Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a single USB drive for music and dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I wanted to use my 128GB USB drive both for music and dashcam usage. However, I found that when I added the "TeslaCam" directory that music files were no longer accessible.

So, I tried playing around and found that if I partitioned the drive with two partitions then both are mounted by the car - so I can put music on one and the dashcam on another.

I can post up detailed instructions if anyone is interested.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
Thx maybe I'm in the wrong thread but just wanted tips on the cheapest and most reliable usb drive 128gb I could buy for getting my dashcam working. If anyone knows a sure winner pls post a link . Will stick to Spotify for the music for now .

most reliable

Choose one.

I'm using an old 40GB SSD in a USB enclosure. SSD is much better setup for the long term continuous writing that the car will be doing. Proper branded SanDisk or similar topend USB will be OK, but will still likely have a limited life. SD cards targeted at video applications wouldn't be too bad, but then you are needing adaptors etc. SSD in an enclosure will give you many more years of service and won't flake out the one time you need it.

Does anyone have any experience with running TeslaCam on a ext4 formatted partition? I've read that it's supported but actual details on how it performs compared to FAT32 seem to be more elusive, other than the odd comment along the lines of "it should be better 'cause of journaling".

I believe that ext$ does not work for Teslacam

That's annoying if correct, I was going off this Google result: ext4 now supported for media and TeslaCam disks? | Tesla Collecting tomorrow so I'll have a go and report back.

What are the advantages of EXT4

As @Avendit said it's the "native" format for the OS so should be better supported. EXT4 is what's called a "journaling" file system so, in essence, can roll back it's contents in the event of file corruption. This might be an advantage for TeslaCam as files are being written and changed a lot and some users have reported corruption when, for example, they remove the USB drive without stopping the capture first (in the same way that removing a USB drive from your PC without first "ejecting" it). Also, no need to "defrag" the drive. Not sure the music partition would benefit from EXT4 as the files aren't being changed, only read so less chance of corruption.

On the down side, drivers for EXT4 for Windows machines are hard to find so viewing the TeslaCam footage might be an ordeal for the average user.

I had a friend who had to do a bit of IT work at the local radio station a good few years ago. When he realised that all the songs were ripped to their network he nipped out and bought a few portable drives ;-)

Still not sure I listen to enough music to bother - will probably just stick to teslacam.

I wanted to use my 128GB USB drive both for music and dashcam usage. However, I found that when I added the "TeslaCam" directory that music files were no longer accessible.

So, I tried playing around and found that if I partitioned the drive with two partitions then both are mounted by the car - so I can put music on one and the dashcam on another.

Thanks pdk, I now have lots more music in the car. :)

Afternoon pdk42. Am also in the UK in Burnham Bucks and was reading about you using your 128gbUSB drive for both music and dashcam usage. Can you please post detailed instructions on how to do this? Many thanks (Steve)

Collecting tomorrow so I'll have a go and report back.

Tried a quick test with a single ext4 TeslaCam partition and it appears to work: dashcam icon and sentry mode appear when it's connected and seems to be recording. I did convert the MBR style partition table for a GPT table, no idea if this is a significant detail or not --- I was following the procedure from here (but on a GNU/Linux PC so different tools):
[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]