Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 - Car moves to the right side of the lane when passing trucks on AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone in the UK has noticed this apparent new feature in V10 where when passing a truck on autopilot, the car is supposed to move to the right side of the lane when passing trucks. I was passing by a truck recently in narrow lanes and the car stayed dead centre in the lane and got far too close for comfort that i had to pull away myself.

See this video from the brilliant Steven Peeters - fast forward to 6m48s where he shows how his car is reacting (i've also heard this works in the US but my experience above makes me think its not working here...)

I do notice this, i thought it was just my car! When passing a truck or a large van it will move slightly over to the right of the lane if the lorry/van is on the left and to the opposite if the other way around.

My car also seems to sway down the lane on the motorway, like its hunting for the lines all the time. It feels like your on a boat swaying side to side very slowly and not comfortable for people who get travel sick easily.

Davidmc: I don't see any of swaying you mention but i have heard of cars which are doing this recently.

Maybe my example of not moving over wasn't the best test given the lanes were narrow so my car didn't really have much space to move right otherwise it would encroach onto the next lane. I like the idea of this as it is more natural to how we would react when passing a truck so hopefully my observations were just an edge case and it is indeed enabled in the UK!

Davidmc: I don't see any of swaying you mention but i have heard of cars which are doing this recently.

Maybe my example of not moving over wasn't the best test given the lanes were narrow so my car didn't really have much space to move right otherwise it would encroach onto the next lane. I like the idea of this as it is more natural to how we would react when passing a truck so hopefully my observations were just an edge case and it is indeed enabled in the UK!
They seem to be working here, i drive up and down the M1 every day between Leicester & Derby and the lanes are the usual width of a motorway and thats where you notice it when passing a lorry. You notice it more if the lorry is hogging the line closest to you. Also this is when phantom breaking sometimes happens.

I noticed this last weekend on V10. The car now gives a little bit of passing room to trucks on the left - this was on a nice wide road though and guess that if the roads are narrower then it will stay central within the lane. I always thought in V9 that it felt a little close, but given how wide the car is then everything feels close :confused:

I do notice this, i thought it was just my car! When passing a truck or a large van it will move slightly over to the right of the lane if the lorry/van is on the left and to the opposite if the other way around.

My car also seems to sway down the lane on the motorway, like its hunting for the lines all the time. It feels like your on a boat swaying side to side very slowly and not comfortable for people who get travel sick easily.
Mine seems to steer (albeit small amount) a lot, even on quite straight sections of road. It's as though it can only see the lines a very short distance ahead.

My steering wheel is constantly swaying a millimetre or so, it's almost imperceptible, apart from through the wheel for me. Weird though

Mine seems to steer (albeit small amount) a lot, even on quite straight sections of road. It's as though it can only see the lines a very short distance ahead.

Yep this is what it feels like, just wierd that even on a straight, flat patch it still slightly sways

I wouldn’t mind betting that what we’re all talking about, are lorries.. :)

I’ve only driven with v10, and not noticed it liking the right-hand side of the lane.. but it does love a phantom brake when something is at 11 or 1 o’clock. It *really* loves a good hard brake when a vehicle is crossing in front of me (even though to a human, it will easily make it across before it hits)..

Not ‘that’ often though I guess.. in the last week I have learned what it might do, and avoid the situation by turning it off ahead of the problem occurring. Maybe I should leave it on in the hope it learns from my screams :)

Last edited:
Traveled back from London on Sunday morning after a concert at the O2 - at 1am the weather on the A40 and M40 made it seem more like undersea travel - yet still the AP was flawless. I swear the car can see better than I can, and there's no doubt that it made the journey less tiring......

Did you have NoA on? - can’t see as I’m looking on phone so sig does not show - just put in landscape mode so can see sig now. No you don’t. So did it give blind spot detection warning?

I had NoA give up on me Saturday due to ‘bad weather conditions’. I’m assuming it was because it not see behind for lane change due to spray - anyone have experience if mudflaps help reduce spray in cameras vision? AP seemed to keep working though. Not sure how transient the NoA blackout was as whilst the message disappeared after a brief spell, I didn’t notice any clues that implied it was available again. Sometimes these clues are very subtle and unless you know what to look for they are easy to overlook.

[edited as landscape on phone seems to show sig, portrait does not. ]

That's always been one of the problems... even if the screen lines show a bend ahead and even if it shows signs of a degree of slowing for that bend it only centres in the lane immediately in front of itself - hence the problem with those dashed lines that slightly marked on angles or where there are junction lines - or worse when a lane splits into two and a vehicle in front is covering the divergence as you get to it.

Traveled back from London on Sunday morning after a concert at the O2 - at 1am the weather on the A40 and M40 made it seem more like undersea travel - yet still the AP was flawless. I swear the car can see better than I can, and there's no doubt that it made the journey less tiring......

As I understand it the camera sensitivity is nearer the red end so should see bettetr in crap conditions. I also like it in such weather so long as a half eye is watching the screen to be sure it's seeing the correct road markings. I'll use autosteer on A roads in filthy stuff for that reason (though I might pull the max speed down below national if really crappy stuff about)

As I understand it the camera sensitivity is nearer the red end so should see bettetr in crap conditions. I also like it in such weather so long as a half eye is watching the screen to be sure it's seeing the correct road markings. I'll use autosteer on A roads in filthy stuff for that reason (though I might pull the max speed down below national if really crappy stuff about)

Couldn't agree more - I tend to dial back the speed on A roads to 50-55 rather than let it just go.......