Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2015 model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, been reading here for a few months. Learning as much as I can about the Tesla’s. I am looking at a used Tesla 2015 S60. I drive an average of 40 miles per day. I am interested in taking a trip from Minneapolis to Wisconsin Dells, WI and it shows but I can do so but not place to charge once I reach my destination.

I know the 85 is bigger and obviously more range. But it’s a lot more expensive. I do worry about the cold winters here. I do have charging available at my office.

From where are you looking to purchase? Given that these cars still have a multitude of potential quality/reliability issues, I would highly recommend buying used from Tesla. At minimum, this will give you a 2y 100k max odometer warranty, or (if under 50k miles) a 4 year +50k more miles warranty. They will all include the original 8y battery and drivetrain warranty.

ev-cpo.com is a fantastic tool.

You should however be aware that the "CPO" title is now a misnomer, as Tesla no longer reconditions their trade-ins for resale, only performing a "mechanical inspection"

You should also make yourself aware of the included features as a function of build date.

I just bought mine (12/31), 2016 70D and I found that the winter absolutely wrecked the range on my battery. I had it on range mode with trip settings so I was showing a full charge at 232 miles. Tried to bring the car to my grandparents that live 97 miles away so my grandfather could see the car one Sunday when it was around 15 out and I couldn't even make it there without stopping to supercharge with roughly 40 miles to go, had to stop at the same supercharger on the way back to ensure I had battery.

My experience is that the cold weather absolutely wrecks your range, so be careful with a 60. I originally intended to buy that one as most of my driving is city, less than 20 a day, but now I honestly wish I had just bought a 100 to reduce my range anxiety.

I just bought mine (12/31), 2016 70D and I found that the winter absolutely wrecked the range on my battery. I had it on range mode with trip settings so I was showing a full charge at 232 miles. Tried to bring the car to my grandparents that live 97 miles away so my grandfather could see the car one Sunday when it was around 15 out and I couldn't even make it there without stopping to supercharge with roughly 40 miles to go, had to stop at the same supercharger on the way back to ensure I had battery.

My experience is that the cold weather absolutely wrecks your range, so be careful with a 60. I originally intended to buy that one as most of my driving is city, less than 20 a day, but now I honestly wish I had just bought a 100 to reduce my range anxiety.
You are saying that fill charge - rates 232 miles, translated to less than 97 miles of continuous (no parking mid trip) driving? Besides temperature, were you fighting a lot of snow, wind, altitude?

You are saying that fill charge - rates 232 miles, translated to less than 97 miles of continuous (no parking mid trip) driving? Besides temperature, were you fighting a lot of snow, wind, altitude?

Nope, flat ol Midwest. Pre-conditioned the car while charging, got in and got on the highway. I was using autopilot for the first 50 miles or so and then switched to just cruise control when I saw I was getting roughly 3-4 mile drop per mile of drive time. I could have made it all the way to my grandparents, but I wouldn't have been able to make it back to the supercharger half way there had I not stopped to charge.

I am worried about purchasing from a private used dealership but the Tesla cars are just so much more expensive and $2000 to ship.

It's more money but you are getting piece of mind with warranty coverage. I decided to wait until I was comfortable doing one directly from Tesla and I'm very glad I did. I have had one small issue so far, my sunroof had a leak, and I asked the tech what it would have cost out of pocket to repair.. that alone had me grateful that I was under Tesla's warranty.

If you don't plan on doing more than your daily commute, I don't see an issue even in the winter (I'm guessing the 90% rated mileage after some degradation for age is 160ish?). I would not try for a roadtrip though.