Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I belief the soft limit causing the energy app to display wrong information.
When I look at the consumptions page it looks like I always do batter than expected range by like 10 miles.
Also the projected range is like 30+ miles higher than the actual range left in the car.

IMG_1446.jpeg
December 2023 - fremont assembly

Model y rwd

Expected range is the EPA rating and not a reflection of Reality
Understand, but my old 3 usually shows the expected range is close to the actual range maybe off by 5 miles.
Right now it is showing like 30miles difference and its showing more make me think they are displaying incorrect info.
Not that I needed the app to work, its just some thoughts

Understand, but my old 3 usually shows the expected range is close to the actual range maybe off by 5 miles.
Right now it is showing like 30miles difference and its showing more make me think they are displaying incorrect info.
Not that I needed the app to work, its just some thoughts
Without knowing your before and after consumption that is quite meaningless, especially given consumption can vary depending on season and driving style.

Take regular pictures of the energy screen and see how close you are to the gray rated line. The further you are from that line, the more the actual range will deviate from the rated.

Whats the point of this post.
Charging speed- 251kW?
Its a very telling picture.

It both show is that it is not a CATL or BYD LFP (they cant reach 250kW).
It also show is that Tesla did not nerf the charging speed on this battery which I think was a discussion/ question in this thread.
So a very informing post despite few words :)

I did a quick test on my 2023 MY RWD. 11.8469 kWh added. Battery charged from 62% to 78%
The total capacity then is 74 kWh. Is that the usable battery or the total battery capacity(without SW limited)?
I guess it should be the total usable battery capacity right?

I did a quick test on my 2023 MY RWD. 11.8469 kWh added. Battery charged from 62% to 78%
The total capacity then is 74 kWh. Is that the usable battery or the total battery capacity(without SW limited)?
I guess it should be the total usable battery capacity right?
That’s the energy delivered by the charger, not necessarily the amount actually added to the battery. Also you don’t have any decimal places for the %.

So if you figure about 93% 250V AC charging efficiency and worse case scenario of rounding from 61.50% to 78.49%, that yields about 64.8 kWh.

A better way to estimate your battery capacity is to go into the Energy App in the car, view the Consumption tab graph, then:

Avg Wh/m (from left) * Projected Range miles (from right) / Battery %.

For the most accurate measurement, calculate at a relatively high state of charge to reduce rounding errors.

Alternatively you can use an app like Tessie that will calculate it for you and track it over time. Tessie is reporting 70.1 kWh on mine. You can get a free trial for a week or two. If you want a referral code that will give you a one month trial, pm me.

Last edited: