TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Using a single USB drive for music and dashcam

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by pdk42, Nov 5, 2019.

1. pdk42

pdk42 Member

I wanted to use my 128GB USB drive both for music and dashcam usage. However, I found that when I added the "TeslaCam" directory that music files were no longer accessible.

So, I tried playing around and found that if I partitioned the drive with two partitions then both are mounted by the car - so I can put music on one and the dashcam on another.

I can post up detailed instructions if anyone is interested.

• Informative x 1
  2. Kitster

Kitster Member

Thx maybe I'm in the wrong thread but just wanted tips on the cheapest and most reliable usb drive 128gb I could buy for getting my dashcam working. If anyone knows a sure winner pls post a link . Will stick to Spotify for the music for now .

3. Avendit

Avendit Member

Choose one.

I'm using an old 40GB SSD in a USB enclosure. SSD is much better setup for the long term continuous writing that the car will be doing. Proper branded SanDisk or similar topend USB will be OK, but will still likely have a limited life. SD cards targeted at video applications wouldn't be too bad, but then you are needing adaptors etc. SSD in an enclosure will give you many more years of service and won't flake out the one time you need it.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. Cwmwd

Cwmwd Member

Does anyone have any experience with running TeslaCam on a ext4 formatted partition? I've read that it's supported but actual details on how it performs compared to FAT32 seem to be more elusive, other than the odd comment along the lines of "it should be better 'cause of journaling".

5. Cogarch

Cogarch Member

I believe that ext$ does not work for Teslacam. I have a SanDisk 500Gb SSD partitioned into one FAT32 for TeslaCam and one EXT4 for Music.

6. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

What are the advantages of EXT4 for the music partition?

7. Cogarch

Cogarch Member

Not that clear...! I believe it loads the files a bit quicker..

8. Avendit

Avendit Member

I've heard, tho no first hand evidence, that the internal pc punning everything is Linux based. So ext4 is more native for it and -may- help if you are having problems with music hanging, or not resuming etc. Speculation from what I've heard, but with a reasonable logic behind it.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Cwmwd

Cwmwd Member

That's annoying if correct, I was going off this Google result: ext4 now supported for media and TeslaCam disks? | Tesla Collecting tomorrow so I'll have a go and report back.

As @Avendit said it's the "native" format for the OS so should be better supported. EXT4 is what's called a "journaling" file system so, in essence, can roll back it's contents in the event of file corruption. This might be an advantage for TeslaCam as files are being written and changed a lot and some users have reported corruption when, for example, they remove the USB drive without stopping the capture first (in the same way that removing a USB drive from your PC without first "ejecting" it). Also, no need to "defrag" the drive. Not sure the music partition would benefit from EXT4 as the files aren't being changed, only read so less chance of corruption.

On the down side, drivers for EXT4 for Windows machines are hard to find so viewing the TeslaCam footage might be an ordeal for the average user.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Where do people get all the music from to put on the USB?

11. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

On ours is a reduced copy of our CD music collections we ripped over many years.

• Like x 2
  12. Cogarch

Cogarch Member

My accumulated iTunes library dating from the early days of MP3s!

• Like x 1
  13. mmca22gr

mmca22gr Member

I had a friend who had to do a bit of IT work at the local radio station a good few years ago. When he realised that all the songs were ripped to their network he nipped out and bought a few portable drives ;-)

Still not sure I listen to enough music to bother - will probably just stick to teslacam.

14. ElectricJoules

Thanks pdk, I now have lots more music in the car. :)

15. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Supporting Member

Stereo 8 track.

• Funny x 2
  16. pauls2909

pauls2909 New Member

Afternoon pdk42. Am also in the UK in Burnham Bucks and was reading about you using your 128gbUSB drive for both music and dashcam usage. Can you please post detailed instructions on how to do this? Many thanks (Steve)

17. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

plenty of different options available via google - its specific to what you are using to set up the card.

18. Cwmwd

Cwmwd Member

Tried a quick test with a single ext4 TeslaCam partition and it appears to work: dashcam icon and sentry mode appear when it's connected and seems to be recording. I did convert the MBR style partition table for a GPT table, no idea if this is a significant detail or not --- I was following the procedure from here (but on a GNU/Linux PC so different tools):
    [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

19. Trevor EV

Trevor EV Member

It has to be formated to FAT32

20. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

...or ext4!