Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used S VS Audi A4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This comment right here is all you need to know in my opinion.

The advice I would give to everyone looking at an expensive luxury car is if you have to really think hard to know if you can afford it you should not be buying it. They are by definition a luxury and a terrible financial investment. You buy a luxury car because you want it and you have the money.
An Audi A4 is a luxury car

I test drove an A3 etron. Hated it. Felt like you really had to slam down the brake pedal to get past it's wishy-washy regen braking and actually stop the car. Far heavier than my car at the time (a VW 1.4 TSI scirocco) and felt slower than the VW even though it had the same engine augmented by an electric motor, on the same chassis. And battery was small ...

Looked at A6 / VW Passat (really wanted something bigger than the VW) ... then the MS. No comparison. Completely different vehicle experience ... tbh a little too big for me (M3 for my next car perhaps). Costwise (I'm on a business lease scheme in the UK, probably nothing equivalent available in the states, but big benefit in kind tax advantages for EVs) there wasn't much to choose between the MS and the A6. I went for the intangibles as hmmm (above) advises - decided that I'd have far more fun in a MS ...and I have.

I have a supercharger not far from home - but really you want a home charger (ideally 7kw or higher). The SC is useful back up if your wall point fails (mine did just before Christmas, couldn't fix till afterwards...).

It is only lack of knowledge as to why I thought it was ok and cool to supercharge daily, no need to be a dick ;-)

Sorry for being blunt, or worse, but this is an important point that need to be pounded into a lot of people. If I knew you only a little tap, I would have gone gentler on you. But usually it takes a lot more than a gentle tap to convince people, some of whom will never be convinced...

Solution to charge your Model 3 if you don't have any garage?

If you have no garage and no way to get charging in place at home or at work, then of course you are welcome to use SCs. You may not find it convenient, and in any case you certainly won't need to use an SC every day for local existence. You may use SCs 6 times a day or more during a road trip, but that's a different matter.

If you fill up your ICE once a week at the Costco, then you'll charge up once a week at an SC. Unless you have a garage, in which case you will love being able to wake up every morning with a full charge.

To even ask the question of Model S versus pretty much anything else including an A4 means you need a test drive and perhaps a weekend demo of an AP car.

No other driving experience comes close. And with interest rates so low even for used cars, we are getting near the point when financial sense can be made as well for those who drive a lot. To wit, when you can lease for $500/mo instead of spending $100/week for gas (still easy to do for premium in CA), all of a sudden things make a lot more sense. And we're almost to that point - I wouldn't be surprised if someone leased an inventory 60/75 recently for less, given that someone just leased a P90D for $700/mo.

Craziness. But one thing's for certain - once you drive a Model S (or X if you prefer SUVs), you're well and truly screwed. But in a good way ;)

OP stated he drives ~35K+ per year... Lease is not going to work for him. In addition, saying "someone can lease a car for $X" is not saying much about the actual cost of the lease, as monthly payment is just one variable in the "lease formula". You would need to know a few other variables to understand true cost of such lease. With large enough cap reduction, one can probably claim "I lease Tesla Model S for $200/mo".

It seems to me I am destined to wait for a III, and again I will have a charger at my house I was just trying to reduce cost as much a possible for gas to zero
Some have already mentioned to consider either a Volt or Prius since it would satisfy your needs for long range and reducing gas consumption. If cost is a concern I'd say look for a used one. If not, you might as well go for the Model S.

If you have no garage and no way to get charging in place at home or at work, then of course you are welcome to use SCs.

I wonder how this is determined and enforced? The honour system? The Tesla police? People lie to save money all the time. It's extremely common. I see it all the time in my profession. So while this sounds good in theory, considering 60 percent of people lied at least once during a 10-minute conversation and told an average of two to three lies, I doubt the honour system will work, and I don't think policing it is an answer either. It's working fine now, because there are barely any Teslas on the road compared to what's coming. Those who were told this will be grandfathered in, and rightly should be, but I think Tesla has answered this question for the future...

Tesla Model 3 Supercharging Pay As You Go?

Yes, Tesla removed this when it was discovered, but I think that's only because it was discovered. In any event, only time will tell.

I wonder how this is determined and enforced? The honour system? The Tesla police? People lie to save money all the time.
Tesla onboard telemetry lets them know whether the car is being charged primarily at an available home outlet, or primarily at superchargers, which track you by VIN. Further, they can see your driving pattern the same way - the data connection is in touch with their servers live. That's also how they are able to identify the cause of crashes, since telemetry tells them what was going on just prior to it.

Personally, I don't think the OP would have a problem supercharging just enough to get himself home, since the car anyway tells you when you have enough juice to get home, when you're charging, provided he's also charging at home. I have colleagues at work with longer commutes who do something like this charging at home primarily, but adding a buffer at local SCs when needed to get home, and while anecdotes are not proof, I would still consider it a perfectly legitimate usage pattern . Alternately, OP can ask his employer to provide a 240V outlet or L2 charger, using federal or state incentives for installation.

• Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
woah, hey slow down now mr. moneybags

Nice of out context excerpt to try to make me look bad. Do you take joy in doing stuff like that?

Here's the entire sentence to put it in context:

When I bought 2.5 years ago, Tesla was still pretty new, and no one really knew what to expect about maintenance, so I bought the plan. It gave me peace of mind, and I got to know the people in the service center (since otherwise these vehicles do not require service), and $500 is not a lot for me, so I don't really regret getting it.

I was responding to Chrisshould who was trying to save money by not even putting electrons in his vehicle at his home, and was also asking about using Superchargers exclusively, and then wondered about yearly service. I was saying that paying $500 for yearly service is not even required, but I bought it for the reasons above and because $500 is not is lot for me. It's not a lot for a lot of others here too who bought the plan. These are not cheap vehicles.

Then again, do the facts even matter to you? It's more fun taking a shot at me, right?

Reactions: Btr_ftw