Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 306350

Returning from St George awhile back and stopped at the Beaver super charger. 1st Model 3 I have seen up close. Ours is the MX. Interesting to see the size difference between Mx, M3 and Ms. Before we ordered the Mx, had reserved the M3 but decided against as at 6 ft 7, I was not sure I could fit. Very nice M3 owner let me sit in her M3. Fit very comfortably. Am very happy with Mx but for all those tall people out there wondering about the fit for M3, it should be fine.
What about getting in and out? I'm 6'5" and find the Model S quite comfortable once I'm inside but entering and exiting is less than elegant. Model X was no problem, but I haven't tried a Model 3.

Passing on a bit of humor I saw last night at the Lakepoint supercharger.

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Funny
Reactions: Fiver and Krash
Ive been invited to order an AWD Model 3, but im going to continue the waiting game. Will need to wait for White interior as that is a must. May also keep pushing for air suspension.

Anybody else been invited to order an AWD?

Ive been invited to order an AWD Model 3, but im going to continue the waiting game. Will need to wait for White interior as that is a must. May also keep pushing for air suspension.

Anybody else been invited to order an AWD?
I’m waiting for white, but not air. If Tesla would have actually let me order the first day of AWD instead of giving errors, I’d be on the hook for a P. But given a week to “cool off”, I decided I can’t be patient and that I don’t want to spend the money on a P.

Im on a mission to convince my wife that I need the long range awd. Right now I am attempting to convince her its the Tax Credit that makes the most sense. If I cannot convince her of that, then I will wait for the air suspension.

Stopped into the (very busy) Tesla store on State St this afternoon. They have a red Model 3 on display now in the showroom. It was nice to be able to finally sit in the car and see how it felt. No test drives yet but they said they should have a P3D for that "in a few weeks".

I've seen a ton of Model 3's driving around recently, and there was one (also red) being delivered while I was there to a happy new owner.

Overall impression was that the seats are more comfy then my performance leather ones. Rear seat legroom was ok, but not that great, seemed a lot more roomy then you expect when inside. Not sure about the one screen interface, but that's more because I'm used to the normal setup in my S. Overall it's pretty much what I expected after reading so much about the car.

/edit. One thing I loved was that the steering wheel was smaller then the one in my S. It's about the same size as the steering wheel in my Subi Outback, which I love. I feel the S steering wheel is a bit large both in thickness diameter of the actual wheel and it's overall circumference, but that's personal preference.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KJD and ccutrer
Is it bad that I have already rented and driven one for two days but I still want to go down and sit in it? Maybe I should just wait for the performance car to be in then go down.
There's no "reservation" system to go check it out. If no one is in it, you can hop in. Just don't be rude and spend hours in there when others are waiting. I'd try and go down when it's quiet (like right when they open maybe) or call and ask when's the best least crowded time to go play with it.

Reactions: KJD
I went for a test drive yesterday and it was amazing! There was at least one person there who was taking delivery, and several others getting test drives. It looked like the back lot was pretty full with a good mix of models ready for delivery. I was there at the end of the day and it was the busiest I've ever seen it!

Hey Utah owners! My wife and I are planning to take my S to Salt Lake area for a month or two in the winter (Feb/March). I'm having a hard time finding anything at a reasonable price since it's prime ski season and weekly rentals.
I found one or two places on Airbnb but wondering if someone local knew of other options? Something just on the edge of the mountains for a short drive into all the ski hills would be fine, and dog friendly.
Let me know if you have any recommendations!
Thanks

The supercharger in SLC is very convenient. Snowbird has 3 destination chargers, Brighton has one J1772, Alta also has a single J1772. Park City is slated for a supercharger by the end of 2018 but we’ll see how that goes, but there’s a lot of free chargers (and two free CHAdeMO) here in PC. Lots of free chargers around SLC as well.

Took a test drive in Model 3 today at the SLC store. They do not have the performance version, they have 2 RWD versions. Silver and Black. I drove the silver one. I now get why the reviewers say it needs grippier tires.

Fiver, are you saying the tires have so little grip that you can tell traction control kicks in? The car doesn't appear to have enough torque to spin most all season tires.
It was warm out in SLC, over 90 degrees, and the tires were warm, so they were about as soft as you get and you'd think they would be pretty grippy, but I was making the tires squeal constantly while turning under acceleration. It would squeal a little on a straight line under hard acceleration from a stop, but taking turns aggressively all four tires would squeal quite a bit. Maybe I'm just used to the grip of my P85+, but that caught me off guard.

Beyond that, it's a nice car. Feels solid, driving normally it felt good. I actually really like the steering wheel, it's lower and smaller then the one in my S, and I prefer that. Not a huge fan of the single screen interface, but I chalk that mostly up to being used to the setup on my S. I could probably get used to it. Impressed with the power overall for just being the RWD version. Wasn't fast off the line, but seemed to have equal power to my P85+ when doing hard acceleration starting at 30 and going up from there (like when passing a car on the road type situation.). I liked that when you were moving, if you stomped on the accelerator it took off with seeming the same oomph as my car. Just flooring it from a standstill it didn't have much power at all though, but that was expected.

Has a nice tight turning radius also, so it's nimble to maneuver.

Reactions: mrongey
I was finally able to join the Tesla family last week with my new RWD Model 3! Managed to snap a decent pic of it! Does anyone here have any recommendations for places to do ceramic coating or paint protection film?
View attachment 320806
LUXE is very expensive, but does excellent work. Envision Tint also does very good work, and is slightly less expensive (that's where I did my X). When I get my 3, I plan on shopping around even more (I feel less like I need an expert to deal with the oddities of the car... the 3 is much more "normal" than an X with FWD).