Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2017 S vs. new 2020 Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found a 2017 used model S with 16k miles, and am trying to decide on that vs. a new 2020 model Y with all the trimmings. The S is a 100D for $71k, and the new Y is about $69k.

I know the 'better car' question may be subjective, but would love to hear opinions. Also, what are the technology differences?

Thanks!

I own a 2013 model S. It’s been great. That said Teslas are like computers. The newer the car the more options and future proofing it is.
Less depreciation with the used model S but more future proofing with the Y. Plus you can always get a used model S in a year if you decide to go that route after seeing the Y

The Y is based on the 3. It will likely have the 3 dash, the front & back seating of the 3.

The S is more comfortable if you are carrying more people (IMHO). 3 fit much easier on the back.

no idea on storage of the Y. The 3 has quite a bit less than the S.

the 3 is more nimble, but the Y with the taller body may not be as 3-like.

If the S has MCU1, it’s apparently a ticking time bomb.

we have a 2017 S100D and a 2018 model 3.

Don’t buy a first generation product from Tesla. Or anyone really.

Eh. I don’t know. I agree to disagree. I’ve owned a first year SPA XC90 (2016) and a first year SPA XC60 (2018) from Volvo. Both cars were/are fine. The only real issue was a faulty coolant return line on the XC90 that required a tow to the dealer for repair. Other than that, both first model year cars have been fine. Maybe luck of the draw, but after owning two consecutive first model year cars, I’m not too worried about another.

Thanks for the replies all. If the Y is based on the 3, I wonder if it will then be less 'first generation'. Seems the only real differences are body height and a bit of flare on the fenders. I was actually considering the 3, but the lack of a power trunk/frunk totally turned me off. Maybe silly, but it seems standard on a car at this price point and coming from a BMW X5 with lots of nice features it's just... meh.

Will probably wait to see a Y in person. Oh, one more question.. do all the new teslas have bluetooth carplay? My wife has an audi a4, it sucks to have to plug the phone in to get carplay.

The new S is not far from that 71K. Only problem waiting on the Model Y is not knowing when you will receive your vehicle. Second thing that comes to mind using Model 3 as an example. they were a more refined vehicle as time went on. The model Y appears to be a model 3 with a bigger roof line. So, to help with your question. if you like the 3 over the S, then it will be exciting to wait for the Y considering receiving the latest Tesla vehicle with amazing build technology.

Reactions: brkaus
In the same situation, I'd choose the S all the way. In my opinion it's way prettier and the Y (sized-up 3). Also going with the Y at launch (first 1-2 years) is most likely a gamble. Who know what shortcuts they'll take just to release it faster...

Reactions: SSonnentag
We bought a 3 last year and were contemplating swapping our Lexus RX with a Y, but ended up picking up a used S for sub$50k in January. We intend to either purchase a Y after we can see it or a used X when that 100D or LR models become more reasonably priced in the used market. In your situation I’d hold off the 6 months until I can see the Y and make a more informed decision. We didn’t want to wait what we thought would be 2 years to get another elec car.

Wow. That's surprising. I use carplay heavily in my car, the new version is great. Hard to believe that Tesla doesn't have it.

I really don't understand why people keep wanting carplay/AA. They are really terrible from an integration perspective. A properly done, ground up system (like tesla's) has far more interest for me. I don't want some add-on hack just to make maps or music work. I think the issue is most like carplay on their car because the infotainment systems on MOST cars are even worse than carplay lol. IMHO the tesla infotainment system is still the best in the business by a wide margin. There are some things they don't do that are important from some people though, so I guess to each their own.

I've found a 2017 used model S with 16k miles, and am trying to decide on that vs. a new 2020 model Y with all the trimmings. The S is a 100D for $71k, and the new Y is about $69k.

I know the 'better car' question may be subjective, but would love to hear opinions. Also, what are the technology differences?

Thanks!
I think this is very personal. I much prefer the feel of the 3 (size, handling, cleaner interior) my wife prefers the S interior, but doesn't like the smaller feeling front windshield (so actually likes the X more). The S trunk is better if you do a lot of biking, but the 3 trunk size is MORE than big enough for a 2 kid family.

I really don't understand why people keep wanting carplay/AA. They are really terrible from an integration perspective. A properly done, ground up system (like tesla's) has far more interest for me. I don't want some add-on hack just to make maps or music work. I think the issue is most like carplay on their car because the infotainment systems on MOST cars are even worse than carplay lol. IMHO the tesla infotainment system is still the best in the business by a wide margin. There are some things they don't do that are important from some people though, so I guess to each their own.

Here’s my opinion: it’s nice to be able to physically connect a high fidelity source of music to your car. How good are Tesla’s sound systems? I have a Volvo with the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, and I use CarPlay to run Tidal, a high bandwidth, high fidelity streaming service to take advantage of that fantastic sound system.

If I was using Bluetooth to connect to my Volvo and listen to that system, I’d have to question my sanity for spending $3,200.00 on said system to listen to terrible Bluetooth audio.

I connected via Bluetooth in the X me and wife drove, and listed to some tracks off my Tidal playlists, and it sounded OK, but not nearly as good as the Bowers & Wilkins.

My hopes are now that you can use Spotify in a Tesla, the sound quality is better, as it should be?

Edit: Volvo has third party apps, and I use Pandora quite a bit also, the sound quality on that is great, so I suppose, I just answered my own question. Can Spotify users chime in about this service on your Tesla’s with “immersive sound”, how does it sound?

Last edited: