Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Waze On Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the case in Australia - a police report in Waze doesn't sync to Google Maps, and a police report in Google Maps doesn't sync back to Waze

They remain independent of each other.

Heck, I see more speed camera reports on Apple Maps than Google Maps - but of course Waze remains the most used of all 3.
Thanks for that. I did not know that, but it does not surprise me either. as always YMMV!

Reactions: Hairyman
Be careful. I'm not certain this is legal. You can only have the phone visible for a drivers aid if "the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle" (NSW Road Rule 300(1)(b)). Resting in the charging pod may be deemed to be not "secured". It'll probably be up to the interpretation of the copper who pulls you over.

I'm assuming that the charging pad counts as affixed (Jeda v3), it's a dedicated "mounting" using both gravity and maybe magnets (not sure).
Also, it's out of the way, and I never touch it when driving.
I'm not a lawyer but I'm also not going to stop using it since chances are it's going to help/save me more than a subjective assessment in an improbable traffic cop inspection.

I remembered another reason Waze is a great complement to the Tesla nav system. Waze has the warning tone for when you go over the speed limit for the current road section. And it does this in a useful way, a tone and then it shuts up for a while. Tesla's warning tone I tried but had to turn it off because it keeps bloody sounding every few seconds (from memory, turned it off ages ago). So, if Tesla nav system has the wrong speed noted (very common) then the noise is annoying af.
Again, I'd prefer a perfect combo of my desired functionality in the native Tesla nav setup but this is Tesla so not holding my breath... :p

Reactions: Power Hungry
Not the case in Australia - a police report in Waze doesn't sync to Google Maps, and a police report in Google Maps doesn't sync back to Waze

They remain independent of each other.

Heck, I see more speed camera reports on Apple Maps than Google Maps - but of course Waze remains the most used of all 3.
For years now my experience with navigation in a range of vehicles has been way less than adequate. From our BMW's to Toyota Sahara (for towing) to our current Benz, it's been ordinary. In Brisbane city some years ago the Toyota navigation turned me into a short, narrow, dead end road. With the caravan on it took half an hour to turn around. You might say I should have been more careful but in city traffic with a van on it's easy to lose concentration on maps.

And as recently as a couple of weeks ago our 2017 Benz had me turning left on a bridge over a river right in the middle of the river. I have NEVER had those issues with Waze, it's always been accurate. And when you factor in all the other features, Waze is a no-brainer. IMHO it's such a shame Tesla haven't included Apple car Play. (actually it's not just a 'shame' it's sheer arrogance.)

Last edited:
Reactions: positiv
And as recently as a couple of weeks ago our 2017 Benz had me turning left on a bridge over a river right in the middle of the river. I have NEVER had those issues with Waze, it's always been accurate. And when you factor in all the other features, Waze is a no-brainer. IMHO it's such a shame Tesla haven't included Apple car Play. (actually it's not just a 'shame' it's sheer arrogance.)
The Tesla navigation really isn't the same half-baked rubbish you get in other manufacturer offerings.

I have long suspected that the reason they have put a lot of effort into polishing the navigation, and don't really want you using other navigation tools through CarPlay / Android Auto is that the Tesla navigation puts a high priority on making sure you don't run out of charge. They know that - especially early on - lots of reports of Tesla drivers running out of charge miles from anywhere was going to hurt the takeup of EVs a lot.

It also hands over a significant amount of the software experience to Apple/Google. I would love to have them but I understand why Tesla don't. I've been pleasantly surprised how good the Tesla nav is and how little I've opened Waze or Google maps on my phone.
I agree begrudgingly, it's really only on longer journeys we've used Waze but my most recent experience with Waze on a drive from Noosa yo Newcastle was very, very good. ;)

The Tesla navigation really isn't the same half-baked rubbish you get in other manufacturer offerings.

I have long suspected that the reason they have put a lot of effort into polishing the navigation, and don't really want you using other navigation tools through CarPlay / Android Auto is that the Tesla navigation puts a high priority on making sure you don't run out of charge. They know that - especially early on - lots of reports of Tesla drivers running out of charge miles from anywhere was going to hurt the takeup of EVs a lot.
On the flip side, Carplay and Android Auto lets you run Plugshare on the car. Imagine being able to navigate and check in to a charger on Plugshare using your car!

You can already run plug share using the browser or full screen YouTube hack, but only while in park.
I use TeslOz Cinema

Bookmark in the car’s web browser, it uses the “YouTube hack” to then give you a full-screen browser, and has predefined links to lots of useful services (including PlugShare, ABRP, …) as well as a whole lot of streaming services not otherwise directly available in the car in full-screen.

Again to be clear on this, nothing that uses the Tesla web browser will work in Australia when the car is in gear, so all the above is when in Park only.

I use TeslOz Cinema

Bookmark in the car’s web browser, it uses the “YouTube hack” to then give you a full-screen browser, and has predefined links to lots of useful services (including PlugShare, ABRP, …) as well as a whole lot of streaming services not otherwise directly available in the car in full-screen.

Again to be clear on this, nothing that uses the Tesla web browser will work in Australia when the car is in gear, so all the above is when in Park only.
thanks I try this one as I watch Kayo while charging often :)

On the flip side, Carplay and Android Auto lets you run Plugshare on the car. Imagine being able to navigate and check in to a charger on Plugshare using your car!
FYI, if you have the Plugshare app open to a destination charger on your phone, you can tap the red address pin / address, then tap the Tesla icon and it'll share the address with the car via the Tesla app as the navigation destination.

Be careful. I'm not certain this is legal. You can only have the phone visible for a drivers aid if "the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle" (NSW Road Rule 300(1)(b)). Resting in the charging pod may be deemed to be not "secured". It'll probably be up to the interpretation of the copper who pulls you over.
This is why I'm considering a proper mount, besides the fact my phone doesn't charge properly in the pod.
Although I wonder how long before the countermeasure laws are updated to include any app or software.
My old man was sold on Waze the day it pointed out a parked HWP and several stopped cars. He thought Elon was using satellites to watch the car. :D
His Qashqai is now Waze enabled.

I’ve used Waze for about 8 years, since it was brand new anyways. I typically run Waze on my phone when driving my MY. My daily drive is 48 miles one way on SoCal freeways. If I followed my Tesla navigation system, most days I’d drive 8 miles farther onto more congested freeways spending another 10 minutes on the road.

Waze will say 13 miles to xx freeway. Google will say 4.2 miles like you need to do something there. But it’s just a point in space, no off ramp, nothing. Then another 6 miles to again, nothing.

If Waze is a 10, Google Maps is a 6 at best.

I’ve used Waze for about 8 years, since it was brand new anyways. I typically run Waze on my phone when driving my MY. My daily drive is 48 miles one way on SoCal freeways. If I followed my Tesla navigation system, most days I’d drive 8 miles farther onto more congested freeways spending another 10 minutes on the road.

Waze will say 13 miles to xx freeway. Google will say 4.2 miles like you need to do something there. But it’s just a point in space, no off ramp, nothing. Then another 6 miles to again, nothing.

If Waze is a 10, Google Maps is a 6 at best.
Thanks. So Tesla use Google maps? What does Waze use? In my experience Waze is FAR superior to any Navigation system in any vehicle I've owned. It p****s me off that Tesla won't accommodate it and that in Australia we can't even run it on the Tesla browser through third party accessories.

Nah Waze is all crowdsourced, it's their own street database not shared with Google.
I've heard they use basemaps from various sources. Likely same ones Google uses like OpenMaps, TomTom, I still see Nokia street mapping cars driving around here so maybe Nokia depending on region.

So rather than Waze using Google, Waze and Google draw from the same basemaps then do their own thing from there?
I have encountered a few proposed streets on Waze that were also in Google, but not in Apple, so that's why I thought they might have been linked.

Reactions: GeoQuack