wonder if PX2's car will be eligible for upgrade
The have info about the future PX3 based on Volta and how many watts online.

Note that the PX2 max usage is 250 watts. The tegra chips themselves draw 10 watts each, the rest of the board can draw more power, it really depends how hard it's working. Even at full usage if ran for 8 hours straight that's 2 kWh or about only 7 miles of range.

Speed is not really relevant.

The have info about the future PX3 based on Volta and how many watts online.

Note that the PX2 max usage is 250 watts. The tegra chips themselves draw 10 watts each, the rest of the board can draw more power, it really depends how hard it's working. Even at full usage if ran for 8 hours straight that's 2 kWh or about only 7 miles of range.

Speed is not really relevant.

From my understanding of Anandtech:
NVIDIA Announces DRIVE PX 2 - Pascal Power For Self-Driving Cars

250W is just 1 board's power? Full-Autonomous requires at least 2 PX2s so it will be 500W?

But it's a relief that the real world impact isn't large.